Lmc

Turbo kit

Looking to add a turbo kit to the car once the valve recall has been completed so just in the process of research.
With that in mind does anyone have any experience/ opinions of the speed by design turbo kit?
I’m well aware of the td kit but as I’m in the fortunate position of the car just being a weekend toy i would rather do the fitting myself & then just pay for tuning as opposed to just shelling over a lump of money & having zero involvement.
I’m fairly sure that I’ve read that td aren’t interested in doing a supply only kit anyway so that kind of rules them out (which is a shame)

I’m judging by the lack of response that no ones using the speed by design kit.

Are everyone that goes turbo just sending there cars to TD?

The hks kit looks like a good kit but more expensive than just sending the car to TD.

Think you will find TD so popular is because they have fitted so many FI kits now, they know what they are doing and have proven results. Speak to Mike at TD and he will answer any questions you have.

5 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Think you will find TD so popular is because.....

They are cheaper than the others. The most turbo kits fitted in the UK are probably AVO, but then TD came along at a better price point. However I prefer the turbo location of the AVO.

18 minutes ago, maurice said:

The Avo uses the OEM airbox unlike the other turbo kits, so draws in air from outside the engine bay, which is preferable.

Turbo's will increase the incoming air charge far beyond the external ambient air-temperature and the kits will probably then be sending the loaded charge into the engine via a correctly sized and flowing intercooler. I doubt that the location of the air-filter makes any difference to the charge temperature at the point of entry into the engine itself.

1 hour ago, GravelRash said:

I doubt that the location of the air-filter makes any difference to the charge temperature at the point of entry into the engine itself.

Where do you suppose the energy comes from that makes the post-turbo air charge hot? It's proportionate to the temperature of the air coming into the turbo. Aside from a bit of soak from the impeller itself, it's mainly the compression that increases the temperature - see ideal gas law. The higher the starting temperature the more energy in the resulting compressed air,  and the more effort it takes to compress. The intercooler can take 10 degrees or more out of the intake charge, but I don't believe the cooling efficiency increases with temperature as much as the heat of compression does.

That's before you take into account the practical effects of a car that heatsoaks at idle and has to drain the engine bay of hot air, instead of just the intake volume. I've lost count of how many times I've seen people complaining about wobbly idles and erratic fuelling from replacing their intakes and filter boxes. Good air supply matters! At least to a point. NA ram-scoops have a tiny effect, and most cold air induction kits trade weather resilience for marginal improvements over OEM offerings.

My 200sx used to suffer badly from heat soak during the summer. It is important as Nerdstrike says. 

Both the TD and Avo kit have their strengths and weaknesses it's down the personal preference but in short they are the most popular kits for UK cars.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:22 PM, Varelco said:

My 200sx used to suffer badly from heat soak during the summer. It is important as Nerdstrike says. 

Both the TD and Avo kit have their strengths and weaknesses it's down the personal preference but in short they are the most popular kits for UK cars.

Rare beast now days ;)