k2r79

Tuning Developments - Super Res Catback

Hi,

I've been in contact with Tuning Developments for the last few days to find out which exhaust system would suit me.

I'm planning on attending to some track days with my GT86 and my local track only allows cars under 95dB at 4000rpm. I also want to get rid of the torque dip.

Knowing my two main requirements TD answered me very quickly telling me their Super Res Cat Back with an Overpipe and their EL Header would be perfect for me.

I'm lacking some feedback on the Super Res Cat Back, does someone have one ?

Does someone have a flyby and interior video with this catback ?

I've searched everywhere and I can't find what I'm looking for 😖

Thanks 😁

Keep the standard cat back to be safe, see how you get one with just that. Won't be much louder than stock though.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

If that's a static test, you'll be fine. I was 95db with non-res milltek and the EL manifold. Switched to the super res catback and it's quieter - idles similar to completely stock when warm but when you give it some beans there's still plenty of noise.

I've got that setup, don't have a db reading for you but id be shocked if it was over any track limits, it sounds great but it's not at all loud.

1 minute ago, Adam9 said:

I've got that setup, don't have a db reading for you but id be shocked if it was over any track limits, it sounds great but it's not at all loud.

I'm afraid it might not be loud enough, on the video it sounds just a tiny bit louder than the stock.

It's louder than stock, I previously had the resonated version which was surprisingly loud and decided to swap over when I had the turbo installed. Without a turbo yours wont sound identical to mine but id imagine the volume will be similar - My turbo will drop the volume a little but I also have no cats without which things are a bit louder.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

With their manifold it is most definitely louder than stock... 

With the manifold, the stock exhaust is louder than stock but yeah things will definitely be louder. Also worth noting if you decide you don't like it you can buy a mid pipe with a smaller resonator to up the volume, I did the same in reverse.

19 minutes ago, Adam9 said:

It's louder than stock, I previously had the resonated version which was surprisingly loud and decided to swap over when I had the turbo installed. Without a turbo yours wont sound identical to mine but id imagine the volume will be similar - My turbo will drop the volume a little but I also have no cats without which things are a bit louder.

I heard turbos cut down the volume a bit 😊

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

With their manifold it is most definitely louder than stock... 

That's what I'm looking for 😈

14 minutes ago, Adam9 said:

With the manifold, the stock exhaust is louder than stock but yeah things will definitely be louder. Also worth noting if you decide you don't like it you can buy a mid pipe with a smaller resonator to up the volume, I did the same in reverse.

Great to know that !

You'll be fine with the super res. Interestingly I have the EL manifold no cats and resonated cat back. I added a resonator where my straight through decat pipe was (replaces the second cat). The resonator has two silencers in it. Cannot believe how quiet it is, can't be much more than stock, so that's another way to do it. But even without the extra silencers I've just had added I would easily be under 95Db at 4000rpm. More like 90Db and it was pretty loud I thought before! 

Still, resonators are mostly to remove some specific unpleasant frequencies/change tone, not so much for overall quietening of exhaust, for which i believe muffler (and to some extent cats (and turbo, if installed)) is most responsible part.

I have TD's super resonated (their YouTube video is my grey GT86).

80.8db at 4.5k revs (yesterday at Bedford), although from previous track days it was a bit louder. Its also decat manifold and TD turbo.

Love it! Its sufficiently quiet to go on any track (including Thruxton) but has a lower and more pleasant tone. Also you can easily hear turbo woosh when you floor it properly

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, VAD17 said:

I have TD's super resonated (their YouTube video is my grey GT86).

80.8db at 4.5k revs (yesterday at Bedford), although from previous track days it was a bit louder. Its also decat manifold and TD turbo.

Love it! Its sufficiently quiet to go on any track (including Thruxton) but has a lower and more pleasant tone. Also you can easily hear turbo woosh when you floor it properly emoji3.png

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm afraid it might be just to close to the stock exhaust 🙄

Does anyone have a video of that exhaust other than the official one ?

I have it and it’s definetly louder than stock. Got the EL manifold and super res cat back. I had the res one before and found it a bit to loud for daily duties. Will try and get a video the weekend. You can always change the centre pipes on the TD system so if you went super res and found it a bit quiet you could always change the centre pipe (I just happen to have a normal res one for sale) then sell on your other

5 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

I have it and it’s definetly louder than stock. Got the EL manifold and super res cat back. I had the res one before and found it a bit to loud for daily duties. Will try and get a video the weekend. You can always change the centre pipes on the TD system so if you went super res and found it a bit quiet you could always change the centre pipe (I just happen to have a normal res one for sale) then sell on your other

I'd love a video of it !

The center pipe part is really interesting 😊

2 minutes ago, k2r79 said:

I'd love a video of it !

The center pipe part is really interesting 😊

Actually got the wife with me later il ask her to video it on the way home. Do you use yours as a daily? If so I would recommend the super res personally as I found the res had a real loud spot around 3-3500rpm, it was great when just driving for fun but I found it uncomfortable on long journeys and when just pottering around

I'd love a video of it !
The center pipe part is really interesting
The centre pipes will be changeable so worst case you get a different one from mike

42 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

Actually got the wife with me later il ask her to video it on the way home. Do you use yours as a daily? If so I would recommend the super res personally as I found the res had a real loud spot around 3-3500rpm, it was great when just driving for fun but I found it uncomfortable on long journeys and when just pottering around

That would be great 😊

I commute on a bike so the GT86 is my week end and track day car, that's why I'm wondering if the Resonated Catback could suit me.

16 hours ago, Adam9 said:

This is interesting. So was your config New Manifold, new mid pipe, stock exhaust to increase the volume? Does that increase just some frequencies or all, is it quiet on motorway and does it retain stock second cat? 

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

This is interesting. So was your config New Manifold, new mid pipe, stock exhaust to increase the volume? Does that increase just some frequencies or all, is it quiet on motorway and does it retain stock second cat? 

My journey was:

TD UEL Manifold only (stock mid pipe and back box)- louder but still extremely quiet compared to any aftermarket exhaust I've heard, you would barely notice it was there unless you were on it.

TD UEL + Resonated mid pipe (comes with the exhaust)+ TD back box  - Surprisingly loud it's the type of exhaust that draws attention even when you are driving sensibly I was genuinely surprised how loud it was. A little bit droney at motorway speeds.

TD Turbo + UEL + decat front pipe( no resonator )+ Super resonated mid pipe + TD back box - This was perfect for me - car sounds a lot throatier than stock at idle/sensible driving and definitely louder but not really attention grabbing for non car people. Think something like a V8 F type or GTR (although sadly not quite the same soundtrack...) When you are on it its much louder than stock but still follows the theme of sounding like a loud OEM system rather than being attention seeking. No drone at all on motorways.

Still have the resonated pipe- might throw it back on for car shows when I actually am attention seeking😄

24 minutes ago, Adam9 said:

My journey was:

TD UEL Manifold only (stock mid pipe and back box)- louder but still extremely quiet compared to any aftermarket exhaust I've heard, you would barely notice it was there unless you were on it.

TD UEL + Resonated mid pipe (comes with the exhaust)+ TD back box  - Surprisingly loud it's the type of exhaust that draws attention even when you are driving sensibly I was genuinely surprised how loud it was. A little bit droney at motorway speeds.

TD Turbo + UEL + decat front pipe( no resonator )+ Super resonated mid pipe + TD back box - This was perfect for me - car sounds a lot throatier than stock at idle/sensible driving and definitely louder but not really attention grabbing for non car people. Think something like a V8 F type or GTR (although sadly not quite the same soundtrack...) When you are on it its much louder than stock but still follows the theme of sounding like a loud OEM system rather than being attention seeking. No drone at all on motorways.

Still have the resonated pipe- might throw it back on for car shows when I actually am attention seeking😄

Great description, I like the details, thanks 👌

31 minutes ago, Adam9 said:

My journey was:

Thank you. I just have the first bit, i.e. manifold and it is not loud enough. So was wondering if just changing the mid pipe paired with stock exhaust/backbox will give the effect of it being a bit more at a lower cost :)

You can't change the standard midpipe with the TD midpipe it will not fit. Changing the midpipe will have little effect keeping the standard backbox, and I am unaware of anyone who actually sells an off the shelf aftermarket one, so will be a custom job. You will need a full cat back system, midpipe and back box.