Sign in to follow this  
Twigman

Anyone any experience of Mitsubishi L200?

Recently my other car - a Mazda6 estate - was written off by some old duffer parking his Skoda in my front garden after driving through the Mazda and my garden wall.

I am looking at replacing it (and possibly trading the GT86 in at the same time)....

Considered an SUV - something like a Range Rover Evoque but the boot isn't big enough....

So started looking at pickups.....the Mitsubishi L200 with full size locking hardtop is looking like it's currently favourite. They are HUGE - has anyone here any experience with them? If I go for a used one (looking at 2018on 2.4D manual Barbarian) what should I look out for?

Why do you want one first of all, do you need a pickup? I have driven a few (Ranger old and new, Navara and a L200) the reason I ask is they are not driving machines, juicy on fuel and pretty agricultural.

Previously had both an L200 Barbarian and a Nissan Navara ,  both were great when I had 3 sons at home who were into surfing and cycling ,  they are also surprisingly practical on a day to day basis,   to drive they were pretty similar and surprisingly refined and relaxing for long drives,  even non stop  between Newquay and Southern Scotland with 5 on board, full camping gear plus surfboards. 

On the downsides, the handling on B roads could best be described as "interesting"  if you drive enthusiastically,  and as you already know they are damn big,  making some tighter multi-story carparks a no go area, 

On balance, the Barbarian handled a bit better and was less tail happy but the Nissan was better finished  and IMHO a better looking and more refined motor (both were comparable top spec models)

I had no issues with either so sorry can't offer advice on anything to look out for, although I would make sure you get parking sensors or at the very least a reversing camera 

Steve

As to do I need one?

I play bass in a band and often find I have to transport a couple of basses and a bass rig and two children at the same time. My Mazda6 estate coped with this but only by split folding the rear seat....we also go camping often and the Mazda struggled to accommodate everything meaning often compromises would be needed. I suppose I could go with another estate but a pickup with a hardtop is more interesting. I'm attracted by AWD as my driveway slopes steeply and when it snows (admittedly rarely) I am incapable of getting the Gt86 on and off the drive - I used to leave the Mazda out in the road, which is why it got taken out......AWD estates are significantly dearer than the pickups while being significantly smaller. The top end pickups seem just as well appointed internally and just as comfortable.....i could go on

Fast German touring (estate) would be my shout 😀. Then I'm biased as I've got a BMW for lugging people and stuff about when it's too much for the 86. In M spec it's still fun enough to drive. Just my view 😀

AWD won't help you much in the snow if you are on summer tyres. 

I'd probably look at the ISUZU Trooper as cheaper option too or Mercedes X class. The only advantage of the pickup over estate for me is that it is not taxable as company vehicle. 

I am sure most modern estates will be of decent size.