gavin_t

Big brake kit time?

Guest EB2429

Carbone Lorraine RC5+ seem to be good for these guys if anyone has tried them?

Thor chasing at Zolder

Oscar coming up from Spain and doing a few laps with Carbone Lorraine RC5+

The ring is very easy on pads, just throwing it out there. 

Good pads and a stock calliper will work just fine for most agreed by most here, for HARD driving to achieve a consistent and repeatable pedal throughout the day a BBK is the most sustainable way forward.

Guest EB2429
2 hours ago, Rich196 said:

The ring is very easy on pads, just throwing it out there. 

Good pads and a stock calliper will work just fine for most agreed by most here, for HARD driving to achieve a consistent and repeatable pedal throughout the day a BBK is the most sustainable way forward.

For HARD driving?  Were they not HARD driving? Seemed reasonably committed to me :) 

Guest EB2429

You know the first circuit is Zolder right? 

2nd vid 8:28 on that simple windy road is very good. 

These people who can't drive on standard brakes...:D

13 hours ago, EB2429 said:

For HARD driving?  Were they not HARD driving? Seemed reasonably committed to me :) 

3 hours ago, EB2429 said:

You know the first circuit is Zolder right? 

2nd vid 8:28 on that simple windy road is very good. 

These people who can't drive on standard brakes...:D

8:28 is a good lap but isnt that fast for a car of the spec. But its not down the brakes iv been quicker on STOCK CALLIPERS no problem, it the fleshy bit between the steering wheel and the seat the only thing slowing it down there.  You see that STOCK CALLIPERS aren't the limiting factor, on a track that isnt that demanding on brakes.

58 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

I dont remember quoting you but I generally ignore your waffle anyway after your comedy quote about putting a spoiler on an mx5 :)

I dont claim to be an expert but what i do have is experience of the things I'm talking about as i have owned and tried and made mistakes with them unlike others who just read about them on the internet 

seeing as you are an expert please post some of the pictures of the cars you have built and the parts you comment about on them as i'm genuinely interested

see pictures below, on the 450 bhp impreza i built i had,brembos then d2/ksport and bc coilovers, there are several pictures of me doing various track stuff,from santa pod,rockingham and also competing in totb, also see the mr2 i built for my mrs with a 2jz conversion which also competed in totb.

so my postings are based on experience of actually using the stuff i comment about, see bc coilovers,brembos,ksport/d2 brakes,the mr2 incidentally was ok on oem set up with ferodo pads due to its light weight

20120209_140713-1-1.jpg

20130218_114755.jpg

[000047].jpg

20121005_133712.jpg

1367448290507.jpg

[000317].jpg

[000540].jpg

But what's your actual experience on the 86 platform? It appears from your posts there isn't really any? I'm sure we can all bring up stuff from other cars but it's not really relevant to the 86 as it's not the same car

Just now, Tubbytommy said:

currently building, it takes a lot of time.

obviously i had oem brakes that were rubbish

i know have ap on the front and sti hatch ap on the rear.

coilovers in the process of being fitted and forced induction over the winter several track days in the car already and will be competing in totb next year in the car

Share the pictures of your 86 track days then 👍

2 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

why are you doubting me??

I'm unsure i have any as most of my pics come from others but i will have a check just for you to indulge your strange jealous vendetta.

in life sometimes you need to accept others have more experience/money than you. its not a bad thing its just the way it is x

Because you seem to be talking mostly complete shite and coming across as one of those people who think that only their way is correct and everyone else is an idiot. Yet you don't actually seem to have a great deal of evidence or experience on the 86 platform to support what you are saying. 

You also put kisses at the end of posts, which for an old bloke is feckin weird 🤷‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

?

how do you gain experinece?

by doing it, i'm new to the platform granted, but not new to modifying cars for track use.

been there done that as you say.

please post the pics of your extensive builds with the different brakes and suspension you have tried :)

My build thread is here:-

I've tried six suspension set ups on the 86 and about 15 spring rate set ups. I've also tried a number of alignment set ups. All of this is actual experience on the 86 platform. I haven't tried a BBk on my 86 (although have driven 86's equipped with them) as I don't need one currently. I nearly purchased one earlier this year but have found that endurance pads and uprated fluid are sufficient for the 20-30 minute stints I run so don't see the point of a BBk although I will consider one in the future for the simple reason of cheaper consumables over all. 

I've done around 15 trackdays in the 86 and probably a similar amount of Curborough sprints. 

I've built a number of cars over the last 25 years of driving but none are relevant here as they're not an 86 and what works on one car is not guaranteed to work on another. 

I'm also not telling people that what I've done to my car is the only way and you can't drive if you do anything different to what I've done 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

36 pages and the end result is a n/a mostly standard car with a garish bodykit.

wow well done, when are you in f1 :)

carbon bonnet is my favourite very fast and furious 

And there shows your complete ignorance for this platform. 

33 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

Better to have the real thing than fake ebay items ;)

Doesn't seem to relate to anything here  but OK 🤷‍♂️

Something we can agree on at least I guess 👍

4 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

If someone starts a thread on the benefits of garish body mods I'll bow down to your experience 

As that's something I have no experience in or desire to try and you're an expert on

What? 

You were on about fake ebay items not being as good as originals. I agree. 

If you don't know about the Varis bonnet benefits and the effects of the Verus splitter and diffuser just Google, you'll find the details fairly easily and the data validation to substantiate it. 

9 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

My last word on it.

Me and you will never agree,we have both gone different routes.

I offered my experience of oem brakes and bbk based on EXPERIENCE of owning both

You who have never owned a bbk on a gt86 got butt hurt for some reason, probably jealousy but who knows.

You dont like my car, I think yours looks absolutely ridiculous and after browsing your 36 page thread in my opinion you have a near standard gt86 that's been cosmetically ruined inside and out.

Not at all the route I will go but that's why we are all different.

👍

I have never said I disliked your car - there's not really much done to it to make it any different to loads of the 86's out there so there's nothing to dislike. 

Hi all, wasn’t trying to start a forum war but have always valued peoples opinions who have ‘been there and done/ tried it’.

For track days and Sprints, what disc & pad combo seems to work best or does just upgrading the pads and fluid work?

Thanks in advance

23 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

I've been there and done it, unlike others

Sprints oem may be ok

Track days if you want to not worry about fade and other issues get bbk

Cheers, that’s kinda what I was thinking as I will be doing a few track days and wanted to have confidence with the brakes.

Just also wondered what people ran with OEM setup 👍

2 hours ago, Church said:

What tires? (model/size)

Hi Church, I’ve bought a set of 17 x 8 with 225/45 conti sport contact (but might change them for PS4,s).

I may also have an 18” option but will try the others first

Cheers

Burtie178: that may wonder a bit offtopic, thus:

conti sport contact 6 IIRC were in somewhat similar class with PS4S, (non-S PS4 were more street oriented like premiumcontact 6), GEF1SS, PSS, AD08R. Not bad grip wise, if this review is to believe. If you plan on tracking, i wouldn't switch to PS4 (as probably you meant those, not PS4S, which aren't available @EU in 17"), from my experience PS4 was very good street tire, but under track abuse a bit easy to overheat/started wear in weird way forming lips on thread patches.

Good grip, so higher speeds, a bit more taxing on brakes, i'd think of good brake fluid (eg. ProjectMu G-Four 335, Endless RF650, Castrol SRF, Brembo HTC 64T, or on cheaper side Motul 660 or 600), and more track pads then hybrid pads. Carbotech XP-8/10/12, Winmax W5/6, PMu Club Racer. CSG spec C1 probably will be outside your budget. These porsche ducts (997.341.484.92  997.341.483.92) also seem nice cheap bit to extract more. Problem with these pads though, that they might bring issues for daily driving use. Best bet would be switching between track/street pads sets (for street i liked ferodo DS2500. They arguably may also take light tracking with reasonably short track sessions (10-15m), but i wouldn't call them real track pads. Good & cheap as street & hybrid pads though, think of OEM+). CSG ones brake good/relatively quiet on street too .. but dust more then any other pad i've seen, so unless you want to pressure wash wheels every second day .. and what's more, pay half of BBK cost for just pads .. :)

If you never tracked before, i'd think of performance alignment, as stock alignment might be too understeer biased and certainly of insufficient overall camber for even tire wear/contact/grip on track. Camber is best dialed via tempprobe, but -3dg front camber, zero toe, -2.5dg rear camber, slight toe in +0.1deg should get roughly into ballpark for many. Unfortunately no camber adjustment on these cars stock, only toe is adjustable. With stock shocks/ride height camberbolts in both holes will net ~ -2.3, for upping to -3 one can add powerflex LCA bushing (pff69-801g) or pedder offset topmounts (PED-580096). For rear one needs adjustable aftermarket LCA, from which cheapest are multiple stock-alike stamped steel clones like SPC/Whiteline/Eibach/Moog.

Though at very first track day i wouldn't do any mods at all, to feel by oneself limitations or things one may want different. Well, except maybe higher boiling temp brake fluid & better pads (on first ever trackday in my experience i arrived in completely stock car, including stock pads/fluid and prius tires. It tought me a lot :)). For example - feel front pushing too much, - wish to change grip bias, seeing how mostly front tire outsides get ripped - why more camber might be beneficial, if starting loosing brakes, how much not fit for purpose stock fluid/pads lasted, and such. Much better if one understands from own experience, if and what handling trait one wishes to change and to what extent, what are limitations one hits, which mods fix what and what may get compromised (eg. NVH/DD compliance), instead of blindly throwing in modifications/installing parts.

Also worth to bring on trackday at very least air pressure gauge (and let out excess, as tires heat up) or play with front/rear pressures to temporary change grip bias, and more then worth to receive some HPDE tuition by track instructors. They can make learning curve much steeper. Suggest to not do power increase mods or going to very grippy track slicks. They will noticeably increase track spendings, but won't fasten actual learning if not opposite.