Sign in to follow this  
NXB

Sat nav slow to update position

I have just bought a sat nav unit from Ebay for my GT86. I had to buy a new GPS antenna.

When using sat nav the position finds itself but then seems to hang for about 30 seconds and then finds it position again... and so on.

Anyone got any ideas??

What do you mean by "sat nav unit"?  An aftermarket headunit or an oem headunit etc?

What antenna did you buy and where did you install it?

where did you place the sat nav antenna i recently purchased a sat nav from a member and downloaded the fitting instructions from here 

086A_GT86_Touch_and_Go_RHD.indd
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/dfccbd8c-1feb-47c1-9f0c-4deec1f30c31/GT86_RHD_Touch_and_Go_PZ490_00331_00_AIM_002_551_1.pdf

the antenna needs to be placed in the instrument binnacle 

Thanks guys.

I bought a second hand Toyita unit to add to my standard Toyota radio. I bought the antenna off Ebay and tried it in various locations... including outside on the roof.

The sat nav coordinates are correct when comparing to those on my phone but the position on the map is not correct. 

Does anyone else use a non-Toyota gps antenna with any success??

I bought a genuine Toyota GPS antenna from a dealer and the problem is still there.

Does anyone know if I can reload the original maps?

It sounds more like it needs to recalibrate the map position. I wonder if it needs to be powered up with the GPS unit in working order for it to self-calibrate? Has the head unit been unpowered when you connected the GPS antenna?

My first instinct is off and on again. Doing a map update might trigger a similar effect.