Cadders96

Reverse Camera - only working when started in reverse

Anyone else got a reversing Camera? Need some help! I have managed to wire up my reversing camera and it works but to an extent, basically to get the camera to work I have to start the car in reverse and wait for the headunit to load up fully. Once this is done I can put it in reverse whenever and the camera will work. But when starting the car not in reverse then the camera will not come up at all when started. Any ideas?

I had this issue when I had stock head unit.  Head unit only picks up camera if it's powered during boot hence why it works if you put it in reverse first.  Take the 12v from elsewhere.  12v acc is where I took mine from so powers up as soon as head unit switches on.  Don't forget to fuse the camera.

Probably not the 'correct' way but I paid £10 for my camera & £10 for an adaptor.  Rather than the £130 for a kit.  Already had inline fuses and crimps etc.  Camera is 12v so doesn't have a step down transformer so nothing to get hot.  It is permanently on, it's fused so the camera and wiring is safe, and it's worked flawlessly for the past 18 or so months.

Not sure if cadders has bought a kit or bought the camera and adaptor seperately?

I have the genuine Toyota reversing camera kit from the US. It takes a constant 12v feed (which i have coming off the back of the cigarette lighter) and the stock Headunit decides to switch to it when you go into reverse.

3 hours ago, mart86 said:

I had this issue when I had stock head unit.  Head unit only picks up camera if it's powered during boot hence why it works if you put it in reverse first.  Take the 12v from elsewhere.  12v acc is where I took mine from so powers up as soon as head unit switches on.  Don't forget to fuse the camera.

Where is the 12v acc? I bought the camera and adapters from incartec not a genuine one 

Yes, this is quite common. As said, the camera has to be powered when the HU is powered up or it won't sense it and allow it. The common fix it to take the 12v switched feed at the rear of the HU.

9 hours ago, Cadders96 said:

Where is the 12v acc? I bought the camera and adapters from incartec not a genuine one 

Does the camera have a power lead running along side the yellow RCA cable?  It's been a while since I installed mine but just had a look.  I remember that I bought an F Reverse ISO harness so that I didn't have to cut into the factory wiring.  Took the 12v from the Acc/Switched wire which is the grey and red striped one.  Put an inline fuse carrier in with a 1A fast blow fuse to protect the cable.  You can take it from here or like Leeky said you can take it from the cigarette lighter.

20190619_053839.jpg

3 hours ago, mart86 said:

Does the camera have a power lead running along side the yellow RCA cable?  It's been a while since I installed mine but just had a look.  I remember that I bought an F Reverse ISO harness so that I didn't have to cut into the factory wiring.  Took the 12v from the Acc/Switched wire which is the grey and red striped one.  Put an inline fuse carrier in with a 1A fast blow fuse to protect the cable.  You can take it from here or like Leeky said you can take it from the cigarette lighter.

20190619_053839.jpg

I believe there is a power wire running along with the rca cable. Will have a go with that, bit annoying having to start in reverse. One day I'll forget I'm in reverse and reverse into something 😂