Benjie_2

Unsure What To Do?

Well after going into my main Toyota dealers, I was very pleasantly surprised by a quote given, my GT86 currently has 38000k on the clock, just at the backend of 2018 it had a dealer service, even back then they tried convincing me my vehicle was due for a full "major" service which included a spark plug change.  

But reading 6 Year Service and 60000 Mile Service tells me I do not have to change spark plugs until my vehicle has done 60k am I correct? my main dealers are wanting to change me £1,018.21 inclusive of VAT wait for it " This includes a total discount of £331.14 off our normal prices as a thank you for your custom" 😂 The Plan Period: 36 months/ start date 08/03/2019 first service sep 2019/final service sep 2021..... Payment Details: service price £1.349.35/service discount -£277.55 plan discount -£53.59 total discount 24.54% Plan Price: £1,018.21, "inc Admin fee of 29 x £1.20, Payment Schedule: First Payment Date: 01/04/2019 Last Payment Date: 01/08/2021 Number of payments 29, 5 x £108.47 23 x £19.83 1 x £19.77..... NOW, GUYS, do I need an accountant :lol: and as most have posted in the topics outlined above, my vehicle does not need its plugs replacing as yet? 

Any advice? thank you...

8 minutes ago, Benjie_2 said:

Well after going into my main Toyota dealers, I was very pleasantly surprised by a quote given, my GT86 currently has 38000k on the clock, just at the backend of 2018 it had a dealer service, even back then they tried convincing me my vehicle was due for a full "major" service which included a spark plug change.  

But reading 6 Year Service and 60000 Mile Service tells me I do not have to change spark plugs until my vehicle has done 60k am I correct? my main dealers are wanting to change me £1,018.21 inclusive of VAT wait for it " This includes a total discount of £331.14 off our normal prices as a thank you for your custom" 😂 The Plan Period: 36 months/ start date 08/03/2019 first service sep 2019/final service sep 2021..... Payment Details: service price £1.349.35/service discount -£277.55 plan discount -£53.59 total discount 24.54% Plan Price: £1,018.21, "inc Admin fee of 29 x £1.20, Payment Schedule: First Payment Date: 01/04/2019 Last Payment Date: 01/08/2021 Number of payments 29, 5 x £108.47 23 x £19.83 1 x £19.77..... NOW, GUYS, do I need an accountant :lol: and as most have posted in the topics outlined above, my vehicle does not need its plugs replacing as yet? 

Any advice? thank you...

My advice? Get some spark plugs from us, and get them done yourself. Fiddly but easy job, took me 4 hours to do all 4, but saves you hundreds of pounds 😁

Thanks Lucas but my points made still stands " do I really need my plugs done"? the car has not done 60k plus some comments I read. 

Lauren: Posted September 4, 2018
There is no point getting the plugs changed if you haven't done the mileage. For those of us that drive our cars, mine is 5.5 years old and is having it's 120K service tomorrow which will of course mean my plugs get changed for the second time round!

12 minutes ago, Benjie_2 said:

Thanks Lucas but my points made still stands " do I really need my plugs done"? the car has not done 60k plus some comments I read. 

Lauren: Posted September 4, 2018
There is no point getting the plugs changed if you haven't done the mileage. For those of us that drive our cars, mine is 5.5 years old and is having it's 120K service tomorrow which will of course mean my plugs get changed for the second time round!

I wouldn't say you do. I changed mine at 65k after noticing a few rough starts.

8 minutes ago, maurice said:

No, I just changed the broken one in my lunch hour yesterday to find out if it had written off my engine. Suffice to say, I will be replacing the others ASAP.

Be interesting to see what they're like. I'd do all 4 if I was you, but purely so they're all the same age rather than expecting any of the other 3 to fail as well. There's plenty of spark plugs that have come out after 60k looking perfectly fine.

6 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

I wouldn't say you do. I changed mine at 65k after noticing a few rough starts.

Ok sounds like a plan then!! wait until 60k, unfortunately, the Toyota representative who gave me that quote! is still waiting on my phone call or my appearance to go ahead with there 36 months planned billing, am I cutting off my nose to spite my face kinda thing here? (or) do I phone them and say thanks but I will wait a bit longer...:)

1 hour ago, Benjie_2 said:

Ok sounds like a plan then!! wait until 60k, unfortunately, the Toyota representative who gave me that quote! is still waiting on my phone call or my appearance to go ahead with there 36 months planned billing, am I cutting off my nose to spite my face kinda thing here? (or) do I phone them and say thanks but I will wait a bit longer...:)

They're just trying to ring you of cash while your car was in with them. Just tell them to do one and get the plugs done at 60k.

Even then the quote of 1k (or 1.3k without their "discount") is ludicrous. I'd expect the spark plugs to be crafted by the hands of Zeus himself and sprinkled with gold dust for that 🤣

I think this is more the price for a service plan rather than just the one service. Correct me if i am wrong but it does state monthly instalments which leads me to believe it is a plan. 

11 minutes ago, vanko25 said:

I think this is more the price for a service plan rather than just the one service. Correct me if i am wrong but it does state monthly instalments which leads me to believe it is a plan. 

It says first service 3/19, final service 9/21 so I would think you are right, sounds like a 3 year service plan they are selling.

At 38K , your next service is a full service. I have to give ballpark figures. £300 for full service which will be your next one. 50K miles is an intermediate so say £200. Then your third is potentially going to be around the 60K mile mark around £600 which includes the spark plugs. That makes a total of £1100. This is based on average mileage of 10-12K a year. 

If you were only at say 50K miles in three years then your total would be around £700. So why not just pay for each service as you go? 

2 hours ago, Gray said:

It says first service 3/19, final service 9/21 so I would think you are right, sounds like a 3 year service plan they are selling.

Yes, I agree with you Gray!! it's a 3 years schedule plan broken down, they tell me also it includes 3 MOT(s), and we all know main dealers, by the way, sir "while checking" we found your rear tyre tread depth is (blah blah) and does not meet the 20p Test and the list goes on.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

At 38K , your next service is a full service. I have to give ballpark figures. £300 for full service which will be your next one. 50K miles is an intermediate so say £200. Then your third is potentially going to be around the 60K mile mark around £600 which includes the spark plugs. That makes a total of £1100. This is based on average mileage of 10-12K a year. 

If you were only at say 50K miles in three years then your total would be around £700. So why not just pay for each service as you go? 

As mentioned Lauren in my opening post, my GT86 had a service done around October 2018 just over 37k, so the current mileage is now 38k, so they say 60k/6 years service, on a 62 plate, so really my next should be the *intermediate*, funny the "Service Schedule Plan" states it's a standard service with optional choices (spark plug change) £50 | break fluid change £45 and the list goes on..:blink:

9 hours ago, vanko25 said:

Haha that does take the edge off a bit I suppose, but that's still almost £400 a service. Service plans always rub me the wrong way personally as you're basically paying at most £50 in parts at their bulk trade price, 200-300 on labour and like £50 for a stamp in your book.

38 minutes ago, Samwise said:

Haha that does take the edge off a bit I suppose, but that's still almost £400 a service. Service plans always rub me the wrong way personally as you're basically paying at most £50 in parts at their bulk trade price, 200-300 on labour and like £50 for a stamp in your book.

Don't forget where they wash your car whether you want them to or not, and you find innumerable paint swirls the next time it's sunny

13 hours ago, Kaltorak said:

If your a 62 plate don't bother with the plugs. Get them to do them when you get the recall done. Then you only pay for the plugs, not the huge time cost. 

Don't follow Kaltorak (recall)?? this would be very nice...

On 3/21/2019 at 9:42 PM, Gray said:

Valve spring recall for pre 2014 cars. Check your VIN on https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Many thanks, Gary & yes my vehicle has a recall from the 23rd March, so contacted Toyota, who reassures me I am not in any danger, and I can still drive around safely!! furthermore, they tell me they have not received a confirmation as yet what this defect is...    

29 minutes ago, Benjie_2 said:

Many thanks, Gary & yes my vehicle has a recall from the 23rd March, so contacted Toyota, who reassures me I am not in any danger, and I can still drive around safely!! furthermore, they tell me they have not received a confirmation as yet what this defect is...    

Well they should have, the whole world knows: 

Went into my local dealer! who told me I had to wait for a confirmation letter from DVLA regarding the recall, not 100% sure if they are telling me porkies or they are actually telling me the truth.