shaunharper13

Headlight problems

Right we’re to start ... my drivers side headlight started flickering gave it the old bang started working fine after a few day went completely off , changed the bulb a week has gone by now the other side has completely gone off... also my full beams don’t work .... however if I switch from day running back to the headlights (auto) they start working again as normal for a few minutes before they go off again .... I did think it could be the actual clusters themselves but throughout the dayrunning light are always lit even when the headlights go out ..... I know it’s hard to follow especially with my shit grammar but anyone got any suggestions ? Loose wiring maybe or even a fuse ?  

Cheers 

scouse 

Flickering is rather ominous, and definitely into electrical gremlins. Lucky it's summer and the days are long.

How old is your car?

Is there any relay clicking when they go off on their own?

If you have an OBD reader, what's the voltage like when the car is running?

The loss of full beam suggests a fuse may have gone, but what caused it to go?

Do you have any signs of rust in the engine bay, particularly where ground wires go to the chassis?

Can you turn the headlights on yourself ignoring the auto setting, and does the same thing happen?

Do you have any custom electronics in the car, like dashcams and amplifiers?

On 6/11/2019 at 12:33 AM, nerdstrike said:

Flickering is rather ominous, and definitely into electrical gremlins. Lucky it's summer and the days are long.

How old is your car?

Is there any relay clicking when they go off on their own?

If you have an OBD reader, what's the voltage like when the car is running?

The loss of full beam suggests a fuse may have gone, but what caused it to go?

Do you have any signs of rust in the engine bay, particularly where ground wires go to the chassis?

Can you turn the headlights on yourself ignoring the auto setting, and does the same thing happen?

Do you have any custom electronics in the car, like dashcams and amplifiers?

Car is a 63 plate and no there’s no clicking or anything ... I don’t know the voltage as of yet but the full beams work when I have my lights on side lights or even the day running , the engine bay is also is good nick no rust or anything ... but I’ll check the fuses and stuff to stay of the safe side before I start spending money 

Well, the lack of relay clicks would imply the lights are not being turned off by the relay, but by lack of oomph/shorting/ground issue.

Apparently HIDs have ballast to get the filaments lit. You're not the first BRZ-alike owner on the Internet to have issues with high beams, perhaps a faulty ballast can't generate enough voltage to get the second filament going?

Right we’re to start ... my drivers side headlight started flickering gave it the old bang started working fine after a few day went completely off , changed the bulb a week has gone by now the other side has completely gone off... also my full beams don’t work .... however if I switch from day running back to the headlights (auto) they start working again as normal for a few minutes before they go off again .... I did think it could be the actual clusters themselves but throughout the dayrunning light are always lit even when the headlights go out ..... I know it’s hard to follow especially with my shit grammar but anyone got any suggestions ? Loose wiring maybe or even a fuse ?  
Cheers 
scouse 

I have the exact same problem with my driver side headlight. Seems to flicker on and off. Removed the bulb, checked the prices..... put the bulb back in and hoped for the best. Seems to have worked better but I can still notice the flickering whilst driving. No electricals have been messed around with. Only seemed to have noticed it after the recall I had on it. Only thing I can think of is the suspension is hardened and lowered via coilovers which could cause loosening possibly. All I know is the bulbs are supposed to last forever. The earthed housing for the bulb is very dangerous, if you feel you’re not competent enough to be careful, disconnect the battery, there is a LOT of voltage going through there, not a lot of current to kill you but it will act like a taser. Just something to be aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk