remal

What Spark plugs

With the engine recall on my 86 due in a  few weeks. Booked in local Bristol Dealer I have bought the car from I have searching for what to replace them with. Seem OEM equivalent being suggested. I don't want anything fancy or expensive just wondering what others have bought? 
Are the OEM platinum tip? Just my BIL who is a very talented mechanic and looked after my 86 from new (being Ex Toyota Mechanic) 

Any helpful suggestions more than welcome :)

Given that spark plug change on our cars due boxer layout is major PITA and costs a lot (original procedure even involved lifting engine out for that, though possible to do without too as some DIY guides shown), and due these engines being high compression/high volumetric efficiency ones, i guess toyobaru decided from get-go to use expensive iridium (IIRC made by Denso) plugs to extend replacement intervals for those (my speculation/guess). I'd say to just go with OEM. Not much if anything to gain by hunting aftermarket replacements.

I wouldn't skimp on plugs, just because HKS ones are a bit cheaper. Unless you need a different heat range due to forced induction, then stick with OEM. There is nothing to gain from fitting 'upgraded' plugs. 

Simply in eyes of subaru engineers pros outweighted cons. Obviously harder maintenance cannot be intentional. Yes, boxer engines are very wide, which makes some maintenance tasks harder/take more time & effort, but they also do have their pros, most probably now about. PITA plug change done after lots of miles hardly should be reason to shun boxer engines in general. To me another con of wide boxers - limited clearance for front suspension & wheels resulting in reduced max wheel steering angle without rubbing - seems bigger drawback then some harder to do maintenance procedures, but in same way that's not enough to dislike these cars or these engines as a whole.

Having a butchers on Fensport they have these 

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota/gt-86/zn6/service-parts/gt86-brz-hks-spark-plug-grade-9/

Opie Oils I also use have DENSO Iridium Tough Spark Plug [VXEBH27] - Single Plug 314.95 each.

Only after a quick search and looking at dealers i have dealt with in the past 

When mine went in for valve springs, toyota quoted me £85ish for spark plugs (price of parts). While I didn't have them done, I did check the price elsewhere and found these:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/search/shop-by/q/Spark%20plug/vaa__vehicles_code/59171d13d55cf/
(HKS iridium)

... Four of these is also £85 ish, so I'm thinking that they might be a similar spec to what Toyota themselves would have used (though I don't know, of course...!)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, PeterH said:

When mine went in for valve springs, toyota quoted me £85ish for spark plugs (price of parts). While I didn't have them done, I did check the price elsewhere and found these:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/search/shop-by/q/Spark%20plug/vaa__vehicles_code/59171d13d55cf/
(HKS iridium)

... Four of these is also £85 ish, so I'm thinking that they might be a similar spec to what Toyota themselves would have used (though I don't know, of course...!)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

that's the same as the one's I posted from fensport at the same price 

I got mine from Toyota and they were a similar cost to above, plus they are matched to the engine and ignition system. After 30k they old ones looked brand new. I only changed mine as I had the engine apart for other reasons. You don't need to lift the engine out or rock it on the mounts.