Andy188

Subaru Service Costs

My 2013 BRZ is going into to Subaru for the recall doing and while it was going in I though I'll get a quote for a service and new spark plugs while they are at it.

They've quoted me £550 that seems ridiculously expensive to me. It's my 1st time dealing with a dealer for a service so not really sure how to approach it any advice?

The Toyota all-in price for a year 6 service is of the order of £600. Half of that is the spark plug change I think. £80 for the plugs, and a tonne of labour to fit them due to the awkward location.

It sounds like they might be pricing the plug change as if they hadn't already taken the engine out to do the recall work.

They change the oil for the recall anyway. You should effectively get a free service and add the cost of plugs, diff oil and labour for changing diff oil.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

They cannot seriously charge you any labour for changing the plugs seeing as they have to come out to do the recall work. Just the cost of the plug is all you should be paying. Oil and filter is included in the recall too. They will also change your coolant and recharge your aircon. There is no cost for all of that. So if they are doing a full service the only labour should be for the diff oil and the cost of it. 

So to summarise you should only be paying for cost of plugs, cost of diff oil and labour to change diff oil. 

2 hours ago, NJay said:

How much are plugs and diff oil and how long does it take to change the latter?

I got quoted £80 IIRC for the plugs by Subaru when they’re doing the recall, I’m also getting clutch and assorted bits for £375. Diff oil you can price at Opie and its about 15 minutes work to drain and refill.

12 minutes ago, NJay said:

So would £275 still be too high then for what's left of the service, spark plugs and diff oil change?

At least £100 too high is my best guess. 

I do not think £275 is over. It is fair depending on how much labour costs in your area as Subaru do not follow Toyota's approach of uniform pricing across the country as they do not have the size and scale in this country. For e.g. where i and you incidentally live, main dealer labour is circa £100/hr incl vat. Up north Subaru dealers charge £70/hr but premises and labour costs are much lower there. 

Of what's left of service as you say, is only Air filter and pollen filter both of which you can do yourself but if you get it done from the dealer, the cost will be circa 80£ all in. To give a comparable price Toyota charge 80£ for diff oil change as a one off job. Makes it £160 now costing £95 for plugs. It is not a rip off for sure and if i were you i will not take this further and actually sweeten David and Kelvin to say do a good job and take your time with recall rather than save a few £ on service.