Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Smith

Right faff today

As the title suggests, I have had a panic but fun day.

With the club track day coming up on sunday I thought it best to check over my brakes. The Tarox bbk bought of our very own Rob have been great but the pads were getting low so it was time to drop in the spares.

All was great until I tried to remove the pad pins. This first came out with a little fight but the second sheared off in the hole at the threaded end, bugger! I phoned Tarox and the guy on the other end was great. Although he couldn't supply me the pins before the weekend he did tell me exactly what I needed so with that info I hit the internet.

If you haven't been there before, the internet has everything that you ever wanted, well apart from an M6 105mm 12.9 partial thread hex head bolt. The internet does have something in vast quantities and that is phone numbers.

A few calls were made with no joy and I was beginning to think that plan B was going to be put in to action i.e. the original callipers but the next call got me sorted and restored my faith in humanity. 

I spoke to a chap called Ross at TR Fastenings in the  Manchester branch 01825747453, who managed to find me some pins that would do the job and could get them to me for Wednesday. As the conversation was ending and I could sense his immanent signing off I asked "how much?"  "No charge and I shall throw you a couple of extras in" was the reply. Just wanted to give Ross and TR Fastenings a shout out, excellent service.

As for getting the remainder of the pin out of the hole, that took 3 punches two of which are now deceased and 3 hammers of varying sizes. Why don't I just pick up the lump hammer in the first place? would have saved me hours over the years.

Ta muchly, see you Sunday 

25 minutes ago, maurice said:

Doesn't sound like your typical easy pad swap :lol:. Typical to happen before a track day!

No joke, I still don't have it sorted. The free bolts that were promised didn't show up today, hopefully tomorrow. Finding M6 105mm Hight tensile cap heads is a lot harder than I thought but I found a couple of suppliers on ebay that promised Friday or Saturday delivery so hopefully one of the three lots ordered will turn up in time, fingers crossed

7 hours ago, Lauren said:

Blimey what a panic, hope you get it sorted! 

All done and road tested, one set of ebay bolts turned up this morning and I soon had them in and the brakes bled. Rear pads now... stuff it , they should just about last, bringing spares just in case