MartinT

Problem With Heat Wrap

36 minutes ago, MartinT said:

It was hard to do a neat repair with the top hose in place.  I've now ordered a replacement from Subaru and will wrap it neatly, and re-do the exhaust, before I fit it.

Is there a way to physically increase the gap between the manifold and coolant pipe? I would suggest doing that alongside the heatwrap will be the best approach. Did bulldog do only that part or are selling you the whole radiator pipe kit?

Just the top hose, which was still more expensive than buying a complete hose kit on eBay from China!

I'll do my best to twist fit it to open up the gap as much as possible.  It'll still only be a few mm, though.

53 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Just the top hose, which was still more expensive than buying a complete hose kit on eBay from China!

I'll do my best to twist fit it to open up the gap as much as possible.  It'll still only be a few mm, though.

There is a bit of a faff there with Subaru. Toyota comes out cheaper many a times.  The reason for Subaru being a bit more exp on parts is that Subaru of Japan export it to Subaru of Europe  ( i think based in NL iirc) who apply their margin and send it to IM (International Motors), UK franchisee of Subaru. So there are 2 margins and 2 shipping charges added to the product while Toyota Japan buy it from Subaru Japan, stick a label on with part number and send it straight to their Toyota GB saving one round of commission and  shipping.

Top hose now replaced, wrapped and twisted so that I have a 7mm air gap.  I'm so glad I saw through replacing it, look what the exhaust had done to the underside of the original.

46776181171_7e345150d6_o.jpg

2 hours ago, MartinT said:

Top hose now replaced, wrapped and twisted so that I have a 7mm air gap.  I'm so glad I saw through replacing it, look what the exhaust had done to the underside of the original.

46776181171_7e345150d6_o.jpg

Ouch! That could have been very nasty. Will 7mm be enough - still sounds rather close? 

It's going to have to be, I see no way of opening up more of a gap.

To be honest, it was closer before and took a year to become a problem.  Now that there's no rubbing it should last longer.  Be sure that I'll be monitoring it closely.

It's going to have to be, I see no way of opening up more of a gap.
To be honest, it was closer before and took a year to become a problem.  Now that there's no rubbing it should last longer.  Be sure that I'll be monitoring it closely.
Well done for doing it yourself and creating a gap between manifold and the pipe. The heat had nearly eaten into the coolant pipe. Did you heat wrap the new pipe?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk