Sign in to follow this  
Beney86

Coilovers strut width compared to stock?

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been talked about over and over, abit new here and recently got my gt86.

I'm looking at aftermarket wheels/tyres and pretty much got the wheels i want being 18x9.5 38ET. Fitment industries video on wheels says these are the max with 245/35 tyres that will fit on stock suspension. But looking at the Willitfit website and the gt86 specific fitment link, it will hit the strut and needs 5mm extra to clear.

I know various people have said they fit, other saying they need coilovers to fit. Is there any Yes/No answer someone can give me if they've done the same fitment?

The 2nd part of the question is are all popular coilovers thinner than stock? so if i need some coilovers to fit the wheels i want, is it ok to go with Tien flex Z or Bc racing. Cannot seem to find any pictures of the 2 side by side.

thank you for help!

The general consensus like you say is that you can squeeze that setup on using the stock struts but it is very close. Ft86club is loaded with info on wheel setups.

All coilovers are thinner than the stock struts, there isn't anything out there which is wider. Bilstein B14s use wider springs but not as wide as stock.