benmmellor

DAB Aerial options

My current DAB aerial is a bit shit at picking up stations - reception is dire on the M6 as well. Current DAB Aerial is a Connects2 CT27UV67 http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT27UV67

Aerial connection at the back of the Pioneer HU is one of these : Connects2 CT27AA130 http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT27AA130

As I've replaced the stock beesting one with a genuine Toyota sharkfin, so ideally I'd like to use a splitter. There seems to be some issue with fitting one of these splitters with the stock wiring as it says not suitable for an amplified aerial.. Is the sharkfin one amplified or not? Can I do any damage if i try and wire up one of these splitters and try it?

There's 2 potential FM/DAB splitters - I have one of these already in my spares box > https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-pc6-536-car-radio-stereo-headunits-digital-dab-aerial-antenna-splitter.html

Or would one of these be an option with a fakra to female DIN as well > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT27AA152-PIONEER-Car-Stereo-Radio-Fakra-to-SMB-DAB-Aerial-Antenna-Splitter/352075130306

I tried a splitter with the stock sharkfin. In the end I replaced the whole aerial with a dabonwheels beesting style dab and fm aerial.

Kinetic dra-6003 stubby Dab/dab+/SW/me/lw.

Dropped the back of the headlining and fished the cable through2c9bd0a3c27072e6556810ceaeba20c3.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Have a look through Dabonwheels as they explain the different options. Short answer is what badger has.

You can't use splitters as I am pretty certain the sharkfin is amplified to compensate for the compact size.

I have a brand new unused Kinetic DRA-6003 aerial which im going to sell if you're interested (the same as badgers). Easily one of the best you can buy. PM if interested.

23 hours ago, Badger said:

I tried a splitter with the stock sharkfin. In the end I replaced the whole aerial with a dabonwheels beesting style dab and fm aerial.

Kinetic dra-6003 stubby Dab/dab+/SW/me/lw.

Dropped the back of the headlining and fished the cable through2c9bd0a3c27072e6556810ceaeba20c3.jpg

cheers - not really wanting to go back to the Beesting look now I've got the sharkfin.. might just have to try a few DAB options to see what works best for me..

I've had another tinker with another Connects2 aerial which also has an earthing connection onto the pillar metalwork - seems to be an improvement on the quick drive around earlier.

Will be testing M6 reception on the way for a service at TD tomorrow.

21 hours ago, NJay said:

Have a look through Dabonwheels as they explain the different options. Short answer is what badger has.

You can't use splitters as I am pretty certain the sharkfin is amplified to compensate for the compact size.

bugger.. even Nissan/Renault manage a combined DAB/FM sharkfin... might be an upgrade to Andrea's Qashqai at some point.. after I fit the focal speaker kits and bumper 'crossover' kit in better weather lol

The setup I have out performs the oem dab reception on my other halfs 2016 Dacia duster. Where hers drops out in the way up to Norwich mine will stay strong

Hi... I had a the same sort of problem with my Mercedes Vito because I did not want to drill any holes in the bodywork so after much thought I purchased a DAB aerial, removed the gril to the front of the van and and with the help of a metal bracket that you would use for screwing a kitchen unit back to the wall I drilled some holes in the chassis and and fixed it upright and pooped the grill back in.

pcb manufacturing and assembly

Hi... I had a the same sort of problem with my Mercedes Vito because I did not want to drill any holes in the bodywork so after much thought I purchased a DAB aerial, removed the gril to the front of the van and and with the help of a metal bracket that you would use for screwing a kitchen unit back to the wall I drilled some holes in the chassis and and fixed it upright and pooped the grill back in. Result is perfect DAB reception, no holes in the bodywork and you canot see the aerial.

I can confirm that the shark fin is amplified as I discovered when installing a new head unit. Remove the fuse that powers the amp and the signal goes to shit. It's a nice quality signal that the fin/amp delivers.

@Badger can you get away with using the existing cabling for FM+power and just need to route the DAB cable whatever way works? Looking at what you have to remove (basically most of the interior) to get the stock cabling out, it's probably not worth it for DAB!

[mention=3552]Badger[/mention] can you get away with using the existing cabling for FM+power and just need to route the DAB cable whatever way works? Looking at what you have to remove (basically most of the interior) to get the stock cabling out, it's probably not worth it for DAB!
Hi Mike, it's a complete loom from the aerial down as mine isn't amplified. I dropped the rear most section of the head lining to change the aerial over then using some strong cable, pushed it to the front of the car then tapped the new aerial cable to it to pull it through, then run it down the pillar to the dash and too the radio. Running the cable took about 10 mins

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hi Mike, it's a complete loom from the aerial down as mine isn't amplified. I dropped the rear most section of the head lining to change the aerial over then using some strong cable, pushed it to the front of the car then tapped the new aerial cable to it to pull it through, then run it down the pillar to the dash and too the radio. Running the cable took about 10 mins

Ah, the standard one wasn't amplified? Is that a BRZ thing? The 86 one is afaik. The model you mentioned shows a power input + amplified on dabonwheels.

Ah, the standard one wasn't amplified? Is that a BRZ thing? The 86 one is afaik. The model you mentioned shows a power input + amplified on dabonwheels.
To be fair I can't remember 100% but I think the oem aerial has a strange connection plug on the loom so it was easier to just run a fresh wire from the DAB aerial.
03b51da4d2e0c75af3b669235e42f632.jpg

Looking at Martin's thread, the BRZ is different, will drop the head lining and have a look what mines like.

Potentially fitting a reverse camera along the passenger sill so would do the dab aerial at the same time. Not a fan of going near the curtain airbags... I've seen some YT videos of people putting cables over them... 😑

Looking at Martin's thread, the BRZ is different, will drop the head lining and have a look what mines like.
Potentially fitting a reverse camera along the passenger sill so would do the dab aerial at the same time. Not a fan of going near the curtain airbags... I've seen some YT videos of people putting cables over them... 
What is the model year of your car? 2015 onwards has a shark fin.

Decided to get the kinetic aerial. Fitting isn't that bad, but it's something you work out how to do exactly while doing it, so a pain in the arse first time around but probably a lot easier next time.

Don't need to drop the entire headlining, can get away with just the passenger side trim bits, even then it's only the A & C pillars. Took almost all of the old aerial cable out except the piece from the bottom of the A pillar to footwell. Had some blue bits to fit to replace the standard grey trim pieces so was taking all of the center console bits out anyway so ran the new cable along the top of the footwell and up to the back of the head unit. 5m is a little long but nothing that'll leave you with a mass of cable hanging around.