JohnM

OEM wheels query

Just wondering if anybody has put 225/45/17 tyres on the stock 17" wheels.

I have no plans on changing the OEM wheels as I actually like them but will be looking at getting rid of the yoko's when they get low.

You can do and people have  done and are perfectly happy with it. I think 225 is a bit wide for a 7" wheel, so there'll be more sidewall flex and of course the profile will increase. 

As Lauren mentioned - from cons a bit more sidewall flex, thus a bit less sharp steering feel. From pros - 225/45/R17 is very common tire sizing and tires will be cheaper. Tires will fit and 225 is safe to be used on x7, even though closer to one of ends of optimal tire width range for wheel width, so i'd probably think of tires with stiffer sidewalls or getting 215.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

You can do and people have  done and are perfectly happy with it. I think 225 is a bit wide for a 7" wheel, so there'll be more sidewall flex and of course the profile will increase. 

Thanks Lauren.

I went from a 215 to 225 on my other car but the wheel is a 7.5 inch wheel and they are the best tyres I have used especially in the wet.  Cost is another factor as they are £20 cheaper per tyre than the equivalent 215 version but its good to know that they will fit.

If anybody has got any pics of the 225 fitted to a 7" wheel that would be appreciated or even a comparison. 

@JohnM, why do you want wider tyres?

You mention you'd get rid of the Yoko's is that because you want more grip? If so just buy Michelin PS4's in stock size.

Tyre compound is more important than tyre width. 

5 minutes ago, will300 said:

@JohnM, why do you want wider tyres?

You mention you'd get rid of the Yoko's is that because you want more grip? If so just buy Michelin PS4's in stock size.

Tyre compound is more important than tyre width. 

The yokos are to soft for my driving especially in the wet. The 225's feel more stable especially on a RWD car.

The michelins in the 225 are currently £20 cheaper per tyre than the 215 version so Im just weighting up the options at the moment.

PS4's will offer you a huge amount more grip than the Yokos. Going one tyre size up from stock will make little difference to that. I tried a 225 on my 8" wide wheels and the flex was not good, the reduced stiffness on the sidewall was more the issue. I went back to 215's on my 8" wheels and that for me was the perfect combination. I have a lot of grip from the PS4's they are astonishing in fact but I still have the sharpness of response I want. So going the other way and putting 225's on a 7" wheel is not what I'd recommend. It depends how much you value sharpness of response. I don't think you will gain anything by going up a tyre size, it's a lose, lose situation as far as I can see. 

24 minutes ago, Lauren said:

PS4's will offer you a huge amount more grip than the Yokos. Going one tyre size up from stock will make little difference to that. I tried a 225 on my 8" wide wheels and the flex was not good, the reduced stiffness on the sidewall was more the issue. I went back to 215's on my 8" wheels and that for me was the perfect combination. I have a lot of grip from the PS4's they are astonishing in fact but I still have the sharpness of response I want. So going the other way and putting 225's on a 7" wheel is not what I'd recommend. It depends how much you value sharpness of response. I don't think you will gain anything by going up a tyre size, it's a lose, lose situation as far as I can see. 

Thanks Lauren.