Mike

BBK Options

On 4/16/2019 at 5:11 PM, AJ124 said:

No, emailed twice and lost interest. Tbh I have put some club racers in the stock callipers, can do 25min sessions on Silverstone GP without any fade at all. Not sure I need a bbk just yet. 

Only reason for upgrade imo is reduced consumables cost. Club racers do not come cheap!

Bumping an old thread but a reply from Ian at GodSpeed;

We have sold a few of these kits to various different cars including the BRZ/GT86, We have had no feedback of bias issues. The Brembo calipers have 4 x 40mm pistons each caliper. I know a popular upgrade for the rear if you did want to increase the size, is the rear Brembo brakes from a 2008 onwards Impreza STI. 

Yeah Reyland offer their own discs too. Was just a general observation as Godspeed sell their 330mm/6 pot AP kit for the same price as Reyland sell their 330mm/4 pot kit.

A quick note/ update for those considering BBK and consumables cost.

I had a brake judder (only braking from very high speed, cant feel it on daily driving) and took it  to garage to get disks skimmed. It turned out that I have an uneven disk wear (they are more worn at the edges) so skimming would not be cost effective considering how much they would have to skim.

Now I have to decide whether to (a) keep the current disks for next couple track days coming up in August, bear with some judder and then replace them or (b) replace them now with new ones. :wacko:

I have got new disks and pads anyway already.

For reference:

1) Replacement 356mm disks for KSport

- Original KSports - £399 (incl delivery).

- Equivalent from Rayland Motorsport would be £100 cheaper - £295

- MTEC - £290 (although I have not heard much about them)

Considering feedback/ reviews on Raylands next time I would choose them. Disks seem to last reasonably well from reading forum comments.

2) Pads

- Ferodo pads FRP3077H - £230 cheapest I could find online

- ECB Bluestuff DP5006 - cheapest NDX version I can see online is £130 (I bought my current set for £149)

- ECB Yellowstuff DP4006R - I can see £124 per set online.

I am going to try Ferodo when I get discs replaced to compare them to Bluestuffs, but I am quite happy with ECBs and think they are very good for the price. Yellowstuff were perfect for street but did not last very long on track after going FI. Bluestuff are considerably dustier, but pretty good from cold (I expected worse) and noticeably better on track (will see what the wear would be when I replace them).

I really need too buy a car jack and keep 2 set of pads - cheaper and good Yellowstuff for daily and then dedicated track pads for 5-10 track days a year I am planning to do. This would probably be better and even cheaper in the long run.

@VAD17 if you're disks are worn on the edges more then is that an issue with the garage that fitted them, or just the design of the k sports? I thought the whole point of more pistons in the caliper was to give more even pad wear.

I'd definitely invest in a jack to swap the pads although if you have solid ground then you could easily do it with the scissor jack so long as your not rolling around under the car.

These bbk's are great but very very costly on initial purchase and then consumables. You really have to shop around because the price fluctuates so much. 

@VAD17 if you're disks are worn on the edges more then is that an issue with the garage that fitted them, or just the design of the k sports? I thought the whole point of more pistons in the caliper was to give more even pad wear.
I'd definitely invest in a jack to swap the pads although if you have solid ground then you could easily do it with the scissor jack so long as your not rolling around under the car.
These bbk's are great but very very costly on initial purchase and then consumables. You really have to shop around because the price fluctuates so much. 
These disks were on the car from Dec 17, they've been through 15+ track days and now on 3rd set of pads.

First 2 sets were Yellowstuff (admittedly was driving with brake lights flashing for last couple weeks), and its only on Bluestuff I noticed some judder at Brands (and only on corners where I had to break hard from high speed, like Paddock Hill bend), though still managed to beat my previous best lap time.

Pads were replaced by Abbey as part of last servicing, they know what they do.

In fact Abbey mentioned judder is due to pad residue (i tend to overbrake and can see some on the disks). It didnt come off after I tried to rebed the pads.

The unevensess of the disks can be felt if I slide the finger over the disk from the top to center, but I dont notice it on daily driving (unless deliberately braking very hard from 80mph to like
I suspect its a combination of my driving style and different pad compound (some suggest skimming disks when moving to harder compounds, according to my google reading at least).

I will see how bad it gets this weekend and may just replace them before next track day at Bedford (and if bearable will take new disks and pads with me just in case).

Here is the photo of the disks 7d9d135d3a0e72b41fcdfca40d0e40ce.jpg7c13b307748726078b558328f8b89624.jpg96684b8e433551a545d6de6b6d6e4be4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

15+ track days and 3 sets of pads actually make me think those disc have done well to survive so much abuse. I've been in your car and there is reason you added the harnesses.

Id of said you have done well after 15+ trackdays. First photo looks to show pad witness. Where the car as been sat and the pads eat into the discs. I usually pop my pads out if the car sits over winter for example. You can help minimise this by making sure you dry off the brakes before letting it sit. Ie after washing it, just take it for a short run and ride the brakes.