Al86

El vs UEL drone question

Hey everyone,
Apologies if this might be a bit of a silly question, but its an expensive investment and I need a bit of reassurance.
So I'm planning on getting booked in at TD hopefully in a month or two for their NA tune, along with the super resonated catback.

My question is will the UEL manifold drone more than the EL manifold (if there is any drone)? My guess was yes due to the uneven exhaust pulses but I was hoping someone could confirm.

Cheers,
Al

The ‘sound generator’ will probably make drone-like cabin noise with anything aftermarket. Make sure you disconnect it (or plug it at the very least!). 🙂

I have the el but still have the stock sound generator. Can't say I noticed much difference on track between mine and uel on track, doubt the drone would be much different if it isn't there on wide open throttle. 

3 hours ago, TommyC said:

The ‘sound generator’ will probably make drone-like cabin noise with anything aftermarket. Make sure you disconnect it (or plug it at the very least!). 🙂

Why would it change the noise from the sound generator?

So I’ll be a bit more specific. With my TD EL manifold and Resonated system there was a (personally) unpleasant drone when placing high load on the engine at the lower end of the rpm range in high-ish gears.

i.e. 4th 5th 6th at around 2500-4000rpm with 1/2throttle or more (maybe accelerating to overtake on dual carriageway or motorway without downshifting).

The noise felt similar to, but far less extreme than, the kind of air ‘thumping’ you get when one window is open at speed.

However, since plugging the sound tube with the glove box 12v accessory socket blank, things are much more pleasant!

As with all these things it’s a matter of opinion and personal taste. I love the sound from the exhaust, but combined with the intake sound being ‘pumped’ into the cabin it was too much for me.

There is some bit of perception there as the sound tube is from the intake section and a manifold or exhaust are at the other section so in no way linked. These sounds are independent.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Except during valve overlap when the exhaust pulses will interact with the intake pulses... 🤔 (second in from the right explains what I’m on about).

However, it’s the two sounds layered together that I found unpleasant (regardless of whether they interact with or effect each other directly).

Honestly wasn’t expecting much of a difference as I thought the drone was all exhaust noise (and probably is). However plugging the intake sound tube has made a difference in the car and the noise experienced has less ‘edge’ now...

D71A614D-F08B-4708-954C-8350A96E0768.jpeg

I think its a good point that changing the manifold may have an effect on inake sound. Interesting, even though my car from new had the sound generator plugged off! 

I went with the TD intake pipe (deleting the sound pipe) at the same time as going with the Super Resonator. The two eliminated drone and give the car a nice sound.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, matrixprotein said:

Alittle off topic here but - I've seen lots of recommendation to go EL when going supercharger. Any particular reason why this is? Anything wrong with going UEL?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Go with what you want it will make very little difference. Just remember a supercharger will make your exhaust louder. Consider those extra resonators that I got put on if you are losing the second cat as well. 

Go with what you want it will make very little difference. Just remember a supercharger will make your exhaust louder. Consider those extra resonators that I got put on if you are losing the second cat as well. 
Thinking of keeping 2nd cat, and losing primary cat

On 3/17/2019 at 11:40 AM, matrixprotein said:

Alittle off topic here but - I've seen lots of recommendation to go EL when going supercharger. Any particular reason why this is? Anything wrong with going UEL?

I think for the HP on our cars it doesn't make much difference but with higher power you generally get better exhaust scavenging, smoother running, less back pressure etc. 

I would say that depending on the SC you would want to have a manifold that compliments the power delivery, whether that be EL/UEL
I was thinking of going UEL on the TD na package then upgrade after to the harrop. I don't drive enough at the highest revs to justify El and definitely not using it on track

5 minutes ago, matrixprotein said:

I was thinking of going UEL on the TD na package then upgrade after to the harrop. I don't drive enough at the highest revs to justify El and definitely not using it on track

You can have El giving as much (and even sometimes more) low down than Uel

10 minutes ago, matrixprotein said:

Then go for one that gives you top end power. A 4-1 rather than a 4-2-1. A PD blower gives you plenty of midrange so a manifold that bumps up around the torque dip and sacrifices a little at top end just won't benefit you.