Sign in to follow this  
Benjie_2

Sluggish

I have noticed my GT86 62 plate is starting to get a bit sluggish, it's just got over 38k on the clock, before purchasing the GT86 I had previously owned a Toyota Celica vvti, loved it I was able to bang my fishing gear into it and head of for miles, this took place each week back then,  unfortunately, I can not do this in the GT86!! first point 1, scratching my pearl gray paintwork  2, can't get my fishing gear into it...

So the car is only traveling from home to work less than 5 miles each way, plus it's all stop-start journey to work, the motor is not getting a real run, so over the last 2 weeks I have decided stuff the mileage just get the motor on the motorway!! so last week I took it on a run from Leeds West Yorkshire to Sheffield & back home which I think is about 29 miles from Leeds center, and today from Leeds to Manchester again I think this is about 32 miles, on the first run out I added some fuel additive treatment which I purchased from Toyota, can anyone give me a few tips how to keep this engine running sweet without breaking the bank?

Cheers 

Benjie

Sluggishness comes from a variety of sources. Some might include:

1. Poor fuel quality
  2. Fouled intake valves
  3. Sticky actuators
  4. Weak spark/fouled plugs
  5. Collapsing catalytic converter blocking the exhaust
  6. Binding brakes
  7. VVT fault

Brake binding can be identified usually by a surprisingly hot brake disc after you stop, and blocked exhaust can manifest in hot smells and glowing exhaust parts. If you're running it on 95 octane, you might put the intended super grade fuel in, and it ought to recover some top-end power. An "Italian tune up" can reap benefits with sticking valves, provided the engine is in good order. Otherwise you're ragging on a sick car which isn't very sympathetic. The spark plugs shouldn't be due yet, and they're a pain to inspect on this car, so maybe look elsewhere first.

If you have an OBD reader, it can be very useful to log and plot the airflow reading. A healthy graph will climb with the odd spike all the way up to 7200 rpm, whereas an airflow restriction or fuelling/ignition issue will plateau much earlier. You can also check fuel trims to see whether the ECU is correcting heavily for some issue. If the car is otherwise ok, you might give it a rag and then immediately poke around in a layby to see if there are any clues as to what is happening.

I had a Mk7 celica too, right up until the oil rings started letting the oil through and the sump emptied within 300 miles. Then I had to let it go... shame about that, it was a nice first car.

It doesn't sound like you are hardly using it at all. Those are very short trips even on the motorway. Just use Shell V-Power and do some actual mileage. 

It's all going to feel sluggish on the motorway for a couple of reasons. 6th gear is long, more so for a car with 150lb/ft of torque. The other reason is you are sat right in the middle of the torque dip at motorway speeds. The car is never going to pull well in that situation.  Just food for thought.