matrixprotein

2nd Gen GT86

I’m curious as to why Toyota haven’t advertised their version yet? Is this because of the Yaris GR getting the spotlight for now? 

This is a moderate mid cycle change; fundamentally the same car underneath but some significant revisions - very interesting

Increased displacement of fundamentally the same engine, revised sheet metal but over the original platform (roof/door/C-Pillar look the same as before), revised interior. If it keeps BRZ/GT86s on the road for longer then great.

All new is a stretch, but significantly revised.

I quite like the small ducktail bootlid and the 2.4l engine should lend itself to even better power upgrades and boost. It looks good in silver, less good in Subaru blue.

It's no biggie over ours but let's respect the fact that it keeps the concept going where we thought the model might be dead. With the latest government announcement about battery cars we have one more decade to buy this sort of car. Enjoy it while it lasts!

5 hours ago, Luke said:

I’m curious as to why Toyota haven’t advertised their version yet? Is this because of the Yaris GR getting the spotlight for now? 

It will be yes. They are in the mist of launching the second car in the GR Brand, namely the GR Yaris, so would expect that to need to be out of the way first before they talk about the third car in the line up. 

13 hours ago, MartinT said:

It's no biggie over ours but let's respect the fact that it keeps the concept going where we thought the model might be dead. With the latest government announcement about battery cars we have one more decade to buy this sort of car. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Amen to that. I plan to make the most of it all whilst i can!

I quite like the small ducktail bootlid and the 2.4l engine should lend itself to even better power upgrades and boost. It looks good in silver, less good in Subaru blue.

It’s even higher compression at 13.5:1 it will like boost less than our current cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Unforgivable that it doesn't get the Yaris GR engine.

That's a bit of a bigger job though! The 2.4l is fundamentally the same engine, same 'box, same mounts, ancillaries etc. A transverse mounted I4 isn't even close! You're into new platform territory.

3 hours ago, McDude said:

That's a bit of a bigger job though! The 2.4l is fundamentally the same engine, same 'box, same mounts, ancillaries etc. A transverse mounted I4 isn't even close! You're into new platform territory.

Thought the whole point of using the Boxer was that Toyota couldn't get the low design they wanted with their engines .. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So now it comes with Pilot Sport 4 tyres...

Had those fitted on mine this week. Awesome tyres. Thank you to Martin T of for the local tyre fitter recommendation 👍

Right, back to the next gen car, the 2.4l NA engine sounds like the logical choice for making a 'step forward' but not having to reinvent the car.

I’m getting a 2017MY in Jan so far prices seem similar to what they were a few months ago this new car 2022 BRZ is not out until Octorber 2021 so quite way off.

Not sure if anyone mentioned but apparently 2022 BRZ is a “be spoke platform” whatever that means and has wider wheel track at the rear for more stability, not sure how this will impact handling. Seems to have Toyota D4S port injection still which is interesting. Shares a lot of other stuff too with 1st gen/facelift so just refresh as others have mentioned probably, digital display door open icon and track buttons, transmission, steering wheel etc.

Overall great they upped the BHP, no Turbo not surprised. Digital tach is so plain though do not like that, might as well have stayed analogue/physical mix in that area like GR Supra. Side skirts Look good and rear GR Supra duck bill spoiler. Front lower  bit busy for my liking.

Wonder if Tetsuya Tada involved in any of this stuff, and if he will announce the GR86 when revealed.

17 hours ago, MartinT said:

...not to mention transverse would make it front-wheel drive!  Yuk!!

Very good point, could make it AWD like the Yaris I suppose but, no there are too many things that make putting the Yaris engine in a bad idea including this...

15 hours ago, gazza82 said:

Thought the whole point of using the Boxer was that Toyota couldn't get the low design they wanted with their engines .. 

Indeed! You wouldn't have a low bonnet line or COG

I like that they are Naturally Aspirated, no offence to those running boosted, but there is something immensely rewarding about an NA engine. You've got to really wring it to get the best out of it and for me that's a lot of fun.

I'll go back to my previous point (and others have made it); there's nothing earthshattering about the changes here, even though Subaru/Toyota are billing them as ground up changes. A bit of sheet metal here and there and some updated trim; a revision to the engine and the suspension but it's pretty much the same car and that's a good thing. A BRZ/GT86 stands out as an oddity in a sea of highly competent but quite samey hot hatches* and that this can continue for a few more years is great.

*yes the Yaris GR does look epic

2 hours ago, Kaltorak said:

Something something biased something something :D

I dont like the new front end, but I do like that it has working vents!

I hate fake vents with a passion. That and fake exhaust tips really grind my gears. 

With the lack of any details from Toyota I’m hoping the GR86 spends some significant research and development time with the Gazoo Racing department to improve upon what Subaru have done so far with the re worked car.