GT86Curn

GT86Curn's Facelift build

Hi All,

Picked up my facelift black 86 around a month ago from Cheltenham (Im based in Swindon). Here are photos from the listing:

968883337_Screenshot_20190327-184314_SamsungInternet.jpg.2c0f80a0c6ce2986a5fe252efd9f131b.jpg

1398179510_Screenshot_20190327-184330_SamsungInternet.jpg.42fa32590032e900f1c108734b127518.jpg

229669890_Screenshot_20190327-184306_SamsungInternet.jpg.fd37702f890a6c15f523882c8b0dd5f8.jpg

20190326_171552.thumb.jpg.07665138dd11b506a5967c85c07717e3.jpg

I bought it from a Toyota dealership knowing it had a couple of decent modifications. Spec when I bought it was is:

Miltek unresinated cat back

Fensport remap

Summit racing strut brace

I recently fit a Sard carbon intake pipe (What a work of art!)

20190422_155909.thumb.jpg.76c9e428a9ca58d9085df045d9d5f3cf.jpg

20190423_163717.jpg.8107e8734c7b9af54494577a1239ccde.jpg

I then fit some Focal direct fit front speakers. My last 86 had the JBL system in it so i really did feel the standard system was lacking

20190412_183333.thumb.jpg.7239e280c3fdd4c6192a5a1728799a23.jpg

And thats it up to date at the moment.

On order I currently have a set of 17" Wedssport wheels and next Friday Im booked in to TD for the NA package with UEL manifold and some lowering springs. Ill update when I have more progress!

27 minutes ago, willfmair said:

Nice, look forward to seeing the wheels.

How do you rate the focal speaker upgrade?

Thanks,

The speakers are a good upgrade. They sound very good. Just dont be expecting too much from them as I feel they seem to be held back by the headunit now. Focals are very clear but they dont add that much bass to the sound

You can't get deep bass from a single 6.5" driver without porting (or massive throw), and you certainly can't do that in a door cavity. Sometimes there's no substitute for having a bigger cone. I suspect you'd get more effect out of the units if they door cards weren't quite so flexible. You can really feel the door bins thrumming at higher volumes.

The bluetooth unit on the Toyota headunit seems to have a serious lack of gain, but it sounds reasonable enough from a CD. A better head unit may help, but then so would a dedicated amp.

Hello from another Swindonian 86er - they're starting to get a bit common in these parts, not sure if it reflects well on Swindon or badly on the GT86...

I recently upgraded my whole sound system, you won't get good bass from door speakers.  I had a top end Pioneer HU with nav, Kicker components in the door/dash, and a Kicker underseat sub installed, plus a reversing camera, for about the price of Toyota's JBL 'upgrade'.  My setup is easily enough to shake the car apart without distorting, doesn't need an amp.  One word of warning: an underseat sub doesn't actually fit under a GT86's front seat.  Give Alex at ASC Audio a shout.

kZXN3XP.jpg

10 hours ago, spikyone said:

Hello from another Swindonian 86er - they're starting to get a bit common in these parts, not sure if it reflects well on Swindon or badly on the GT86...

I recently upgraded my whole sound system, you won't get good bass from door speakers.  I had a top end Pioneer HU with nav, Kicker components in the door/dash, and a Kicker underseat sub installed, plus a reversing camera, for about the price of Toyota's JBL 'upgrade'.  My setup is easily enough to shake the car apart without distorting, doesn't need an amp.  One word of warning: an underseat sub doesn't actually fit under a GT86's front seat.  Give Alex at ASC Audio a shout.

kZXN3XP.jpg

Lol Im not sure either!

I saw the post from Alex about your audio setup on facebook. Ive been messaging him about it. Looks like a good set up and I think I may go for it too. I was a little bit worried about changing the stock head unit as I dont want to loose the steering wheel controls but he said it wouldnt be a problem

kZXN3XP.jpg
Where did you get the dashboard part from the leather with red stitch piece

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Alex has done a bunch of HUs on other cars and kept the steering controls so I'm sure you'd be fine. Give me a shout if you want to have a listen to it some time, happy to meet up.  I think it's the same setup Alex has in his Chaser.

@sentinal187 It came from Japanparts, it's from the JDM BRZ tS. I can never seem to find the link lately, I think they call it a "centre console" or something.

Went down the Tuning Developments Friday. Mike and Nick did a great job of fitting the UEL tuning package. Unfortunatly my car had a Miltek system on it and it was cracked when they checked it so I also went for one of there own super resonated systems. 

Car feels so much more responsive now and really wants to fly through the rev range without hesitation. The burble is addictive and really brings out the charactor of the car. Im glad I went for super res system as I wouldnt have enjoyed it any louder.

Whilst at TD I had some 25mm Tein lowering springs fit and the shifter springs.

Yesterday before Japfest I fit my Wedssport TC105x 17" wheels. The things are stupidly light (6.7kg 8" and 7.1kg 9"). I had a set of PS4 tyres fit after reading all the reviews.

Heres how she looks now:

20190504_120251.jpg.c71722219de722b08a0248e51148ad64.jpg

20190504_120245.jpg.10b62f07ca8afa678ac38403e21b051d.jpg

20190504_120156.jpg.6efc5b7a1fc894b66c297c1a64b19e3c.jpg

20190504_120218.jpg.a5ef53bb49760cb58e9db4f150131a54.jpg

20190504_120203.jpg.26e82604c804980deb5c65b2c6f1f263.jpg

Going forward I have spoiler raisers and black badges on order. I feel the car needs coilovers to sit right on the 17" wheels. Im also really tempted by the TD turbo kit 🙈

13 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Nice one. Took a while to identify but you have got the spoiler raised with taller holders😁

👍 Thats right. My mates couldnt spot it! Yeah fitted some Drambeenie raisers. Always been a fan of the facelift spoiler just felt it needed a bit more height.

I'd be interested to hear if the TD super res exhaust with TDs uel manifold is Bedford autodrome friendly for noise? Assuming stock secondary cat?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to hear if the TD super res exhaust with TDs uel manifold is Bedford autodrome friendly for noise? Assuming stock secondary cat?

I would expect so. My is EL, but I have plenty of headroom at Bedford. This week at Bedford it was 85db at 5.5k rev (which I though was a bit higher than usual 80-82db).

Below link is my car

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I would expect so. My is EL, but I have plenty of headroom at Bedford. This week at Bedford it was 85db at 5.5k rev (which I though was a bit higher than usual 80-82db).

Below link is my car

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks vad, I think your turbo will have a lot to say for that low noise though! My powerflow custom back box will be over the Bedford limit. Seeing how the super res cat back will compare

Exactly as Will said, a turbo quietens the exhaust significantly and a manifold only increases the exhaust noise quite a bit, if combined with an aftermarket exhaust. The super res came as a result of the manifold change. So
OE manifold + Res exhaust will be quieter than Decatted aftermarket manifold + super res, give or take
Similar for turbo + res will be quieter than Decatted manifold+ super res typically.

Reason is a cat muffles exhaust sound and so does a Turbo.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

On 5/29/2019 at 6:40 PM, JohnM said:

Can I ask if the speedo cowling is leather with red stitching as standard on the 2017 version please?

I'm on a 67 plate but a early 2018 model, can confirm the speedo cowling is leather, but mine has white stitching. I assume the stitching is the same colour as the rest of the car since all of mine is white, which makes getting the arm rest a pain since all the older ones have red stitching >.> Hope that helps answer your question.

Also GT86 Curn you car looks awesome 😮 wheels match the car perfectly 👍 How does it feel driving with 9's on the back and 8's front? Seen a  few people on forums complaining it makes the car handle odd but never heard anything of the sort from my friends who have staggered wheel sizes on their GTR/ RX7.