N_Spr

Severe engine rattle

Just now, Kaltorak said:

Mind telling me what the symptoms of the wheel bearing was Lauren and N_spr? 

Had one go at 110K miles. Though obviously it didn't go anywhere.  It just rumbles a bit and gets louder with speed, was making my exhaust sound funny. You will hear it. 

5 hours ago, N_Spr said:

Yeah - that’s what i mean by i’m sure Toyota genuinely doesn’t have it as subject to recall, yet it seems very odd it’s got the exact issue they describe. Seems more than pure coincidence.

Vehicle was registered June ‘14, so it should all be sorted on warranty - always been an uphill battle in the past, however.

You don't know it's a valve spring issue. From what I've heard the car won't even start if a valve spring fails, that your's does points to something else. 

10 hours ago, N_Spr said:

Had the realisation yesterday, whilst halfway onto a trailer, that in less than two and half years of ownership this less than 5 year old car has had two recalls (now three), both windows and workings replaced, a wheel bearing and all four wheels all under warranty - do i really want to be relying on it when i can no longer hold Toyota responsible? They’re great to drive and fantastic fun, but...

All four wheels replaced under warranty?  For what?  That rings some alarm bells; it sounds to me like the previous owner might have given it some abuse.   Recalls are a fact of life, they happen, and there is barely a manufacturer on the planet that doesn't have them - be thankful you didn't buy a diesel VW, they recalled those even though they worked perfectly...

@Kaltorak  - mine was just a high pitched squealing, almost thought i had a burr caught in the brake for a while

Lauren - That’s a fair comment, i’m getting ahead of myself - approved a strip down of the engine today, so we’ll see.

@spikyone - Just corrosion, to be fair. Took a shot at getting them replaced and was very surprised when it was approved, took some pictures and did it the next week. The one easy dealership experience i think i’ve ever had!

19 hours ago, spikyone said:

Fair enough, I wondered what could've happened to justify a warranty claim on all four. I'm impressed they didn't write it off as wear & tear, that's the usual first answer!

I had 3 of mine replaced as well just before I hit 5 years :D 

Hey folks,

I'm the proud owner of a 2017 Gt86 with approx 32K miles on the clock. I also experienced a distinct engine rattle after 25k miles, noticeable under hard acceleration between 5-7k rpm. Took it to the dealer and unsurprisingly said everything was ok. Engine's running fine, no loss of power or other anomalies, but paying attention, it seems to be coming from the gearbox/transmission...any ideas what it may be? Alternatively could something be loose in the engine bay? just doesn't sound as smooth as it did before.

Thanks !

Mine does it sometimes depending on the weather and RPM. It's a fairly harmless sounding light rattle that clearly comes from the gearstick area. I recall there being a fix but I can't find it just now. I believe OP is talking about a much more clattery sound.

Its quite a common issue caused by the gear shift assembly, you can get it replaced under warranty but its a 50/50 chance that its fixed. Mine can be horrific, sounds like your vibrating a bunch of bottle tops, other times its near enough silent.

I’ve had the buzz from the gearstick practically the whole time i’ve had the car - it’s only very occasional, and i didn’t believe there was a fix, so it never bugged me enough to take it to Toyota to complain about

On 4/25/2019 at 10:02 PM, spikyone said:

Fair enough, I wondered what could've happened to justify a warranty claim on all four. I'm impressed they didn't write it off as wear & tear, that's the usual first answer!

I got 2 sets of wheels under warranty for corrosion with my Celica Gen7. The second time they let me keep both sets (I paid for tyres) so when i sold the car it had a set of unused wheels on it - that certainly helped the car sell for top money. :)

On 5/2/2019 at 3:53 PM, N_Spr said:

I’ve had the buzz from the gearstick practically the whole time i’ve had the car - it’s only very occasional, and i didn’t believe there was a fix, so it never bugged me enough to take it to Toyota to complain about

Me too - but I read on the USA forum that there is a fix...apparently fitting a fatter washer behind the split pin where the shifter joins the linkage fixes it. I've not had the time or inclination to strip out the centre console to try it...yet ...but the gearstick rattle is getting worse - kicks in at 4500rpm most noticeable in 3rd.

11 minutes ago, Twigman said:

Me too - but I read on the USA forum that there is a fix...apparently fitting a fatter washer behind the split pin where the shifter joins the linkage fixes it. I've not had the time or inclination to strip out the centre console to try it...yet ...but the gearstick rattle is getting worse - kicks in at 4500rpm most noticeable in 3rd.

I wouldn't waste your time with that one, it doesn't work. It seems the majority of noise is generated by the little metal collar used for the reverse lift lockout. I have a pdf which was emailed to me with a potential solution if you wanted it? Not a 5 min job though unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, Varelco said:

I wouldn't waste your time with that one, it doesn't work. It seems the majority of noise is generated by the little metal collar used for the reverse lift lockout. I have a pdf which was emailed to me with a potential solution if you wanted it? Not a 5 min job though unfortunately.

I'd be curious to see it. It's one thing that really gets on my tits about this car. I'll PM my email.