mrninja13

Steering Wheel Locks

Hello,

at the moment I'm using a Stoplock Pro steering wheel lock, but it's quite a tight fit and quite often I end up honking the horn when putting it on, which is super annoying.

I am looking at the Elite version, which is a bit bendier, so it should clear the horn better, but I'm not sure it'll fit (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stoplock-HG-150-00-Steering-Wheel/dp/B06XP21DK6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1549973107&sr=1-1&keywords=stoplock+pro+elite).

I'm also considering the Milenco one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B8JKJTW?pf_rd_p=71cb17e9-f468-4d3f-94d5-a0de44c50a7e&pf_rd_r=Y8186F9PK83M51PSHZT6) which clears the horn but I have an auto with paddles, and it seems it might have trouble with that.

Does anyone have any suggestion, or use any of the above and can confirm they work well?

Thanks!

Sure, if they really want it they'll find a way to get it, so might as well leave it unlocked then. 😕

A lock is an added peace of mind and a small hassle that might deter the opportunistic thief looking for a quick and easy score, imho.

But undoubtedly is a bit of a pain in the backside.

Hmm. I prefer to rely on insurance/alarm/security guards (later of course in rare cases when parked in guarded parking). No extra inconveniences that way. In very few cases i've noticed someone using such locks, and never heard that they helped someone. Imho such wheel locks are like wheel locking nuts. If someone is set on stealing then he will, but owner will have to suffer inconvenience all the time.

17 hours ago, Church said:

Hmm. I prefer to rely on insurance/alarm/security guards (later of course in rare cases when parked in guarded parking). No extra inconveniences that way. In very few cases i've noticed someone using such locks, and never heard that they helped someone. Imho such wheel locks are like wheel locking nuts. If someone is set on stealing then he will, but owner will have to suffer inconvenience all the time.

Indeed, the issue is the extra security is pretty minimal, but it's a massive pain the rest of the time.

Indeed, the issue is the extra security is pretty minimal, but it's a massive pain the rest of the time.
Had to have one on my old focus at and what a pita. You either had to get out and put it in the boot everytime or have it rattle on the back seat. Most of the time it will stop an opportunist thief but I think they are few and far between to take the whole car. If they want the whole car they come prepared with battery grinders etc

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Is there any point at all? Given you will not be able to start the car without the key? Okay it may provide a small deterrent, but it's a massive pain to have to grapple with day in day out and putting it on taking it off everywhere you go. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone! 

It's probably the motorcyclist in me, I just don't feel comfortable without a lock!

And to be honest it's not that much of a pain, apart from the accidental horn honking. I just got the version of the lock with the deeper curve and it seems good so far, the tolerance is not as tight as the old one and it's much easier to put on.

What about a disklok?

https://www.festive-lights.com/disklok-car-steering-wheel-lock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzLeblOW44AIV1ZTVCh2SOgswEAQYAiABEgJ1oPD_BwE#217=19

This design looks like less faff. The GT86 steering wheel is small, so seems a pain to fit one that goes through it. This goes round it, the only way I can describe it is like a babybel.

What about a disklok?
https://www.festive-lights.com/disklok-car-steering-wheel-lock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzLeblOW44AIV1ZTVCh2SOgswEAQYAiABEgJ1oPD_BwE#217=19
This design looks like less faff. The GT86 steering wheel is small, so seems a pain to fit one that goes through it. This goes round it, the only way I can describe it is like a babybel.
What I used to use.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Had to have one on my old focus at and what a pita. You either had to get out and put it in the boot everytime or have it rattle on the back seat. Most of the time it will stop an opportunist thief but I think they are few and far between to take the whole car. If they want the whole car they come prepared with battery grinders etc

Pretty much. Opportunists are looking for stuff in your glovebox mostly.

Anyone wanting to nick the car will come tooled up.

Ah ah Maurice that's true.

For now I settled on the curvier lock, as it's much less faff to put on and I can just chuck it in the passenger footwell.

The full steering wheel cover is definitely more secure (and was also recommended by a friend), but even I think that'll be too much of a bother to use and it'll take a lot of space. It also costs twice as much!

12 hours ago, maurice said:

If you're paranoid wouldn't a better option be to change some of the alarm settings? Iirc you can set it so you need a PIN code to start the car. 

This sounds like a cool idea. Has anyone done this or can you recommend any providers?