matrixprotein

2nd Gen GT86

I hope that if the new 86 is truly being rebranded “GR86”, its not just simply a name change and actually comes with some significant performance credentials over the Gen1.

As on the Gen1 we’ve already had a GR Sport and GRMN 86 in Japan. The latter of which as we know had some serious upgrades (Lightweight plexiglass, 216bhp, carbon roof, staggered wheels, big brakes etc).

So I hope the “GR86” is not just a straight Toyota badged version of this recently unveiled BRZ (unless Gazoo were involved in the BRZ development also). As I’d want to see actual Gazoo Racing involvement here to justify the GR badge.

I don't have any problem with the facelift interior and the instrument cluster.  The information is where I want it with big tacho and digital speedo.  In fact, the analogue speedo is completely redundant and I never look at it.  The auxiliary gauges like voltage, water and oil temps are good as are the mileage/trip functions.  I supplement what I need to know with a Scangauge.  Form follows function, it's an informative and comfortable place to be.

I don't really need or want it to look like a Prius inside.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:25 AM, McDude said:

Indeed! You wouldn't have a low bonnet line or COG

This appears to have been marketing, likely due to the platform being based on boxer architechture. There have been I4 swaps that both keep the stock bonnet and the COG low..

2 hours ago, MartinT said:

I prefer the new BRZ's shape in silver.

Shame that the BRZ likely won't make it to the EU/UK.

1 hour ago, Leeky said:

So I hope the “GR86” is not just a straight Toyota badged version of this recently unveiled BRZ (unless Gazoo were involved in the BRZ development also). As I’d want to see actual Gazoo Racing involvement here to justify the GR badge.

Well they have form from the GR Supra - seems that the nomenclature is for the more sporty models with the GRMN being for the full on GR tuned models. I am a bit surprised that the Yaris isn't a GRMN, given that it fits that bill nicely. I expect that the 86 will be largely a cosmetic change, but happy to be proved wrong.

Well they have form from the GR Supra - seems that the nomenclature is for the more sporty models with the GRMN being for the full on GR tuned models. I am a bit surprised that the Yaris isn't a GRMN, given that it fits that bill nicely. I expect that the 86 will be largely a cosmetic change, but happy to be proved wrong.

The reason this yaris is not called GRMN is two fold (all my logic):

1. There has been a GRMN Yaris already in recent past and it was supercharged and hugely confusing if they launch another with same name but a totally different approach.

2. Secondly MN stood for Meister of Nurburgring which is where it was developed/ tested. This new car is WRC based , so totally different idea , hence MN doesn't make sense.

PS: I feel bad for those who bought the limited edition GRMN as its not so exclusive anymore.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/yaris-grmn-2017-2018

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Kodename47 said:

This appears to have been marketing, likely due to the platform being based on boxer architechture. There have been I4 swaps that both keep the stock bonnet and the COG low..

Shame that the BRZ likely won't make it to the EU/UK.

I heard that they were moving away from the 'GRMN' name, but I guess we'll see. I too think the GR86 will be more in line with the GR Supra in that it will be a much less hardcore car than the Yaris. This is not surprising of course as one would expect a homologation special to have more of an edge to it. However, it will be interesting to see what GR do with the 86. 

54 minutes ago, Leeky said:

I wonder what that thing is hanging under the car... looks like a baking tray..

I would imagine that and the thing behind the front wheel are sensor of some sort

I'd be surprised if that GR Yaris is a road car, and if it is, it may not be officially sold here.  I believe the EU type approval regs don't allow canards for pedestrian safety reasons - it was the reason we didn't get the Camaro ZL1 1LE, and I think it affected some others like the Viper ACR too.  You can only buy those over here as IVA imports.

17 hours ago, Kodename47 said:

I don't think that's true, the layout of a boxer engine is inherently lower than an inline engine, there's no getting around that even if you mount one on an incline (slant if it's longitudinal I guess!) as for fitting an inline engine in, that's possible but probably not if you respect pedestrian crash regs. Not a concern for aftermarket, but it is for OEMs. You can't have a saucy bonnet line with an engine sitting right underneath, you need a collapsible gap - or an active bonnet.

Anyway, this is all moot and goes back to a frankly silly suggestion that they just chuck in the Yaris I4 as if it were that easy - again for an OEM. Design and Sign off criteria are much higher than one offs, obviously.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, Deacon said:

They've been testing a properly hardcore version of the Yaris round the 'Ring so presumably the GRMN label will be applied to that one if they choose to release it.FB_IMG_1606292666537.jpg.e88765c0352af04faefaa08070d2e2d0.jpg

That car is registered to GR Europe and is far more likely to be a VLN test mule. Those cannards would never make it to a road car.