Daninplymouth

Alloy wheel help

Hi, after spending months looking I am almost ready to buy my new alloys. I have narrowed it down to 4 sets, though I am open to more suggestions if anyone has any.

My wants are 17x8 ET35 and lighter than stock, my choices are below. Does anyone have any feedback against any of these?

enkei PF01, originally planned the rpf1 due to their weight but I just can’t get past the looks of them 

tsw Nurburgring 

oz  alleggerita 

oz ultraleggera 

2 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Have you considered RAYS Gramlights? They're all about 8.2KG-8.7KG in 17" Options vs 9.2KG OEM wheel..

57ANA_269.jpg

57FXX_17.jpg

57XTREME_06.jpg57XMA_772.jpg?timestamp=1546447768305

57BNA_496.jpg

57XTC_493.jpg

57transcend_099.jpg

I like the 3rd set down on the silver car what width and offset are these? as I found a lot of the rays that I like don’t have a low offset or the width I want 8” or maybe 8.5” only really

26 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

Did see these and do like them I just the wrong sizing for me

No worries!

why is it you’re going for 8/8.5? 

39 minutes ago, ALB453 said:

No worries!

why is it you’re going for 8/8.5? 

It’s because I only really want to run a 225 tyre if I turbo in the future I might go up to a 235 but can’t see why I would want anything bigger on a daily driver

What colour is your car? I think that makes a huge difference when choosing wheels. You can't go wrong with any of your choices, they are all good quality and good looking wheels.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

My car is white.

The more I look though the more I am tempted to move to 18s I don’t know if it’s just me but a lot of the 17s seem really small in the arches on these and with the bigger tyre make it look a little lost. I went against 18s for a performance perspective but much prefer the look and if I can get a slightly lighter set would the handling be much worse? I would think it would handle sharper with the lower profiles on the 18s

In my eyes even 16 (#1 #2 #3 #4) & 15" (#1 #2 #3) wheels look well on these cars. You just have to know how to cook 'em :)

I see no need to pay for 18", unless it's to clear some specific BBK, and have heavier wheels, more expensive tires, less road comfort.

4 hours ago, Daninplymouth said:

Thanks for the feedback so far.

My car is white.

The more I look though the more I am tempted to move to 18s I don’t know if it’s just me but a lot of the 17s seem really small in the arches on these and with the bigger tyre make it look a little lost. I went against 18s for a performance perspective but much prefer the look and if I can get a slightly lighter set would the handling be much worse? I would think it would handle sharper with the lower profiles on the 18s

A 17" wheel can look just fine, you have to lower it though. I run a 17x8 but run 215/45's. I tried 225/45 but there was too much sidewall flex and a bit too much grip for my liking. Any 18" wheel will be heavier than the same wheel in 17". I like my wheels as light as possible and appreciate the difference, but it depends whether you prefer looks over handling and how important that is to you of course. 

38613717830_e944b2c82d_c.jpgDealer demo and my car by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

I would like them to be light light.

I think I have decided on the PF01 as these are about 8kg I think so lighter than stock and I like the look of these. Although I do still keep looking at the RPF1 but really not to struck on the looks with them. I am trying to find some photos in silver as the ones I have seen are black and I think this doesn’t help with making them look smaller, but these are lighter again and cheaper so trying to weigh up if that’s worth more than than the better looking to me Pf01’s 🤔

You can try route i went for. - for lightness to go for forged wheels, but for price to be reasonable, - buy used ones. That may limit width/offset choices and maybe minor cosmetic defects though. Still, now i have 6.2kg taneisya T6 17x7.5 for summer for 350e set, and for winter 5.#kg ssr type-c 16x7 for 400e set. Cheaper then good cast wheels set if bought new.

If I go for a 17x8 and 225/45  will I notice the taller sidewalls? As this is the only thing that worry’s me if it dulls the handling and feels soft, I would be running pilot sport 4 XL load. 

Would I notice much difference if I ran a 18x8 wheel that was similar weight? As I was thinking the smaller profile 225/40 would sharpen the handling more than the 17s?

I have found an 18” wheel I like, that is about .5kg lighter than the 17s I was looking at so would there be any negative with using this it’s mainly my daily car but I am planning on a few track days in the future

21 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

If I go for a 17x8 and 225/45  will I notice the taller sidewalls? As this is the only thing that worry’s me if it dulls the handling and feels soft, I would be running pilot sport 4 XL load. 

Would I notice much difference if I ran a 18x8 wheel that was similar weight? As I was thinking the smaller profile 225/40 would sharpen the handling more than the 17s?

I have found an 18” wheel I like, that is about .5kg lighter than the 17s I was looking at so would there be any negative with using this it’s mainly my daily car but I am planning on a few track days in the future

I would say yes. Better to run 215/45/17's on a 17x8. I've tried both and I didn't like the extra sidewall flex, whereas running a 215 it took all the flex out of it and was much sharper. I've now ran this setup for the last four years or so. For me, it's a great setup. 18x8 will mean heavier wheels which has no good side to it, it depends how sensitive/fussy you are. With a 225/40/18 it's better on sidewall flex than a 225/45/17 of course. 

I would say yes. Better to run 215/45/17's on a 17x8. I've tried both and I didn't like the extra sidewall flex, whereas running a 215 it took all the flex out of it and was much sharper. I've now ran this setup for the last four years or so. For me, it's a great setup. 18x8 will mean heavier wheels which has no good side to it, it depends how sensitive/fussy you are. With a 225/40/18 it's better on sidewall flex than a 225/45/17 of course. 
Can we go 225/45 on the OE 17*7 rim and will it make the car better at handling bumps in daily driving?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Can we go 225/45 on the OE 17*7 rim and will it make the car better at handling bumps in daily driving?

I think you can just about get away with that, but I would think it would make the handling feel soft. I know some people don’t like the 225/45 on an 8’ rim so I would think on a narrower rim this would make the sidewalls feel even softer 

9 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

You can, but a 225 is a bit wide for a 7" wheel, so the sidewall issue will be worse it will take away feel. As for bumps, maybe. 

On 02/01/2019 at 7:33 PM, Daninplymouth said:

Did see these and do like them I just the wrong sizing for me

I have TC105Ns in 17x8 (ET42) they are very light, under 7Kg, but not cheap.

Looks like they have been superceded by the TC105X, which looks pretty similar. 17x8 ET42 is still listed: http://wedssport.jp/products/english/spectable/tc105x.pdf

RRP is ¥48,500 which is roughly £344.

Their EU shop has them for €460! https://shop.weds-europe.com/home/133-37013-wedssport-tc105x.html#/50-wheel_size_wedssport-17x80j_et42/124-pcd-5h_100

I got mine from Sumo Power, currently listed at £500 a pop: https://www.sumopower.com/Brands/WEDSSPORT/TC-105N/WEDSSPORT-TC-105N-1708042-500-TS-TI-72309
Not that different to mine,
I got them pre-Brexit when the exchange rate was more favourable. £1500 delivered.