GT_86

Torque settings - changing discs and pads

Hi All

I will soon need to replace my pads and possibly discs also.  can anyone tell me the required torque settings for the various bolts please?  I also need to buy a new torque wrench, but have no Idea what is a good brand so any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

Darren

+1. My large Halfords torque wrench won't measure down to 18 Nm I don't think, but I suppose there is a time and a place for precision. Sometimes a tweak will do.

My tip is get the grease right. The wrong grease in the wrong place can lead to reliability and maintenance issues later.

If not Halfords I have also had good experience with a clarks one. Comes in a nice case and I keep it in the boot so it is always to hand for torqing wheel bolts on trackdays etc :)

Especially important to get the correct torque on calliper carrier bolts etc as they are very easy to strip if you go too gun hoe! I learnt that in the past on a previous car at my expense :rolleyes:

Nice easy job on the 86 and have a bolt to hand (think its M10) to screw into the hole on the brake disk. Pops it off nice and easy then rather then having the hammer it off the hub...

Ordered pads today, discs are fine. Will fit them with my Son at some point next weekend! Will bee good practise, as my daily will needs discs and pads all round soon. 

Some use old pads as some lever to press in pistons. But imho tools for that are not that expensive, simpler to buy one. I suggest to be double careful for fluid to not overflow out from brake fluid tank (which probably is opened, to ease pressing pistons in). Each corner you do, level will rise. And brake fluid is very aggressive against bodywork paint. So possibly excess will be needed to syphoned out of tank or bled via bleeding screw on caliper.

Fitted the pads with my 15 year old Son today, let him do most of it. Went well given neither of us had done a pad change before. No more sqeaking brakes! Thanks all for the tips and guidance. Gonna be a bit more adventurous tomorrow if I have time, I have new front discs/pads and offside front wheel bearing to fit on my other car.