Leeky

General FI questions - Rod strength and supercharger whine

3 hours ago, MartinT said:

I've now spoken with Mark at Abbey Motorsport and he has been very helpful, answering my questions and sending me a quote by return.

I need to do some logistics planning but I'm now looking at the Harrop as my potential solution.  It all fits in with my use as a daily car, for road use only, mindful of a very progressive feel especially in the wet and the snow, near OEM installation looks and fairly quiet, making great use of the TD manifold and catback exhaust and HKS intake duct, retaining the stock 2nd cat, limiting the maximum torque in the map to preserve the engine and enjoying the charger's big engine feel.

Have I missed anything?

What’s Mark wanting for the Harrop kit these days? I spoke to him around 12 months ago and it was around £5200 for the DIY kit but the exchange rates been all over the place since. 

Good luck Martin, and enjoy! 

Just to add my two penny worth on the Cosworth set up.  My standard map was tweaked by Matt for the exact exhaust arrangement, so I have a custom map also.  This tweak was available, as I understand it, to all customers who wished to have theirs fine tuned.

Also, my intake pipe used to rub on the bonnet.  For some reason,  the engine of the Cosworth test car sat lower in the engine bay, and it was around this that the set up was designed.  Cosworth redesigned a batch of intake pipes for those with rubbing problems (not everybody) and these were supplied free, no questions asked.  No more rubbing!  

6 minutes ago, Neil-h said:

What’s Mark wanting for the Harrop kit these days? I spoke to him around 12 months ago and it was around £5200 for the DIY kit but the exchange rates been all over the place since. 

It's £4734 inc VAT for just the supercharger at the moment (within the last week).

13 hours ago, MartinT said:

I've now spoken with Mark at Abbey Motorsport and he has been very helpful, answering my questions and sending me a quote by return.

I need to do some logistics planning but I'm now looking at the Harrop as my potential solution.  It all fits in with my use as a daily car, for road use only, mindful of a very progressive feel especially in the wet and the snow, near OEM installation looks and fairly quiet, making great use of the TD manifold and catback exhaust and HKS intake duct, retaining the stock 2nd cat, limiting the maximum torque in the map to preserve the engine and enjoying the charger's big engine feel.

Have I missed anything?

I'd be interested to see this when it's done as a comparison.

Just to add to the previous debate on intake air temperatures, my Harrop runs fairly consistently at +19 to +20 iAT.  The intercooler pump comes on with ignition so is always running.

This is interesting, from wikimotors...

The best choice for your Toyota 86 is supercharger kit, you should install it on FA20 stock internals. Such kits have max boost pressure 9-10 psi (0.6-0.7 bar), and it is enough to receive 280-300 horsepower. It is simple and optimal variant to receive great power.

To receive 350+ horsepower, you need the new fuel pump, fuel injectors, pulley and water/methanol injection. Don’t forget about transmission cooler and aftermarket radiator.
Instead of supercharger kit, you can install turbo kit on the basis of Garrett GTX3076R. Such kit is possible to install on stock internals and to receive 400 ++ WHP, and even up to 500 WHP (sport fuel).
FA20 stock internals keep more than 500 WHP, and if you use sports fuel and adjust ECU correctly, than over 600 horsepower.

Seriously?  More than 500whp from a stock FA20?

5 hours ago, MartinT said:

This is interesting, from wikimotors...

LOL cheers for the share. I enjoyed reading that :)

Wikimotors need to stop hiring children to write their articles lol

400bhp on stock internals. That may last 1x dyno run before lunching itself. Let alone 500/600.

I wonder if anyone on wikimotors has even ever seen a car before.

Plenty of people in the states have run higher power turbo on stock internals for some period of time to say that it's possible. In the early days of this platform many seemed to think 4-500whp was where the limits of the engine were, axles are the weak point and were an earlier failure mode. Over time the engine failures came, but certainly not to all it seems.

They then rebuild the engines or put in a LSx V8