GT1986

Release bearing

I took my car in for service and mot yesterday. I asked them to advise on a noise coming from the clutch when depressed. They have advised they actually suspect it to be the release bearing, which would be covered under warranty, however they also said if they strip it down and it's not that and does end up being something else I'll get stuck with a £550 Bill. Anyone had issue with their release bearing? Mine is 2016 plate. 

A number of people have complained about noisy release bearings. They can rattle a bit, though a rattle isn't really much to worry about. If they take the gearbox out and find that say the clutch is worn, they are going to put that down to wear and tear, though realistically it's hard to think of what else it could be. 

Before I got my clutch replaced, mine would rattle for a few seconds after putting the clutch down. Read a few reports of people ignoring it and it eventually going and taking the gearbox with it. I left it just over a year and then got the clutch replaced when funds allowed. Didn't get it done under warranty, didn't ask as I figured it's part of the clutch and so a wearable item and not under warranty, and more importantly, I had an aftermarket one fitted.

I'm surprised they said the release bearing as it's not a rattle, it's more of a whoosy squeak on depression. Think I'll just monitor for now as don't particularly want to "possibly" part with £550 for no reason and it's still got a fair bit of warranty left at the minute. 

Yes it's squeaking when depressed, the technicians actually comments on the form were " squeaking noise inside bell housing, suspect release bearing". 

Thanks Mike, might give that a go.