Lmc

Clutch for Fi car

Going to need a new clutch soonish so just doing my research.

what clutch are those with fi cars running?

Will more than likely go for TD stage 2 upgrade at some stage so will need a clutch to hold approx 330/350 bhp.

By chance isn't torque more important then power in relation to aftermarket clutch choice?

Also not sure it's worth so much to higher power, as clutch is not the only thing that might be inadequate, eg. also gearbox (IIRC increased chance to grenade 4th or 5th gear), axle (in addition to stronger forged internals for engine and such. Engine rebuild may cut at rather high budget). Imho if you find basic forced induction packages still lacking, given high cost of supporting mods for even more power .. much better choice seems getting different car.

1 hour ago, Church said:

By chance isn't torque more important then power in relation to aftermarket clutch choice?

Also not sure it's worth so much to higher power, as clutch is not the only thing that might be inadequate, eg. also gearbox (IIRC increased chance to grenade 4th or 5th gear), axle (in addition to stronger forged internals for engine and such. Engine rebuild may cut at rather high budget). Imho if you find basic forced induction packages still lacking, given high cost of supporting mods for even more power .. much better choice seems getting different car.

Your right torque is more important but I didn’t have estimated figures to hand.

as far as the power is concerned it’s each to there own I’m afraid. Love the car but have always in all my previous cars craved more power. I was simply trying to point out my probable future plans to aid in advice required.

I’ll worry about things breaking when & if they do & If I wanted a different car I’d of bought a different car.

anyway back on topic any Fi cars with uprated clutch please feel free to chirp in with what your using and how you find it.

TD's Stage 2 includes a clutch - Details taken from the TD website:

Stage 2 consists of the following upgrades in addition to the stage 1 package:

Upgraded Exedy Clutch Kit
Gearbox Oil
Upgraded Omni Power FA20 Engine MAP Sensor
3 Port Electronic Boost Control Kit
320lph Tuning Developments In Tank Fuel Pump Kit
850cc Injector Dynamics Port Injector Set
Installation For All Of The Above
Dyno Setup & Mapping Including Switchable Boost Maps Via ECUTeK RaceROM

18 minutes ago, will300 said:

TD's Stage 2 includes a clutch - Details taken from the TD website:

Stage 2 consists of the following upgrades in addition to the stage 1 package:

Upgraded Exedy Clutch Kit
Gearbox Oil
Upgraded Omni Power FA20 Engine MAP Sensor
3 Port Electronic Boost Control Kit
320lph Tuning Developments In Tank Fuel Pump Kit
850cc Injector Dynamics Port Injector Set
Installation For All Of The Above
Dyno Setup & Mapping Including Switchable Boost Maps Via ECUTeK RaceROM

Sorry should of pointed out my clutch is likely to go before i get the stage 2 done and from previous experience im not overly keen on exedy clutches.

I have the Exedy clutch in my my FI 86, feels very similar to OEM and stands up to sprinting and track work well. Had all sorts of clutches in previous monsters but they tend to not drive as well.

2 hours ago, KevinA said:

I have the Exedy clutch in my my FI 86, feels very similar to OEM and stands up to sprinting and track work well. Had all sorts of clutches in previous monsters but they tend to not drive as well.

Thanks that’s the info i was after.

Do you launch the car quite hard in sprinting? 

3 hours ago, KevinA said:

As an idea 500bhp 4WD cars with launch control are doing 0 to 64 ft in 1.9secs I'm at 2.1secs with RWD so fairly hard launch.

That’s good times and great info Thanks 

Having to re visit this now as car is booked in for valve recall on 4th jan so need to get a clutch for them to fit before then.

narrowed it down to 3 dependant on availability so just after some advice

im looking at  exedy stage 1 which due to previous experiences with exedy im not overly keen on.

helix uprated clutch which according to fensports website might not be in stock so will need to check monday.

or competition clutch stage 3 but have no experience with them, 

I'm using an xtreme stage 1 clutch from fensport.

Very similar to oem but much better I feel. The clutch is very low which like. After depressing the clutch, hardly have to lift off because its moving. I live in a high traffic area as well and it's more than comfortable.

Highly recommend. Might be worth checking the turbo kit you are going for and just making sure the xtreme 1 clutch torque limit is suitable for whatever kit you are going; presumably td

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, matrixprotein said:

I'm using an xtreme stage 1 clutch from fensport.

Very similar to oem but much better I feel. The clutch is very low which like. After depressing the clutch, hardly have to lift off because its moving. I live in a high traffic area as well and it's more than comfortable.

Highly recommend. Might be worth checking the turbo kit you are going for and just making sure the xtreme 1 clutch torque limit is suitable for whatever kit you are going; presumably td

Thanks 

td turbo kit already fitted & running 289bhp

which is making the stock clutch slip hence the need for an uprated one.

In that case, at that level I would highly recommend the xtreme stage 1. Wont regret it.

I know many recommend the exedy but I haven't tried it myself, but having experienced this one, I wont bother trying others.

I’ve just had the TD stage 1 turbo fitted and it pulled the clutch out on the Dyno. Mike fitted the stage 1 Exedy and although I haven’t done many miles it has all the feel of an oem but with the reliability of being uprated 

38 minutes ago, Burtie178 said:

I’ve just had the TD stage 1 turbo fitted and it pulled the clutch out on the Dyno. Mike fitted the stage 1 Exedy and although I haven’t done many miles it has all the feel of an oem but with the reliability of being uprated 

Glad your enjoying it.

The problem i  have with the exedy is although several people have said it’s great & works fine the specs only rate it up to 160ft lb of torque at wheels & 190 @ flywheel where as im a 234ft lb already and would probably look at Td stage 2 in the not to distant future.

So in reality while it will work for a while longevity will be of concern & having burnt out 2 exedy clutches ( in a previous car) with hard launches on the drag strip when they should have allegedly been up to the job i struggle to trust them.

1 hour ago, matrixprotein said:

In that case, at that level I would highly recommend the xtreme stage 1. Wont regret it.

I know many recommend the exedy but I haven't tried it myself, but having experienced this one, I wont bother trying others.

Thanks will take a look at this kit.