Swinginking

Tein Street Basis VS Street Basis Z

Nobody runs these as it's only a small upgrade to go to Street Advance with 5/5kg springs which is a good road setup. Most go for TEIN Flex A (rebuildable and hydropneumatic bumpstops) or Flex Z. 

So the answer is I don't know because I've never know anybody who runs these. 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:09 PM, Church said:

+1 to Flex A/Z being more common & safer tried choice.

Fair, I guess its best to save for Flex Z - I wonder if there are other options with a reasonable price that have a similar dampening control system ( Tein EDFC )

"Save for"? Aren't Flex Zs already among cheapest bunch with relatively good quality and rich package for that price point? I wouldn't consider other coilovers at that or even lower price point, at most - struts only, like koni yellows or bilstein B6. Imho other coilover alternatives at that budget might be seriously quality compromised, and by then about only sensible the very cheapest option seems buying and retrofitting slightly used shocks from MY2017 twins on early twins. You haven't stated your intended goals, wishes, budget, but by seeing coilovers brought up at all, i wildly guess, it's for lowering car? That imho strikes out most cheapest options that aren't height/dampening adjustable and still have reasonable quality, except maybe lowering springs for use on stock shocks, so i'd consider flex z as very entry cheapest budget point for such.

17 minutes ago, Church said:

"Save for"? Aren't Flex Zs already among cheapest bunch with relatively good quality and rich package for that price point? I wouldn't consider other coilovers at that or even lower price point, at most - struts only, like koni yellows or bilstein B6. Imho other coilover alternatives at that budget might be seriously quality compromised, and by then about only sensible the very cheapest option seems buying and retrofitting slightly used shocks from MY2017 twins on early twins. 

I say save for, as I intend on running them with the EDFC Active Pro - thus bringing the total around 1.3k, which seems to be quite close in terms of price point to BC ER Coilovers or KW V3. Thats why I mention if there might be a better option altogether with similar sort of control system for adjustable dampening.

As you say, on their own the Flex Z's or even Flex A may indeed be the 'best for cost'.

5 hours ago, Swinginking said:

Fair, I guess its best to save for Flex Z - I wonder if there are other options with a reasonable price that have a similar dampening control system ( Tein EDFC )

There aren't really any similar systems, especially so if you look at EDFC Active Pro.  You need a minimum of Street Advance to run it. Save up I would say. 

5 hours ago, Swinginking said:

I say save for, as I intend on running them with the EDFC Active Pro - thus bringing the total around 1.3k, which seems to be quite close in terms of price point to BC ER Coilovers or KW V3. Thats why I mention if there might be a better option altogether with similar sort of control system for adjustable dampening.

As you say, on their own the Flex Z's or even Flex A may indeed be the 'best for cost'.

I'd spend the money on better dampers to be honest rather than worry about the Edfc system. Better dampers with better valving, etc will be more beneficial in the long run. 

Deacon: i'm not that convinced. Imho potentially dynamically adjustable suspension done right potential can be very high. No wonder that in many racing classes it's non-legal due unfair advantage. I'd still choose $9K penskes over cheap teins+edfc .. but i'd need much more input data when comparing set with EDFC to mid budget dampers like KW V3/Ohlins or Tein's own SRC, to really decide, which will net better bang for buck.

6 minutes ago, Church said:

Deacon: i'm not that convinced. Imho potentially dynamically adjustable suspension done right potential can be very high. No wonder that in many racing classes it's non-legal due unfair advantage. I'd still choose $9K penskes over cheap teins+edfc .. but i'd need much more input data when comparing set with EDFC to mid budget dampers like KW V3/Ohlins or Tein's own SRC, to really decide, which will net better bang for buck.

Better valving and higher quality internals will always be better valving and higher quality internals whether they're attached to edfc or not 🤷‍♂️

But also there is jack of all trades, master of none. There is optimal valving for different pavement and even different maneuver types, like braking, accelerating, cornering .. and dynamic adjusting allows to get that optimum for each, instead of compromising some middle ground, even if high quality one. As to which nets most .. hence why i mentioned that more input data / experience needed, to evaluate which solution will net more per buck, cheaper shocks with dynamic adjustability, or middle budget shocks of fixed damping, to make educated choice. I have no own experience with both (still driving on stock, only now considering replacing them with bilstein B6), but it would be interesting to find out more nfo for, who knows, maybe potential future choice/purchase.

But also there is jack of all trades, master of none. There is optimal valving for different pavement and even different maneuver types, like braking, accelerating, cornering .. and dynamic adjusting allows to get that optimum for each, instead of compromising some middle ground, even if high quality one. As to which nets most .. hence why i mentioned that more input data / experience needed, to evaluate which solution will net more per buck, cheaper shocks with dynamic adjustability, or middle budget shocks of fixed damping, to make educated choice. I have no own experience with both (still driving on stock, only now considering replacing them with bilstein B6), but it would be interesting to find out more nfo for, who knows, maybe potential future choice/purchase.
I wonder if anyone does have experience with both, or perhaps it might be a good idea to find this out at a meet. Would be fantastic to find someone with Tien + EDFC to compare with another who has KW V3 or similar.

But obviously, the high end coilovers would be a better choice hands down. But personally the cost of them doesn't justify the improvement for me at the moment. Would rather go with turbo + performance tyres + brakes at that range.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Also at KW V3 budget .. i'd probably lean to Ohlins R&T, with 5K/5K spring set.

As for biggest possible improvement .. no mod of car will net more then actual seat time at track. Better spend 2-3K on trackdays and fuel/tires/brake pads for those. Even better if with good HPDE instructor, to steepen learning curve. Even more so that process of rising skills & speed on track is fun way to spend free time on it's own, worth paying for :). Also some of aftermarket mods have also cons of compromising daily drivability/comfort.

6 hours ago, Swinginking said:

I wonder if anyone does have experience with both, or perhaps it might be a good idea to find this out at a meet. Would be fantastic to find someone with Tien + EDFC to compare with another who has KW V3 or similar.

But obviously, the high end coilovers would be a better choice hands down. But personally the cost of them doesn't justify the improvement for me at the moment. Would rather go with turbo + performance tyres + brakes at that range.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I have a custom TEIN setup with my own spring rates and valving on my dampers as well as EDFC Active Pro. 

The thing is here, is that Ohlins and all that will be far better, but you need to factor in the cost of rebuilding them every 20K miles at £600 a go or so. You can pretty much fit and forget the TEINS. Ultimately I'm sure the Ohlins will outperform the TEINS as they are over twice the price. But ask yourself how good a driver you are, I reckon most who go for super expensive setups won't know how to get the best out of it which will be on track only. Also think how you are going to use it and whilst nice expensive damping should give a better ride, that will ultimately be the real benefit over anything else which is worth having if you can afford them along with their servicing costs. If it's just a weekend car, I suppose the mileage thing matters a lot less. 

28 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I have a custom TEIN setup with my own spring rates and valving on my dampers as well as EDFC Active Pro. 

The thing is here, is that Ohlins and all that will be far better, but you need to factor in the cost of rebuilding them every 20K miles at £600 a go or so. You can pretty much fit and forget the TEINS. Ultimately I'm sure the Ohlins will outperform the TEINS as they are over twice the price. But ask yourself how good a driver you are, I reckon most who go for super expensive setups won't know how to get the best out of it which will be on track only. Also think how you are going to use it and whilst nice expensive damping should give a better ride, that will ultimately be the real benefit over anything else which is worth having if you can afford them along with their servicing costs. If it's just a weekend car, I suppose the mileage thing matters a lot less. 

Interesting, did not know about the requirement of servicing at such intervals for the kit - and of course, I wouldnt consider myself an expert at driving.

I reckon its best for me to go for the Flex A/Z and spend the rest on some time with a good HPDE instructor.

Thanks for the input guys! :)

47 minutes ago, Swinginking said:

Interesting, did not know about the requirement of servicing at such intervals for the kit - and of course, I wouldnt consider myself an expert at driving.

I reckon its best for me to go for the Flex A/Z and spend the rest on some time with a good HPDE instructor.

Thanks for the input guys! :)

All dampers should be serviced for optimum performance including Teins. Whether you do it or not is obviously up to you and the degradation in performance is probably less noticeable on a cheaper damper than a higher end one. 

15 hours ago, Deacon said:

All dampers should be serviced for optimum performance including Teins. Whether you do it or not is obviously up to you and the degradation in performance is probably less noticeable on a cheaper damper than a higher end one. 

True to a point, but a 20K service interval is a lot sooner than you'd need to do it on the TEINS. I had my TEINS serviced after 50K miles and the damping performance was spot on. So the reality is you could leave it a lot longer, hence my fit and forget comment. If the OP is going for Flex Z they are non-servicable anyway, so he'd just replace the whole unit but they'd basically last as long as OEM really. 

It's also very possible, that wear of shocks is similar between teins and ohlins, but simply later, being premium manufacturer, has smaller margins what supposed to be "acceptable wear", and thus advises it's customers of premium products for more frequent rehauling to keep those premium shocks top-notch.

Even 20K interval .. actual wear is not so much mileage related imho, as state of roads car is daily driven on. For example even with "long lasting" OE shocks - some may deem their wear/performance as due to change even as soon after 10K miles, while some others say that shocks lasted them well for 150-200K miles.

Imho unless overhaul interval is as short as 5-10K miles or even just 1K km as for their sports/rally dampers, i wouldn't be bothered much about this particular 20K number, and wouldn't strike out from choices ohlins just because of that.

Tein recommend rebuilding their dampers every 3 years or 36k miles, less if they have been used on track. There isn't some magic used that means they go miles longer between overhaul.

Whatever you go for ohlins, Teins, KW Moton etc they will all recommend having an overhaul at some stage.