Sign in to follow this  
Jim Stevens

Hopefully a newbie soon

Hi all

Just started looking for a GT86 /BRZ to replace a 996. It’ll be mostly a trackday car, but with some road use. 

I’m trying to get my head around the different forced induction options - is there a user-friendly resource that I can use to research all the pros and cons?

I’m looking forward to finding out all about the cars so any advice is appreciated!

many thanks

Jim

There isn't a FAQ on forced induction weighing up all the options as such but there has been many a thread. You could just search for forced induction on the forum. It would probably turn up quite a lot of threads though. The max on stock internals is 300bhp or 280bhp to be safe. But, that is honestly plenty. If you want more you'll need a forged bottom end as the rods are the weak point. 

It's probably better to do your research and then come back with specific questions for your application. Good luck. :)

Welcome Jim, quite a change from a 996 to a GT86 what’s the reason behind it if you don't mind me asking?

To expand on what Lauren said you have a few options on what type of forced induction you can get your hands on;

Superchargers

The likes of Cosworth and Harrop are popular and use a roots type compressor, with air to water intercooling all tucked up in a neat package on top of the engine (Edelbrock offer a similar package but it’s not as commonly fitted). Sprintex offer a similar setup but uses a twin screw compressor and was one of the earliest and cheapest ways to forced induction on the FA20. The other type is a centrifugal compressor using air to air intercooling much like a turbo, HKS, Rotrex, Jackson Racing and Kraftwerks build these kits, it only seems to be the HKS which has been widely fitted in the UK (but these aren’t without their issues).

Turbocharged

In the UK the kits from AVO and Tuning developments are the most popular options. Both proven and widely praised, HKS offer a turbo kit too but its only been released recently so there isn’t masses of background info on it. There are other options available but it can be a bit of minefield as some only fit LHD cars and others need cutting of crossmembers etc. Turbos tend to offer better prospects for big power but unless you intend to utilise it that’s not really a deciding factor.

The FA20 is good for around 280-290bhp before you reach the limits of the rods, these are deemed as your first limitations for power. Due to the sintered construction they can be a bit of a lottery, some let go at 300bhp others quite happily sit at 350bhp. If you do want to push it past the limits then you need to factor in a forged bottom end, stronger clutch and fuelling mods too ££££.

Seeing as the intention would be to track the car and potientially putting >60% more power through the engine an oil cooler and thicker grade oil should be on the cards too.

Hope that gives you a better insight, spend some time running the search function on here and over at GT86owners club. FI is widely done of this chassis so there is plenty of info. Its also worth speaking to the big vendors such as Fensport, Tuning Developments, Abbey Motorsports for more info, they are really helpful and active within the 86/BRZ world.

That’s brilliant information- many thanks!

There are a few reasons for changing. Partly is itchy-feet syndrome as I’ve had it for 4 years. I also don’t drive it as much as I’d like and, while it’s great on track, I deliberately don’t do as many trackdays as I used to do with previous cars just to preserve it a bit. Finally, and this sucks, there’s ULEZ. The 996 is not compatible and I live in Nottingham city centre which is pondering copying London. I know of one early Boxster owner in Bristol that’s just changed cars for exactly the same reason. 

I’ll get searching and keep you updated...