N_Spr

Severe engine rattle

Just completed a lap of the Scottish coast over the weekend when, about 3 miles from home, as i went to pull off a roundabout, my GT86 (14 plate, approx 63k mi) has suddenly developed what i can only describe as a machine gun like rattle. Stopped the car immediately, before later limping it home - no smoke, no check engine lights, just a very loud, almost plasticky rattle matched to engine revs. Car runs and drives completely normally - nothing whatsoever untoward except the noise. Has anyone heard of a similar issue or have any ideas? Dual mass flywheel, or an engine mount? 

Car was serviced Thursday but has done about 1500 miles since, filled the tank about 10 miles before the issue - definitely petrol.

Sounds mechanical. Not so long ago someone else experienced exactly the same scenario (all good, then rattling as they drove off a roundabout). Turned out to be a broken valve spring. Could be that or a broken rocker arm? Either way I wouldn't start it again and get it looked it.

Fantastic. Believe i’ve warranty till June, but last service was with Fensport & had a cobra cat back fitted - hopefully Colchester doesn’t cause any headaches...

2 hours ago, Varelco said:

Could be that or a broken rocker arm?

Overhead cam engines don't have rocker arms - rocker arms are in pushrod engines

1 hour ago, Twigman said:

Overhead cam engines don't have rocker arms - rocker arms are in pushrod engines

They do

FA20 rocker arm...

es7o0w.jpg

2012-brz-engine-service-manual-42-638.jpg?cb=1361771730

Also how would a SOHC engine work without rocker arms?

5 hours ago, Varelco said:

Also how would a SOHC engine work without rocker arms?

In a two valve per cylinder configuration as many single overhead camshaft engines are, they don't have any rocker arms, the cams work straight on the bucket, just like they do in four valve per cylinder engines with sixteen valves an two camshafts. 

Had been some spirited driving immediately before - a bit more research and a few emails with Fensport have lead me to think it may well have spun a bearing. I’ll be sure to update with warranty progress... 🙄

Trailered to Toyota at Colchester yesterday, tech had me start the car briefly in the carpark before giving a fairly succinct “Yes, it’s knackered”. 

He was fairly certain it’s a valve spring, and has suggested i may have the recall issue? I was under the impression this was only on 2012-13 cars, and have not had any contact from Toyota regards it - might affect more cars than they’re currently suggesting...

Had the realisation yesterday, whilst halfway onto a trailer, that in less than two and half years of ownership this less than 5 year old car has had two recalls (now three), both windows and workings replaced, a wheel bearing and all four wheels all under warranty - do i really want to be relying on it when i can no longer hold Toyota responsible? They’re great to drive and fantastic fun, but...

1 hour ago, N_Spr said:

Had the realisation yesterday, whilst halfway onto a trailer, that in less than two and half years of ownership this less than 5 year old car has had two recalls (now three), both windows and workings replaced, a wheel bearing and all four wheels all under warranty - do i really want to be relying on it when i can no longer hold Toyota responsible? They’re great to drive and fantastic fun, but...

Bound to be a few bad eggs in a mass produced car. You've clearly been unfortunate, but I wouldn't be concerned. It's why the warranty is there, thank yourself these things have been resolved during a warranty period and not found out after.

I wouldn't consider a recall or two unusual on a car that's not a direct evolution of a predecessor. The window rollers are clearly a weak point, and the wheel bearing is disappointing (depending on what you have done with and to the car). It's bad luck with your current issue 😕

I've had one recall, a surprising number of cracked windscreens, but otherwise nothing wrong that can't be fixed with a good detailer or ding remover.

2 hours ago, N_Spr said:

Having just checked my VIN, i’m within the recall range - should Toyota have contacted me by now or are they still preparing for it?

Cars affected by the recall were built between April 2012 - May 2013. This will affect a lot of cars that sat around and were registered sometime later. It's affected 3505 cars in the UK. Looks like you'll get it all covered under warranty which is a result. Could be a new engine. My car has been fab. One wheel bearing, four coil packs and a few other minor things, I use mine as a daily and stil really enjoy it. I'm nudging 128,000 miles. 

Good luck. :)

7 minutes ago, N_Spr said:

Colchester’s just told me i’m not under the recall - should it be every vehicle within that range, or more specific?

Well that is a pity, I guess they need to determine what caused it. They are very specific about what cars are affected in the recall as it was down to the material used in the valve springs not meeting specification, so they will know by the engine number or VIN number. 

Yeah, comes up blank. Same with the toyota-tech.eu link - i don’t doubt Toyota believe it not to be subject, but it’s the exact failure the recall describes, well within the overall production bracket...

Yeah, I saw on the other forum you had already checked.

On the link you posted the English translation has the following footnote.

1. The range of applicable chassis numbers includes vehicles that are not eligible. For details, please contact your local Toyota dealer.

Unfortunately, at the mercy of Toyota although don't you still have warranty until June?

Yeah - that’s what i mean by i’m sure Toyota genuinely doesn’t have it as subject to recall, yet it seems very odd it’s got the exact issue they describe. Seems more than pure coincidence.

Vehicle was registered June ‘14, so it should all be sorted on warranty - always been an uphill battle in the past, however.