Daninplymouth

Dans Daily

Hi

Thought i should probably make a little post of what i have done to the car now and keep it up to date as i add things on. Firstly i have owned my GT86 for nearly 12months now and i still love getting in it everyday for my short drive to work. This is the only car in my house and is used for everything and everyday and touch wood so far not one issue in my ownership.

Car was the updated kouki pro edition in white, so far my mods have only been fairly small as i wanted to make sure i had no major issues whilst still in the warranty but i have some big plans in time and am planning on keeping this car until it dies.

First mod i done was the TD resonated exhaust, the tips look so much better and gave the car the much needed sound to match the looks.

next up was another trip up to TD to get their NA upgrade, i went for the EL manifold. The car made 186bhp as it was and left at 205bhp with the standard decent gains across the range. Whilst in i also got the shifter springs fitted as well as a new mtec gear knob. shifting now feels great although it did take a little while to get used to the new knob as its quite long :) and i had the inlet hose changed just to ditch the sound generator pipework.

Driving back though as much fun as i was having i couldnt help but think the exhaust was a bit loud, i thought it would settle down after a few weeks but it never really did. so next i ordered the super res centre pipe from TD to match to the exhaust and got that fitted. To me this has the perfect mix of quietness when needed but still has a decent sound when you want to play silly buggers.

My latest addition has been a new set of wheels, i have never been happy with the stock primacys, to be honest i cant even see how they are legal to sell especially in damp conditions. But rather than replace the stock sizes as the odd size made them expensive i wanted a bigger tyre and to fill out the arches more and didnt want to use spacers. After looking for month upon month and honestly changing my mind about 100 times, i actually changed 3 times in the 24hours before placing the order. i have ended up with OZ Hyper GT's 18x8 ET35. really like the look of these but have only seen them in one picture on a GT86 so im hoping they will look as good as i hope. Just waiting on them to arrive from Italy now then i will update with some photos i have gone with pilot sport 4 225/40/18 which i think will be great. i had these tyres on my previous Focus ST and they handled 330bhp and a ton of torque really well so cant see the GT causing any problems with a lack of grip.

I have a few more plans for the future and i will start saving and ticking things off my list, they are

coilovers, mainly to get rid of the arch gap and not planning on going lower than 20-25mm

upgraded brakes, probably the reyland kit

TD turbo kit, cause powerrrrrrrrrr

Then i would like to at least replace the drivers seat, if i could get something a little lower that would be great and a bit wider. The only other internal part i wouldnt mind changing is the steering wheel to a j-luth/keys so its a bit smaller and sits a bit closer to me as i have long legs it should make it more comfortable and help with a better driving postion

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Looks great, but I bet now you want to lower it. 😂

Yes just a tad just saving again now. Can’t quite decide though on coilovers first or the ap brake kit 🤔 but that’s my next 2 priorities then it’ll be back to TD for the turbo 😁

1 hour ago, Daninplymouth said:

Yes just a tad just saving again now. Can’t quite decide though on coilovers first or the ap brake kit 🤔 but that’s my next 2 priorities then it’ll be back to TD for the turbo 😁

Are you planning on tracking your car?

28 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

Going to venture on the odd day or 2, I’m mainly after the big brakes for the looks 🤷🏼‍♂️

Fair enough.

i think you’ll gain much more visually from coilovers than you will from a brake kit so I would get coilovers first if it was me.

Just had another trip back to TD to get a few little bits ready so the car is now fully sorted for the summer and a trip to the ring later in the year. I went for the ebc yellowstuff pads and braided line package, i ran these on my previous car and was impressed with how they handled that so it should only be better on the lighter Toyota. I also got the cam plate cover changed to just help stop any leaks before it does happen and the 4.67 final drive. It’s only been a day but so far the pads seem to be bedding in well, had plenty of chances to use them on the way home as the M6 was a carpark for most of the journey.

The FD change definitely feels a lot better to me, I will do another review in a week or 2 but so far so good only downside is now at a true 75mph the revs are about 350 more than before but to be honest the mpg didn’t seem to bad on the screen the limited time I could put my foot down but it definitely has a bit more go on the motorway when I’m 6th. Also I think it might help my mpg as a lot of my driving is around town and I think I can now comfortably go 1 gear higher than I would as standard, got a lot of 30&40mph roads here and now it sits quite nice in 6th at just over 40 with out to much strain on the engine as standard the display was always telling me to change from 5th to 6th but it never seemed very happy at this low revs about 1600rpm whereas now it sits at 2000rpm in 6th and seems a lot smoother. 

I also got a couple of changes made to my map as I was never happy with the low idle these cars have so I bumped that up to about 1000rpm and also had the full power map’s throttle sensitively lowered a bit and again it’s only been a day but it feels so much nicer with the map and diff change even the wife commented that it seems so much smoother

Yet another trip to TD just been completed, this time was a set of flex A’s and rear lca’s.

Iv not had a massive chance to push them as the car was completely full on the return trip but after unloading it I had a quick 30min blast on own and I am really impressed.

I went 30-35mm lower, planned on 25mm but to get the look I was after we decided to go a bit lower again. No issues with speed bumps or multi story car parks 👍🏻

The car feels much more planted and flat when cornering hard.

696A76C9-FD8A-4DD6-8EDF-D5FE00CB5277.jpeg

As seems to be the running theme here, I am now on my way back up to TD to collect the car after leaving it there for the past 10days. 
Couldn’t help myself so decided it was time to stick the Turbo on, got their oil cooler too. 
excited is an understatement and then the car is over to cadwell park tomorrow 😀

1 hour ago, spikyone said:

That's a decent number, and looks like a nice linear delivery too. What exhaust setup are you running now? Full decat?

Full decat with the TD super res cat back and had the turbo plumbed back in rather than a screamer pipe. It is quite quiet but I think I prefer it now feels very oem

Bit of a follow up now on the turbo as although it’s only been a few days I have spent far to long in the car for my liking.

i think it is a great mod and really now feel this is how the car should’ve been from the factory or offered as an upgrade R type model or something.

the boost picks up really well and comes on nice and strong, it is so smooth though I would imagine it’s very similar to a supercharger. 

paired with the super res cat back the exhaust note has really calmed down, Mike thought it was to quiet. But after a disaster at cadwell I was pleased it was running as it was on a late night run across the country. You get the nice induction noise as the turbo starts spoiling and the classic pssst when letting off, I had mine recirculated back into the system and you can still hear this fine inside the car. 

also had the TD oil cooler fitted and this dropped my temps a good 20-30degress, before long road trips I would sit at 105-110 where as now it seems about 85. At my last track outing my oil got to almost 130degrees and this was at about 2degrees ambient air temp. Yesterday it was at 90-100 or so max