ScoobyBlue

Mishimoto bits

My wife has just got the 86 back from the garage, and got them to put in the Mishimoto induction hose, and she was given more bits back than I thought she would be getting back. Any thoughts please? 

IMG_20190617_185213.jpg

14 minutes ago, ScoobyBlue said:

My wife has just got the 86 back from the garage, and got them to put in the Mishimoto induction hose, and she was given more bits back than I thought she would be getting back. Any thoughts please? 

IMG_20190617_185213.jpg

They've removed the full sound generator piping and the little box goes on the bottom of the intake pipe. Mishimoto provide a bung so you can run the box or not. The mishimoto instructions suggest it's worth a couple of hp to keep the box in. 

46 minutes ago, ScoobyBlue said:

Cheers. Is this still OK or shall I ask them to change it? 

It's fine either way. I kept mine on and had no problems but you're never going to feel a couple of hp

Changing the intake hose shouldn't have altered the driving characteristics of the 86. It will make less noise in the cabin due to the new intake having removed the sound generator piping into the car (down by the pedals behind the carpet).

Can you elaborate on how the car is feeling like a diesel?

• Juddering
  • Noise,
  • Smoking
  • A seemingly endless torque pull (it won't be this on a N/A)
  • The inability to get above 4000RPM.

It's also possible they disconnected the battery. That would reset the ECU and cause the car to behave oddly whilst it relearns a few settings (trying to stall etc). That usually goes after after driving it for a bit. I'd be surprised if they did disconnect the battery for a simple hose swap.

You could confirm that the new hose is tightened down, so there's no air leaks. Use carb cleaner around the various hose ends. With the engine idling, if it perks up, you've got a leak, if it makes no difference, it's sealed.