matrixprotein

Noise cameras

Articles everywhere regarding the trialling of noise cameras. Google it and see a plethora of em. Lol.. how many of us are going to swap out our systems. Super Res incoming xD

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah I saw this. Good luck to them trying to enforce this.

Its as crazy as the proposed fines for people sat in traffic with their engine running

The problem is they'd need an actual drive-by noise limit and I can't find any evidence that there is one anywhere. I'm actually all for restricting noise limits to a point, but it's how it is done and what the limits actually are that seems to lack definition.  There is little that is more annoying than overly loud car or bike. Bikes seem to be the worst offenders though. 

I looked up the law and there's just a dB value. Not any information on RPM, distance or anything useful. They have been enforcing it in places in Europe, but it varies from a telling off, to loosing your car for 3 days. This includes stock exhaust system on Lamborghinis, Ferraris and McLaren's, looking at the impound list.

I plan in getting away with it while I can, I have a resonated cobra exhaust while it's fine at normal driving, put your foot down and it's fairly loud.

I looked up the law and there's just a dB value. Not any information on RPM, distance or anything useful. They have been enforcing it in places in Europe, but it varies from a telling off, to loosing your car for 3 days. This includes stock exhaust system on Lamborghinis, Ferraris and McLaren's, looking at the impound list.

I plan in getting away with it while I can, I have a resonated cobra exhaust while it's fine at normal driving, put your foot down and it's fairly loud.
I have the same exhaust but my manifold is decatted. Sounds odd they would punish cars that are loud from factory

I've got a decatted manifold and Berk replacement 2nd cat. Yeah, they are also clamping down on stock supercars in the states. I think its 100dB there.

In the Netherlands (where I'm from) they have very specific rules on how to test the DB's from modified exhausts.

If they think your exhaust might be too loud, they can request for you to prove that it is not. The limit of the exhaust sound depends on the brand of the car and the model.

It takes about an hour to do these tests, such as 3 meters behind the exhaust at 4000rpm

I'll try this and see what figure I get.

2 hours ago, DevilsCry said:

In the Netherlands (where I'm from) they have very specific rules on how to test the DB's from modified exhausts.

If they think your exhaust might be too loud, they can request for you to prove that it is not. The limit of the exhaust sound depends on the brand of the car and the model.

It takes about an hour to do these tests, such as 3 meters behind the exhaust at 4000rpm

I tested mine today with my phone. I calibrated the app before in a quiet room as it suggested. The phone was placed on a block of wood, level with the exhaust 3m away. The background noise was approximately 45-50db.

Cold start max was 68db (auto throttle blip on the data log was 1926rpm) and settled at about 60db.

Half throttle up to 4000rpm then held, peaked at 82db and settled at 75db.

This is only a crude test I know, but not that loud as first thought.

I did also hold the phone up to one side, right by the exhaust and it didn't go up by much.

1 hour ago, matrixprotein said:

@graham86 you have a decat manifold and high flow catted front pipe? Does this pass mot on emissions

Yep, road legal for emissions. I'm running and ACE 4-2-1 manifold, BERK high flow cat.

IMG_20190603_161545.jpg

6 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Lots of people seem to have struggled with the Berk. Maybe they've updated the cat blocks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Problems when N/A or FI?

If the tune is to rich, the cat won't like it and cause it to not work 100%

Honestly, I live near Heathrow and can't really hear the planes when they come in, but outside its noticeable. 

If I can hear your car when I'm in my flat it's pretty damn loud, I think those are the ones they are looking at. 

2 hours ago, Kaltorak said:

Honestly, I live near Heathrow and can't really hear the planes when they come in, but outside its noticeable. 

If I can hear your car when I'm in my flat it's pretty damn loud, I think those are the ones they are looking at. 

Hopefully. I'm not making any changes until I'm directly effected. They struggle to enforce the non use of mobiles, I can't see how they can police this too. Far to much work compared to obvious infringements!

3 hours ago, Deacon said:

NA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Ooo interesting, sounds like the re-tune is on the rich side and could be effecting them, or they don't have enough scrubbing power for that richness.

I'm FI.

Another ridiculous bit of legislation targeting motorists. How would you defend yourself if there was a crack of thunder as you drove past one of these mics?

My super-resonator has become quieter in the last couple of months, luckily.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk