MartinT

HKS Intake Duct

I've ordered one of these HKS Intake Ducts, the shorter mark II, to replace the standard snorkel.  Having done pretty much everything else to get NA performance, it seems silly not to replace the snorkel with something better.  Has anyone tried one?

nengun-5047-20-hks-air_intake_duct-c3822

Can you feel any gains at high revs?
Not that I can tell. There is more noise like I say and that makes it feel quicker I believe

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Looking at the standard snorkel, it does look restrictive.  Ah well, it doesn't look too hard to replace so we'll see.

It's not, and Cosworth didn't find it a restriction on the SC either.

13 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I believe they redesigned it because the previous big scoop version restricted airflow to the radiator?

Can't see there being much restriction to the radiator with the old version. From @Badger pictures above it doesn't seem much different to the oem set up in terms of any radiator coverage 

Agreed, but I read that on my search through the internet as to why the design changed.  HKS only talk about "10x the opening" in their blurb.

As for the Cosworth SC, surely forced induction gets around any restrictions in air flow, to a degree?  It's NA that needs every assistance in getting more air into the cylinders.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

surely forced induction gets around any restrictions in air flow, to a degree?

No, you want the least amount of restriction upstream of a positive displacement blower. As said, the OEM design is to help remove noise and resonance. The sizing is perfectly adequate for 200bhp.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49634

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56341

Got it done. Refitting the bumper is a bit of a bastard.

No change in sound that I can detect (so much for all those resonators), but it's a bit more willing in pickup and revs nicely. Not a lot in it, so marginal value.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

I did the HKS a slight disservice.  Further driving reveals a noticeable willingness to rev to the red line - my rev limit light (set to 7000) flashed twice in the last day, catching me out while accelerating onto the motorway.  From that point of view, it's worth having as overtaking is a touch easier.  Still no change in sound from before, which doesn't bother me as the exhaust is loud enough anyway.

I finally (today) removed the bumper and refitted it properly.  Did I say it's an arse?  You really have to guide each tab into its correct location and some just want to go the wrong way which causes gaps and much swearing.

I still like the HKS intake, there doesn't appear to be any downside at all.  It even sucks air at the same height as the stock intake so there is no greater risk of a water lock through deep water.

9 hours ago, DevilsCry said:

I've done the snorkel mod without removing the bumper, quite easy to do and only took me roughly 30 mins.

How did you do that without taking off the bumper?

7 hours ago, Lowe said:

It can be done by removing the bolts/push pins/that black plastic airflow thing securing the top of the bumper and bending it forward a hands width

7 hours ago, Lowe said:

Before you do set about pulling your stock snorkel off check this out

https://www.aemintakes.com/dynocharts/AEM-41-1408-AITS.pdf 

You're probably better off replacing the intake before you replace the snorkel

14 hours ago, Lowe said:

I was inspired by this thread and the results of the tests they had done: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56341

I have not cut mine as far back as they have done it in that thread however, that was a bit too far for my taste.

Simply said, it is a tight job to get it all done, but yet your hands in there and unbolt the snorkel and move it out towards the left hand side and you can pull it out. Cut the snorkel and you can slot it back in via the right hand side.