DevilsCry

Shell V-Power > CEL

I had about under an 8th left in the tank and pulled over at a Shell petrol station.

Thinking it would be nice to put premium petrol in once in a while, I put in V-Power (I triple checked it was petrol, not diesel!) and thought it would be fine.

After a few minutes the CEL came on and my immediate thought was > V-Power. I am assuming that it is giving me a false negative as it is running absolutely fine.

However, thought it would be wise to double check and see if anyone else has had any experience with this?

29 minutes ago, DevilsCry said:

I had about under an 8th left in the tank and pulled over at a Shell petrol station.

Thinking it would be nice to put premium petrol in once in a while, I put in V-Power (I triple checked it was petrol, not diesel!) and thought it would be fine.

After a few minutes the CEL came on and my immediate thought was > V-Power. I am assuming that it is giving me a false negative as it is running absolutely fine.

However, thought it would be wise to double check and see if anyone else has had any experience with this?

Keep a eye on the station you used won't be the first time the wrong or contaminated fuel has ended up in the tanks

20 minutes ago, Lowe said:

What do you normally run on if not Vpower?

Good ol' Tesco unleaded .. previous owner always used it. Could it be that it needs remapping?

10 minutes ago, Church said:

Of course not the case of accidental fillup with diesel?

100% not, I made sure it was Petrol and triple checked where the hose went.

Lesser warnings are stored as pending. Then reoccurrence within an off-on cycle can promote it to a fault. It's more likely that you had a code pending, and the switch off at the petrol station gave it a chance to confirm.

Non-flashing fault codes are usually relating to efficiency and sensor failures, so the car usually works but may have reduced capability, such as if the VVT system is on the blink and you can't get max power at high RPM. Or, if you've got a decat, it might just be noticing your emissions are off.

Get a bluetooth/wifi code reader off ebay or borrow one. A quick diagnostic can be useful for determining whether you should complete the journey, or think about limping to a garage.

Also - the standard car is mapped for 98 RON, it can run on 95 but you'll lose top-end power and hence fun. Were I you, I would fill up with Tesco 99 by preference.

17 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

Lesser warnings are stored as pending. Then reoccurrence within an off-on cycle can promote it to a fault. It's more likely that you had a code pending, and the switch off at the petrol station gave it a chance to confirm.

Non-flashing fault codes are usually relating to efficiency and sensor failures, so the car usually works but may have reduced capability, such as if the VVT system is on the blink and you can't get max power at high RPM. Or, if you've got a decat, it might just be noticing your emissions are off.

Get a bluetooth/wifi code reader off ebay or borrow one. A quick diagnostic can be useful for determining whether you should complete the journey, or think about limping to a garage.

Also - the standard car is mapped for 98 RON, it can run on 95 but you'll lose top-end power and hence fun. Were I you, I would fill up with Tesco 99 by preference.

It is just a solid orange light, but I have not noticed a difference in power. The exhaust seemed to pop/crackle a bit which it has never done before.

I'll have a search around and see if I can find a code reader then.

I am not comfortable with putting 95 in a car like this, have always done Tesco Momentum 99 so far, until yesterday.

FWIW mine runs on V-power most of the time. The only times it has responded poorly was when I had to use Esso Supreme. BP ultimate is also fine.

I've never seen a CEL in the car yet, but it's only 5 years old.

It's not the petrol. It would take time to come through anyway. Get an OBD reader on. Shell V-Power is better than Tesco Momentum. Ask any tuner. I only use V-Power with mine and have done for 127K miles. It's an EML, not a CEL, that's for Americans. ;) 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

It's an EML, not a CEL, that's for Americans. ;) 

It's actually a MIL, not a EML 😛 

Without a code this is useless. Did you check the fuel cap went back on properly as that can throw a code. 95-99 RON no matter what fuel type should never cause a code to be thrown unless it causes a misfire or something similar.

16 hours ago, knightryder said:

Without a code this is useless. Did you check the fuel cap went back on properly as that can throw a code. 95-99 RON no matter what fuel type should never cause a code to be thrown unless it causes a misfire or something similar.

Annoyingly enough, I checked it this morning and it felt loose. So I tightened it and ordered a odb reader to reset the CEL/EML/MIL/Yellow light o' Doom.

P0852 is nothing to do with petrol

For the record - in 62 months of GT86 ownership I have used Vpower99 almost exclusively.

Only times I've done something else: I have twice put £10 of BP ultimate (97) and three times put a whole tank of Shell Racing100 in (as that was all I could find suitable in Germany)

Never had a CEL light

The light came back on a week after clearing it so I have taken it back to the garage today.

Suspected the neutral switch was not connected properly so he has cleaned it and pushed it in tightly. Fingers crossed that's the end of it!