Dennis Wilson

Where Did You Buy?

Hello, 

Wondering where most people got their second hand 86 or BRZ from? Currently on the look out and there doesn't seem to be many private sellers ( I'm UK Derbyshire based) within a 50-60 mile radius. There is quite a few being sold at dealerships like Arnold Clarke etc... which I'm not against buying from, just thought I'd see what you guys did. 

Toyota's website say they do offer a year on approved used sales. At the minimum you'll have your statutory rights on fitness for purpose, any residual warranty on the vehicle itself up to 5 years, and they'll probably try to sell you a warranty extension.

I think its only the cars that are marked "Toyota Plus Approved" that come with a 12 month warranty.  I think all GT86s had a 5 year warranty from new, but I'm not so sure about the earlier BRZs.  Make sure there's a full service history with the car. 

Back when I was looking for a used 86, Evans Halshaw and some smaller dealers would have them with missing history - which would void the 5 year warranty.  They were cheaper tho.  But in the 14 months I've had mine, I've had about 5 warranty issues sorted by RRG Toyota Macclesfield, and I think the previous owner had a couple issues sorted too!

There were very few private sellers, I think due to the value of the cars most people probably prefer to trade them in.  The sale sections on the forums, pistonheads, ebay etc are your best bet for private sales.

I bought mine from Toyota in Edinburgh, it was slightly modded, which I reckon is why they hadn't been able to sell it for 3 months until I came along lol

Good luck!

If buying from Toyota, they also offer a two year extended warranty on used which I got. You might be able to haggle a warranty into the sale price if you're lucky! 😀

Normally on a GT86 if it's outside the 5 year warranty, they you give you 12 months at the Toyota dealership. If it's still within the 5 year warranty they won't extend it for you unless there's less than 12 months remaining at which they will give you 12 months.

At least this is my experience

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Toyota dealership over in Yeovil. Which was just over 100 miles away for me.
If I was less picky on mileage I could have got one closer, but I'm near London.
London - you don't see many 86/brz round here. I've seen one fella with a facelifted version who I think is local and one other with a 12 reg but that was only once thigh I hear he's local too. But these cars are rarely seen round here.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, GT86-Ian said:

One on Facebook for £8500 with full service history, does have a few cosmetic issues. 

People are saying it's too cheap but book price for mine is under £9000

I got mine from a BMW dealership - they'd got it in as a trade in and had priced it too cheaply. They put it on Autotrader at 10pm and I called them they minute they opened the next day. I didn't even haggle, it really was too cheap and I didn't want to miss out. The dealer reckoned he'd never had so many calls about one car. 18 months on and it still looks a bargain against other BRZs.

Got mine from Steven Eagell Aylesbury. Think it was on 21k miles. They replaced the front bumper for me as the previous owner dished it on the kerbs... 

I bought mine from an independent in Lancaster. On the opposite side of the country...

Silver, 16k miles, 2 owners service history and lots of random receipts, all manuals, paid £7000 cash plus my 2011 Peugeot RCZ.