Nemesis

Drivers seat wear

I have my car booked in to have a new seat back fitted because of wear under warranty as its apparently a known issue, does anyone know of a seat cover or bolster protector I can get to prevent it happening again?

20190126_121556.thumb.jpg.706c076933fb913a8d9f9466fb9f933e.jpg

I did a bit of googling & found this but its for a TVR so doubt it would fit & I don't know how good a fit seat covers would be so would prefer something like this protectorCerbera-seat-protector001.jpg.64a778357879af8b22f55d6192f14ffc.jpg

I think you just have to be more careful with how you get in and out of the car. Using leather conditioner also probably helps. Mine is still okay after 123K miles. I never ever drive in a coat though, I would say that and carelessness are the enemy really. 

I have a problem getting out of the car as I have arthritis in my spine so tend to shuffle a bit to get out which I now realise causes the wear, I will have a chat with Toyota next month.  

I had similar wear, but not quite as bad, when I bought mine in Nov17.  The car was less than 3 years old and 17k miles at that point.  Never seen accelerated wear like this on any other car!

I haven't increased the wear since I got it, so I think using leather cleaning and protecting products do help.  But I want to try to get a color match so I can order a leather repair kit from https://www.colourlock.com/

The other thing that bugs me is how the driver side car matt and the "underlay" is getting pretty worn and squished already at 28k miles.  Dunno how to fix that tho 😭

Had a volvo S80 with 150k and the matts looked and felt like new, and the leather seats altho a bit dried out had no wear on them at all! 

2 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Are they even leather? Looks synthetic to me, or at least very very very thin. Seat bolsters and coupe bodies are not a good mix with tight parking.

They are leather. The trouble is driving in coats, not taking care when you get in and out on the relatively heavily bolstered seats causes the problem. I have had no such issues in 124K miles. I always use leather cleaner/conditioner and never drive in a coat as well as taking care not to catch the side bolster when I get in or out. 

@KAS I suspect the seat on the Volvo wasn't as heavily bolstered and so less likely to get rubbed getting in and out. It was probably harder wearing though!

Then again regarding those wear marks for many appearing within first 10K miles i've seen commented about as relatively much sooner vs what wear people were used to see/get in other cars of much higher mileage. My guess too is that low seating pose + higher side bolsters are culprit, while in other cars with high seats and little of side support there is way less sliding over to sit even without extra care/minding about it. Caveats of low sporty coupe. I doubt toyobaru to change seats for that, probably calling it wear & tear item .. so imho simplest, when it's too late to be careful and use leather care products and wear marks are already there, would be to find some seat covers one likes looks of and be done with it. (eg. from these).