RS4 James

Is the GT86 going to be safe for my girlfriend?

I thought the gutless FA20 was to blame

It isn't gutless, the standard implementation makes it so. The FA20 is rather good for a 2.0 NA when you free it up.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, RS4 James said:

Based South Manchester so we spend a lot of weekends driving out to the Peak District, Wales etc.  Booked a test drive at a main dealer at the weekend - yay!

You would be highly recomended to go to RRG Macclesfield, easily the most experienced dealer when it comes to GT86's. They've got a lovely Blue edition demo with the performance pack that is up for grabs. 

8 hours ago, RS4 James said:

Sorry, should have clarified, I'm not buying a car for her, she's selling her Panda because it's on it's last legs, I'm selling my RS4 and this is a car for both of us (plus we now have the T5 van for practical stuff).  It's more than likely that I'll be driving the GT86 most of the time and her the van, it's just that if we went for the GT86 I want her to feel happy in it, and be able to drive it safely, without me having to worry that she's going to end up in the hedgerows as a result of being caught out by an unexpected rear end slide.

Swapping the Premacies for Pilot Sport 4s will not disappoint! 

You can really lean on them (load them up nicely) and they don’t really budge. If you provoke them they will let go, but then the traction control will step in quickly.

Test drives will help towards alleviating your fears enough to take the plunge and make the purchase. But it’ll be some significant miles in behind the wheel that will truly show you 🙂

11 hours ago, RS4 James said:

Thanks Lauren, yes that's were we're heading :)

RRG is no doubt the best dealership, I drive 3 hours to be there when my local dealers is 15 minutes away.

Well we popped out for a drive yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain.  My girlfriend loved it although she is not yet convinced by the practicality side or whether it's just too flashy for her.  She's also concerned that I'd be too precious about the car (keeping it clean, looking after it etc) whereas her current car is used as a mobile storage facility/dustbin.  But if she drives the T5 van as a daily then that might be an option?

I was very impressed with the way the GT86 drove.  Yes it felt incredibly slow after the Audi yet in contrast to the Audi it felt light, adjustable, responsive and simple.  I liked it a lot.  More practical than I remember too with the fold down rear bench and also excellent visibility all round I thought for the type of car.  In short I'd have one, it's a big YES from me, but she'll need to give it a little more consideration.

So we're going to have a think about it and hopefully we can reach a decision and (if it's right for her) have a GT86 on the drive by the summer.  Fall back option wont be a Skoda if I can help it but probably something more practical, common and understated like a Megane RS or Golf R.  Would much rather the GT86 though personally.

It’s surprising how practical it can be! Getting used to loading it up can take a bit of time, but once you’ve sussed things out it can be just as good as a hatchback (for most stuff! 😬 ).

I often have 2 dogs in a crate on the folded down back seat of mine!