Sign in to follow this  
Dennis Wilson

Potential Pick Up Tomorrow - Question

Hello, 

So I might finally be picking up a GT86 tomorrow, 14 plate only 22k miles... Quick question, I'm a little anxious about some alarm issues I've read. Now I know it's not a major issue, but I have a panic that it might go off in the middle of the night and the whole neighborhood will want to kill me. 

Just so I'm confident, and to clarify... The most likely alarm issue will be the sensors being bent on the bonnet or boot? 

ALSO if the alarm does keep going off for whatever reason, as long as I make sure the manual key entry stays loose and I can access the car that way, deactivate with a code (which I'll have to make sure I know) And then re-lock with the car key itself so the alarm doesn't activate? 

If I lock with the car key manually the alarm doesn't activate, so nothing can set it off???

I know it's a stupid worry, but hey that's anxiety for you 

10 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

Mine has never gone off once even in high winds and rain

Same as. I had a 2014 model for 2 years and it never went off. My current one has never gone off either

The most likely triggers for car alarms are:

1. Leaving windows down while locked
  2. Leaving a phone in the car
  3. Scrotes breaking your windows

You can deactivate the alarm via the keypad in the glovebox, using the code you get with the car. The alarm will also stop (temporarily) if you unlock the car with the remote. Be aware that the doors have an auto-relock after 20 seconds if you should unlock by remote and not open a door. Alarms will also trigger on a ferry, when the tilt sensors get a workout and the deck vibrates from the engines.

If there's something wrong with the boot/door/bonnet lock sensors, then you would probably lock it with the pathetic emergency key.

8 hours ago, Dennis Wilson said:

I have a panic that it might go off in the middle of the night and the whole neighborhood will want to kill me. 

The alarm is pathetic, it won't wake anyone anyway.

11 hours ago, Dennis Wilson said:

Thanks everyone. Just to be safe does anyone no which fuse you would take out to stop the alarm if needed??

Probably not as it's not really an issue. The biggest issue with the alarm is that it drains the battery if left undriven.... the alarm won't go off when the battery is flat.

Hi Dennis, in my experience the alarm went off because the sensor under the bonnet wasnt positioned correctly, it's quite flimsy and easy to bend (and to bend back). The alarm doesn't activate if locking the car by the emergency key. But the biggest issue is making sure you have a decent battery. As I think its mentioned above, the battery can go flat quite easily if not driven regularly and you have the smaller powered battery.  Hope that's helpful.