Sign in to follow this  
SimoneDB95

Aftermarket headunit

Any advice on the best aftermarket head units people have? I’ve read/heard Pioneer or Kenwood, both require facia units and accessory cables and extra wires which isn’t a a problem.. Just which is generally a better all round HU. Mainly for DAB, connecting phone for maps and making calls/Bluetooth music 

Cheers guys

I have pioneer avh 8700bt fitted. It has DAB but I don't use it for that, like Tommy I use tune in app if I want to listen to digital radio. I mainly use Spotify which is direct access on this head unit so you don't have to have your phone plugged in. I also use Waze and Google maps, they are always up to date. To fit this I bought all the below which is the harness, fascia kit, aerial adaptor and also the lead to keep the in car USB, although you can run the USB from the head unit into the glove box if you prefer. 

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/toyota-gt-86-car-stereo-double-din-fascia-wiring-loom-antenna-fitting-kit.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwitPnBRCQARIsAA5n84lKw54sVcH5UYC-Z9YnZPL0kAhwu-GQGT1GkGqd_0voY9_FdQdmyhgaAj-IEALw_wcB

And, toyota gt86 2012 car stereo factory usb retention interface cable. £24.99 eBay. 

46 minutes ago, Martys1974 said:

I have pioneer avh 8700bt fitted. It has DAB but I don't use it for that, like Tommy I use tune in app if I want to listen to digital radio. I mainly use Spotify which is direct access on this head unit so you don't have to have your phone plugged in. I also use Waze and Google maps, they are always up to date. To fit this I bought all the below which is the harness, fascia kit, aerial adaptor and also the lead to keep the in car USB, although you can run the USB from the head unit into the glove box if you prefer. 

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/toyota-gt-86-car-stereo-double-din-fascia-wiring-loom-antenna-fitting-kit.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwitPnBRCQARIsAA5n84lKw54sVcH5UYC-Z9YnZPL0kAhwu-GQGT1GkGqd_0voY9_FdQdmyhgaAj-IEALw_wcB

And, toyota gt86 2012 car stereo factory usb retention interface cable. £24.99 eBay. 

Any chance you know of a fitting kit for the brz or know if the same would fit? i had a quick look on that website and wasnt any for the btz :(

I went with a cheap xtrons unit and while it won't be the best it's been pretty much spot on since I installed it a year ago.  It's an android unit with DAB, reverse cam, dash cam, any android maps app.  There's an ongoing review thread on here and I think someone was selling one on here not long back for a good price.

Also if you search eBay you can find the USB retention cable for under £5 posted from China.  That's what I got and it works perfect.

21 hours ago, mart86 said:

I went with a cheap xtrons unit and while it won't be the best it's been pretty much spot on since I installed it a year ago.  It's an android unit with DAB, reverse cam, dash cam, any android maps app.  There's an ongoing review thread on here and I think someone was selling one on here not long back for a good price.

Also if you search eBay you can find the USB retention cable for under £5 posted from China.  That's what I got and it works perfect.

You don’t have a link or name of the cable you bought by any chance? Had a search on EBay but can’t find a specific cable for GT86

1 hour ago, SimoneDB95 said:

You don’t have a link or name of the cable you bought by any chance? Had a search on EBay but can’t find a specific cable for GT86

Item number 382024527405.  Not the same seller I got from but it is the same cable.  It's the same cable across a range of Toyota, Lexus & Mazda and not specific to gt86.   Only one seller on eBay at the moment.  There's more sellers on AliExpress.