So I’ve got a birthday coming up at the end of the month & my lovely wife is going to get me a go pro for track days.

Now I’ve never owned one before although my son had one years back.

I'd like to use it with racechrono pro or similar. here is where I'm stuck. I need to know basically how it all works in layman’s terms.

also not entirely sure which go pro to go for so any and all help would be appreciated.

I use GoPro with Racechrono Pro for track days. Its pretty simple and intuitive.

Pair GoPro via WiFi with mobile and the app will find it in "Settings". There you can also set/ change other things.

Dont use GoPro app when starting sessions, use Racechrono and it will be easy for load/ copy video into the app and then export it.

See example video below

Another good app is Harrys Lap Timer, although I find Racechrono more user friendly (and certainly easier to copy files) and I like map with speed and acceleration data to see where I lose time/ not consistent/ etc.

I have GoPro5, which is good enough for me (got it second hand as well). I also used it to record rafting, mountain biking, skiing ... GoPro7 looks like a decent improvement, but for what I use it 5 is more than good enough.

Couple tips/ suggestions:
- get good camera mount. I use Hague, which is a bit pricey and you can make similar DIY. You will have too much vibration with mounting on top of dashboard (although 7 may be better). Dont use suction cap, even with tethering (not worth the risk imo);
- 128gb card, not 64 - once you start in FullHD (dont bother with 4K), 64gb is not enough for a track day. Select high speed one. 50fps.
- get extra battery (you will forget to switch the camera off occasionally, so extra is very handy).

There are cheaper action cameras, but overall I am pretty happy with GoPro and its quite versatile to use in a range of sports.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Deacon said:

@Lmc does it have to be a GoPro? 

Doesn’t have to be but needs to be a proven alternative I would suggest 

3 minutes ago, Lmc said:

Doesn’t have to be but needs to be a proven alternative I would suggest 

I'd recommend a Sony Action Cam. They seem to have better metering and also include the ability to show data without using an app such as Race Chrono or Harry's but can still be used with them.

This is a video I recorded. The Sony Cam also allows for an external mic (as used here) 

https://youtu.be/T0jLWRxko0s

I’ve just ordered a Hague headrest mount too and will be using SJ8 pro camera with it. My last SJCAM was the 5000 wifi, 3 years later after being used in the sea, pool, dropped, exposed to heat etc and also as a dash cam to get the most out of it, it’s still working brilliantly. Expect the SJ8 to be even better. 

On 5/11/2019 at 8:51 PM, VAD17 said:

I use GoPro with Racechrono Pro for track days. Its pretty simple and intuitive.

Pair GoPro via WiFi with mobile and the app will find it in "Settings". There you can also set/ change other things.

Dont use GoPro app when starting sessions, use Racechrono and it will be easy for load/ copy video into the app and then export it.

See example video below

Another good app is Harrys Lap Timer, although I find Racechrono more user friendly (and certainly easier to copy files) and I like map with speed and acceleration data to see where I lose time/ not consistent/ etc.

I have GoPro5, which is good enough for me (got it second hand as well). I also used it to record rafting, mountain biking, skiing ... GoPro7 looks like a decent improvement, but for what I use it 5 is more than good enough.

Couple tips/ suggestions:
- get good camera mount. I use Hague, which is a bit pricey and you can make similar DIY. You will have too much vibration with mounting on top of dashboard (although 7 may be better). Dont use suction cap, even with tethering (not worth the risk imo);
- 128gb card, not 64 - once you start in FullHD (dont bother with 4K), 64gb is not enough for a track day. Select high speed one. 50fps.
- get extra battery (you will forget to switch the camera off occasionally, so extra is very handy).

There are cheaper action cameras, but overall I am pretty happy with GoPro and its quite versatile to use in a range of sports.

Do you have Racechrono pro on iOS or Android? 

46 minutes ago, DGT86R said:

I’ve just ordered a Hague headrest mount too and will be using SJ8 pro camera with it. My last SJCAM was the 5000 wifi, 3 years later after being used in the sea, pool, dropped, exposed to heat etc and also as a dash cam to get the most out of it, it’s still working brilliantly. Expect the SJ8 to be even better. 

Do you have Racechrono pro on iOS or Android? 

That looks interesting will look into it when I get back from work.

Don't have RaceChrono yet but will be on iOS when I get it

I have Racechrono pro on Android

I know HLT works fine on both, its also good for multiple cameras (you can use both mobile camera and external one, or multiple external), not tried Racechrono with multiple cameras though.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Decided on a go pro hero 6 black & will use it with racechrono pro & Hague head rest mount.

Just got to wait until my birthday now.