Photan

First Track Day Snetterton

After owning the car for a week, it became time to book a track day (which is the primary reason I got the 86), so me and a work colleague have booked up and evening session at Snetterton on April 18th. My friend will be taking his Focus RS and is quite experienced with track days, I however have never driven on track. 

Currently the 86 I have is bone stock it is a 2017 model so has the cool little track mode button. I don't want to spend fortunes on my first track day so will be using stock tires and wheels for this event however I know that the first big change to the car will be wheels and tires. I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth it to fit some eibach springs just to lower the centre of gravity slightly before my first event.

Would it just be worth it to stay stock for this event is probably more what I am trying to ask? Also, any advice would be hugely appreciated as I am a tad nervous but incredibly excited.

Thanks!

Sam

The stock suspension is fairly good, lowering springs are for looks rather than handling. Of you're gonna do anything fit better front brake pads and fluid, otherwise leave it - it will be fine for your first go. Keep it to 15 mins max if you don't upgrade the brakes.

8 minutes ago, maurice said:

The stock suspension is fairly good, lowering springs are for looks rather than handling. Of you're gonna do anything fit better front brake pads and fluid, otherwise leave it - it will be fine for your first go. Keep it to 15 mins max if you don't upgrade the brakes.

Disks and pads are practically brand new. Maybe some better quality fluid then? 

Seriously the stock suspension is absolutely fine. My advice would be to keep it stock, learn how the car handles and also work on your technique. You can have tons of fun on the Primacy tyre and they last really well, even on track. Don't change a thing, get into your trackdays and when you've done four or five then think about tyres and all that. It is great fun stock. Stock brake fluid is fine, don't waste your money. 

Loads of people will do tons of mods before working out whether they actually need them or not. Take your time, learn the car then when you are ready work out what you need to change. Just enjoy yourself, you'll have great fun. :)

Being encouraged not to spend money on mods! This has never happened before 😂  Yeah maybe its for the best just see how I get on. Hoping to do 1 track day a month so hopefully I can learn a lot a change what I need to as I see fit as you suggest (probably save a lot of money that way as well!).

27 minutes ago, Photan said:

Being encouraged not to spend money on mods! This has never happened before 😂  Yeah maybe its for the best just see how I get on. Hoping to do 1 track day a month so hopefully I can learn a lot a change what I need to as I see fit as you suggest (probably save a lot of money that way as well!).

Seriously the car is up to it. I've done trackdays, racing and sprints for nearly 20 years. I ran mine pretty stock on track for the first year I had it. Primacy tyres, stock suspension, brakes etc, it was absolutely fine and brilliant fun. My car has developed over the six years I've had it, which is fine. For you I'd work on your driving technique and invest your money in that. Give it a year then decide if you want different tyres, suspension, brakes etc. But get to know how the car is stock and get used to learning all the driving techniques. It's a really good car out of the box and very capable. :)

Yeah, familiarising car in stock form is good advice. Grippier tires just will mean higher speeds loosing grip and less margin for error and possibly extra expensive mods along to match tire grip. For track brake fluid and more track capable pads as minimum track prep are highly suggested though. Imho stock pads/fluid limits is first one hit on track/HPDE.

3 hours ago, Photan said:

Disks and pads are practically brand new. Maybe some better quality fluid then? 

It would help avoid fade, but I just remembered Toyota use 5.1 as standard now, which should be ok for your first track day unless you're Lewis Hamilton.

I did a few track days on Primacy tyres and OEM brakes. Brakes were fine until I did an instructor session, stayed out 20 mins driving hard and they smeared over the discs. If you keep it to 15 minutes you'll likely be fine.

I did my first couple track days with a stock car. As many said its perfectly capable and will give you good idea whether and what you may want to modify.
Snetterton is also very good track (although I have only been once there), not too harsh on brakes (but do give them a cool down lap).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I agree with the above. Keep it standard but think about tyres. I found dropping the pressures worked well as they really heat up on track. Then just don't forget to check them before you drive home 😀

3 hours ago, Shippers said:

I agree with the above. Keep it standard but think about tyres. I found dropping the pressures worked well as they really heat up on track. Then just don't forget to check them before you drive home 😀

The stock tyres are hilarious after about four laps, they go off, but are really consistent. Remember mine on stock tyres the first time I tracked it. Went pretty quick for a few laps then drifted everywhere. Great fun. :)

17 hours ago, Lauren said:

Seriously the stock suspension is absolutely fine. My advice would be to keep it stock, learn how the car handles and also work on your technique. You can have tons of fun on the Primacy tyre and they last really well, even on track. Don't change a thing, get into your trackdays and when you've done four or five then think about tyres and all that. It is great fun stock. Stock brake fluid is fine, don't waste your money. 

^ This is absolutely the best advice. 

I'd also recommend booking some instruction, as this can help massively with your technique. 

Finally to confirm what @maurice said, try to keep stint length to around 15 minutes and then rest the car (and yourself) in the pits for 15 minutes before you go back out on circuit.  

My tip for first trackday is to leave the VSC on (probably in sport mode). If you have the skill to fool around with oversteer then fine, but most of us are not as good as we think we are. It won't limit you unless you're really good or drive with fists of ham, and it might just save you from spinning out at a bad time. Some people think stability control is emasculating, but I prefer to have backup until I know my way around the car and the track. Lauren can drift everywhere, but I suspect she can outrun me with only three wheels.

Top priority is to learn the lines - an experienced driver in the passenger seat helps loads with that. I benefitted hugely from guidance on my first day.

I've not taken mine on a track day yet but I was thinking about this recently actually. Let me know how your first session goes, I'm a little reluctant to go on my own but if you sell me on this then I might have a bash myself. 

3 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Have fun on Thursday! The big stop from north of 110mph into left-tight-right is an absolute hoot. Especially when there's a sideways MX5 at the end of it.

Haha cheers! I can’t wait, been looking forward to this for ages. I will keep an eye out for dodgy stray MX-5’s 😅