Daninplymouth

Final drive change

Hi, I was just after some feedback on the 4.67 final drive if anyone has any opinion regarding it.

i have always planned on turboing my 86 however the more I think about it the more I think it would be wasted on me 95% of the time I would barely get any chance to use boost as most of my journeys are short 10-15mins so by the time it gets up to temp I wouldn’t get chance to use it before letting the turbo speeds drop.

So this has got me thinking again about changing my fd, I know in some situations it would be quicker and other times it’ll be slower than stock but I think for most of my driving which is sitting around 2-4k driving through traffic the extra torque should make quite a difference would it not?

if I did decide on changing it and eventually going turbo has anyone ran this? I can imagine it being quite lairy but 3rd and 4th fear pulls should be decent

I have an AT, so for me changing FD was a fairly straightforward choice. I have done it at the same time as going TD Turbo route (after going for TD NA package first).

Its certainly more responsive and A LOT more fun to drive, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how much change would it be just due to FD only.

This said, I like my turbo set up because in normal daily driving (in the city for me, rather slow with too many speed bumps) it feels like standard car, but once you on a country road or track its certainly a very different car.

TBF - if I didn't end up enjoying track days so much I would have kept my NA (although NA tune and manifold package is a no-brainer imo and definitely one of, if not the, best mods for our cars).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

We did the maths a while ago, it's a total waste of time, I wouldn't do it. 

I get that from a racing standpoint where it loses out with extra gear changes and if your on track then it may make you slower. But in general day to day driving I can’t see how it can’t be a positive, my thinking is on the local roads which here are 40mph dual carriageways and nsl. when your not really pushing it surely it’s going to have me more get up and go in amongst the traffic when say cruising at 3000rpm

I suppose you have to weigh it all up. A friend of mine spent ages trying to persuade me to do it. Though he only used his car on track and sprinted it. I do a fair bit of touring and my car is my every day car, so there was no advantage in doing 400 extra rpm on the motorway for example. I have done a fair number of Euro trips in my car.  I can't see any problem with having plenty enough fun on NSL roads with the stock final drive, seems just fine to me. It may feel more responsive with a shorter final drive but in the real world it makes little difference, where you gain you lose elsewhere. I also felt that first gear became way too short. I wasn't blown away by one I drove with the lower final drive, I just found the gearing to be a bit short over anything else. Some also complain of diff whine too, which may or may not bother you. 

Lauren: but what do you think of FD+short ratio gearset, that makes 1st & 2nd longer (eg. TRD/Cusco set of FD & gearset)? This way 1st & 2nd stay somewhat same, but other gears come lower. About the only drawback i see is cruising on autobahns in 6th at higher rpms, more noise, worse economy. But for daily driving & track - better acceleration and more usable 5th.

Given your current situation neither option makes  much sense. Your oil temp is barely up to temperature to warrant full throttle and when you do so you're saying you spend that time at 2-4k rpm in traffic. The final drive is a funny one, there seems to be a narrow window where its actually beneficial, I can't see yours being one, ok you gain mechanical advantage but you will be in gear for a shorter periods and at lower speeds, ending up being no better where you were first off. The tried and tested manifold and remap route is your best bet.

Thanks for the feedback. I do already have the TD manifold and map. I know what I’m like so I probably will end up with the turbo anyway but that’s 18months away really so I was thinking of some smaller things I could do to liven it up a bit in the mean time

10 hours ago, Daninplymouth said:

Thanks for the feedback. I do already have the TD manifold and map. I know what I’m like so I probably will end up with the turbo anyway but that’s 18months away really so I was thinking of some smaller things I could do to liven it up a bit in the mean time

If you will go turbo and have a manual car then it's not worth it. You want longer gears with the extra torque, not shorter. Also, as @Lauren said, if you drive on motorways and dual carriageways you end up sitting at higher revs.

11 hours ago, Church said:

Lauren: but what do you think of FD+short ratio gearset, that makes 1st & 2nd longer (eg. TRD/Cusco set of FD & gearset)? This way 1st & 2nd stay somewhat same, but other gears come lower. About the only drawback i see is cruising on autobahns in 6th at higher rpms, more noise, worse economy. But for daily driving & track - better acceleration and more usable 5th.

I've not tried it, have I? I've tried the other shorter final drives and didn't rate them. I think the gearing is absolutely fine as it is. Why change it? 

Lauren: just that there are much bigger "rpm-jumps" between first two gears and rest, so close gear ratio lets easier to keep car in powerband for quicker acceleration. But as those first gears seem ok for daily driving, i wouldn't want them end too soon, rather bring rest of gears down so that 4th & 5th gets more usable on track. CGR+FD combo seems that should be doing just that.

86%20BRZ%20Gears_A4.jpg

I've got the MFactory 4.67 Final Drive. I think it's quite nice and engaging being able to blast through gears.

I wouldn't recommend it for a daily drive. I do 6k miles per year and find it's more consuming on fuel now due to being higher up in the rev range. Other downside I find is that it can be quite a loud 'whirring' noise

11 hours ago, SimonB95 said:

I've got the MFactory 4.67 Final Drive. I think it's quite nice and engaging being able to blast through gears.

I wouldn't recommend it for a daily drive. I do 6k miles per year and find it's more consuming on fuel now due to being higher up in the rev range. Other downside I find is that it can be quite a loud 'whirring' noise

How loud is the whine? And is it constant? Do you still hear it with the radio on? That’s sort of my thinking at the moment I think I might get a bit more fun and engagement rowing through the gears quicker not really bothered about the mpg and noise as I think it’s only about 300rpm difference right

On 4/13/2019 at 9:43 AM, Daninplymouth said:

How loud is the whine? And is it constant? Do you still hear it with the radio on? That’s sort of my thinking at the moment I think I might get a bit more fun and engagement rowing through the gears quicker not really bothered about the mpg and noise as I think it’s only about 300rpm difference right

Most of the time I don't really notice it, I suppose I've just gotten used to it. But occasionally I find I notice it, and when I do I end up listening for it. It's completely bearable, but it's just something to think about

3 hours ago, SimonB95 said:

Most of the time I don't really notice it, I suppose I've just gotten used to it. But occasionally I find I notice it, and when I do I end up listening for it. It's completely bearable, but it's just something to think about

Thanks, are you happy with the change? The more I think it about it the more I think it will suit my driving style more as prob 90% of my time is spent around the city so low speeds and stop start driving 

I had a 4.67 on my first car and while it was fun to have a little extra shove on the open road, in traffic the shorter gears made it a little harder work. I had no noise from mine but fuel consumption suffered and the extra 400 rpm while not sounding a lot, was tiresome on motorway cruises. On track it was swings and roundabouts, suiting certain places better than others. I wouldn't go there again.