Sign in to follow this  
Martin1209

TPMS question on a BRZ

Hello, little bit of background, I've got a BRZ which does not have a TPMS sensor in one of the wheels, and so of course the light is on (purchased it like that).

It's coming up to it's first MOT, and as it's the first time I've had a car with TPMS I didn't realise that this was a requirement, so I popped down to Kwik Fit as it was meant to be an easy job to program a new one and relearn. 

They used what looked like some version of an Autel tool, but the guy showed me that for some reason, unlike all the other cars he's had experience with, there isn't an option to just program a new one when you select the car from the list, and nor did the GT86. 

So my question is, is main dealer my only option? Would a Toyota garage be able to do the same(I live down the road from a Toyota service centre, but my nearest Subaru one is an hour away!) Or is it potentially down to version of the tool that Kwik Fit had, and it should actually be possible without main dealer. (Or can it be programmed as something else?!)

Thanks in advance

Hello, little bit of background, I've got a BRZ which does not have a TPMS sensor in one of the wheels, and so of course the light is on (purchased it like that).
It's coming up to it's first MOT, and as it's the first time I've had a car with TPMS I didn't realise that this was a requirement, so I popped down to Kwik Fit as it was meant to be an easy job to program a new one and relearn. 
They used what looked like some version of an Autel tool, but the guy showed me that for some reason, unlike all the other cars he's had experience with, there isn't an option to just program a new one when you select the car from the list, and nor did the GT86. 

So my question is, is main dealer my only option? Would a Toyota garage be able to do the same(I live down the road from a Toyota service centre, but my nearest Subaru one is an hour away!) Or is it potentially down to version of the tool that Kwik Fit had, and it should actually be possible without main dealer. (Or can it be programmed as something else?!)

Thanks in advance

Do you have the sensor id? If so it can be done with the carista app and OBD2 dongle.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately not, what I'm guessing that happened in the past before I owned it was that the car needed a tyre change somewhere and it got taken to a place that didn't quite understand what they were doing and that was the end of the sensor - there has never been a sensor on that wheel so I need a new one and for it to be programmed and relearned by the car. 

I've been driving around with it like that for ages now as I check my tyres anyway so I know it's not an actual problem - I just didn't realise it's an MOT requirement now so that's why I'm only just getting it sorted!