Nemesis

Boot spoiler

I've decided my car needs a boot spoiler but after contacting Toyota for a price for a genuine facelift spoiler I was told I would need a new strengthened boot lid which came to a ridiculous price before it was even painted so it looks like I will have to go for a pre facelift style spoiler

I wanted this

1786cf-spoiler-2.jpg.ef37a32d55a59bb87c1deadb41306f25.jpg

But I'm thinking of this one but don't know how good the fitment is

5c4855aa81db4_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.a48a7f330a05d138b3e0214ae5bf183a.jpg

My alternative would be to get a genuine one & get it sprayed to match my car like this going for £92 on ebay including delivery as it will fit properly & I have a mate who can spray it but I would prefer carbon fiber but it has to be a good fit

5c48564f1f383_s-l1600(5).jpg.c1eb569146cac002d0638ced9edbade5.jpg

What do you think the best option I should go for unless anyone has the above spoiler for sale in grey or black might look good on my car

"Strengthened bootlid"? You're having a laugh. I refuse to believe there's a different part. Maybe one has some holes pre-drilled or something?

A large part of the original wing seems to be stuck down with foam tape, probably to prevent rubbing and provide a good air seal to stop it generating lift.

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I've decided my car needs a boot spoiler but after contacting Toyota for a price for a genuine facelift spoiler I was told I would need a new strengthened boot lid which came to a ridiculous price before it was even painted so it looks like I will have to go for a pre facelift style spoiler

I wanted this

1786cf-spoiler-2.jpg.ef37a32d55a59bb87c1deadb41306f25.jpg

But I'm thinking of this one but don't know how good the fitment is

5c4855aa81db4_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.a48a7f330a05d138b3e0214ae5bf183a.jpg

My alternative would be to get a genuine one & get it sprayed to match my car like this going for £92 on ebay including delivery as it will fit properly & I have a mate who can spray it but I would prefer carbon fiber but it has to be a good fit

5c48564f1f383_s-l1600(5).jpg.c1eb569146cac002d0638ced9edbade5.jpg

What do you think the best option I should go for unless anyone has the above spoiler for sale in grey or black might look good on my car

This has something like 9 holes and fixings holding it to boot lid 

23 hours ago, willfmair said:

What colour is your car? I have a red pre-facelift spoiler sitting in my garage - is yours currently spoilerless?

I've found one in Essex after I posted in grey, my car grey & is spoilerless so can choose whatever spoiler I want but I might get the one in Essex & see what it looks like before I get it fitted

19 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

"Strengthened bootlid"? You're having a laugh. I refuse to believe there's a different part. Maybe one has some holes pre-drilled or something?

A large part of the original wing seems to be stuck down with foam tape, probably to prevent rubbing and provide a good air seal to stop it generating lift.

Thats what they told me, I have to go to the dealers to have my drivers seat changed early February so will have a chat with them & take a look at the boot of an 86 they have there

9 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I've found one in Essex after I posted in grey, my car grey & is spoilerless so can choose whatever spoiler I want but I might get the one in Essex & see what it looks like before I get it fitted

Cool - before you spend any money one bare in mind that a lot of people may find a spoilerless boot quite valuable as many people don't like the stock spoilers and a lot of aftermarket ones don't cover the holes that the stock spoilers leave behind.

Have you looked at any aftermarket spoilers?

As Will said

Many people are after spoilerless boots. Probably if you post in the For Sale section or on the FB page that you are looking at doing a swap for the whole boot and save the hassle of painting a spoiler or fitting one. 

BTW Will your car looks very good mate. Saw you last night on the A43/A14 roundabout by Kettering. 

4 hours ago, willfmair said:

Cool - before you spend any money one bare in mind that a lot of people may find a spoilerless boot quite valuable as many people don't like the stock spoilers and a lot of aftermarket ones don't cover the holes that the stock spoilers leave behind.

Have you looked at any aftermarket spoilers?

I've spent ages looking at different ones on aliexpress & id carid but I'm not sure about importing one as wouldn't know about the quality & returns would be a nightmare. I've looked at Fensport they don't have anything I like

2 hours ago, vanko25 said:

As Will said

Many people are after spoilerless boots. Probably if you post in the For Sale section or on the FB page that you are looking at doing a swap for the whole boot and save the hassle of painting a spoiler or fitting one. 

BTW Will your car looks very good mate. Saw you last night on the A43/A14 roundabout by Kettering. 

I will have to look into that

3 hours ago, vanko25 said:

As Will said

Thanks! I must not have seen you - were you in an 86? I always try to wave whenever I see one :D

On that point Nemesis - I have the wing on my car in my profile picture and profile banner on a standard boot with no issues and it's only mounted on the edges - so the reinforced bootlid is absolute b****cks

Phil - it's probably a BS answer... the only potential thing to consider was the issue Toyota had with the early boot struts on the Gen7 that were a bit iffy in lifting properly when you had a spoiler on the bootlid. The released an uprated version IIRC though old Perry190 sorted himself out first as usual!

Then again, you and I had Gen6's with battleship steel bootlids which never had an issue with the standard fitted struts.