vanko25

Oil too cool with oil cooler

Hi all

I am running TD turbo kit and TD oil cooler and been monitoring the oil temp for quite a while now. The oil temperature would not go over 75 °C on the motorway and probably will stay around 80 °C around town.  

That seems a bit cool to me and I am starting to wonder if the cooler is over cooling the oil. 

I have seen Will adding a plate to cover his cooler but mine is behind the intercooler and would be hard to cover it. 

Main idea to install the oil cooler when going FI was to keep it cool in the summer as I have seen 115 last summer on N/A engine through the mountine passes but it was okay at 90 on the motorway.

Starting to wonder if I will be better off without one or even just with sandwich plate type cooler. I am open to any ideas. Thanks!

Ivan

Do you have a picture of where it's mounted? Also, do you have a thermostat installed and what temperature is it? I've changed mine from the supplied one to a higher temp one which helps. 

To be fair I have no idea where it is mounted. It is somewhere on the left side behind the intercooler. 

Are you running TD or Mishimoto oil cooler? It'd be nice if I can get higher temp thermostat on mine. 

@Mike@TD.co.uk would be able to say if the thermostat can be changed. 

I just worry that 75 °C is way a bit too low. 

Mines a HEL set up. Has yours got a thermostat plate mounted below the oil filter? 

If it's mounted behind the intercooler I'd expect it to run fairly hot to be honest as it'd be shielded from the incoming air? 

Jeff

Looking at the photo from TD website there seems to be thermostat plate.

I will have a look tomorrow where exactly it is mounted. 

What temperatures you usually see on normal motorway journey with your setup in current weather conditions? 

Oil Cooler High Flow Kit Subaru BRZ Toyota GT86 FA20.jpg

Mines a Setrab core with Mocal thermostat plate. I upgraded the thermostat to a 92° one. I put duct tape on my bumper grill to block the core but usually see temps around 85-95° ish. Under very light throttle for sustained periods it can drop into the 70's sometimes. 

Thanks for the info, Jeff. 

I will look at getting 92 degrees thermostat and get it fitted with the recall. If you don't mind could you share a link of where you got your thermostat from? 

In the mean time will see if I can get the oil cooler covered with something. 

Thanks a lot! 

What are you using to measure oil temp? Mine is NA and the oem sensor measured with torque read 90°C stable temp on motorway. However my aftermarket one which is mounted in the sandwich plate reads 84°C, so I know it reads a little lower than the standard.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Sam

I am using Torque with OBD II adpater. 

Before the turbo and oil cooler install it was reading 90 degrees as yours. If we assume an actual gauge is more accurate than the OBD reading my oil temp would be even cooler. 

I order the thermostat directly from Mocal over the phone. 

The gauge or torque will give potentially different readings depending on where the reading is taken from. Mines tapped into the sump for instance. 

Jeff,

The TD plate looks very similar to the Mocal one. Will talk to Mike and see if he sort 92 degrees thermostat. 

Didn't know the thermostat can be changed. :D Learning something new everyday.