GT86Reece

Faulty Electronic Wing Mirror

Hi all,

Has anyone else experienced a faulty wing mirror when pressing the fold / unfold button? My drivers side one no longer folds in or out, but the passenger side one seems fine. I can hear the mechanics moving inside the wing mirror, but nothing happens so it seems to have perhaps detached from the mechanics?

Is this an easy fix or would it just be easier to take to a garage?

Cheers,

Reece

BTW, not the case of freezing together due winter after some washing? If you start moving by hand, it won't later start again to properly fold-unfold by itself once ice between parts is broken?

(happened to me two weeks ago)

Unfortunately not, it's been like this since the summer I just completely forgot to post about it until now! I've tried moving it by hand to try and somehow connect it back up to the mechanics but it still refuses to fold / unfold itself :(

My drivers side mirror no longer folds in and out, the passenger side is fine. I did partially crush mine against a telegraph pole about four years ago and though it worked after that in the last 6 months it's given up. I guess mine is due to the earlier damage. I admit, I haven't tried botthering to fix mine and pull it in manually by hand and push it back out on the odd occasion I feel it necessary to fold the mirror. At least the passenger side still works as it's a tad harder to reach. 

Until today I hadn't investigated my non folding mirror but having to sit and wait for folk I found myself having a play with it. I decided to have a listen to see if the mirror motor was actually working but from the inside it was inaudible. I opened the door a had a closer listen and "its alive". All I did next was press the button and  give the mirror a gentle helping hand to set it off and it now works as intended. I can only imagine that the mechanism had become un-indexed for whatever reason and some general help in the right direction has aligned it all up again. An easy fix and worth having a closer listen to see if your mirror motors are in fact  still working

Never had an issue driving the car daily, but I started to experience problems with my passenger wing mirror when I stopped using the car to commute and only used it infrequently. I once left it about a week and on start up, the mirror refused to unfold (I have the auto folding module so they unfold on ignition). I shut off the the car and press the ignition again and it unfolded fine. 

I squirted some WD40 into the mechanism which seemed to sort it for a bit, but the issue did come back. Next time I washed the car I gave the whole housing where it meets the support arm a good blast with the pressure washer. Again, this seemed to fix it, but it has happened once or twice since. I reckon it's just starting to stick now that it's being used less. A bit annoying, but now when I get in the car, I tend to just press the ignition only (which causes the mirrors to unfold) and check they open correctly, then I start the engine. If they don't unfold, they usually do so on the second attempt.

An old thread I know, but my passenger door hasn't folded since I purchased the car, I have been looking out for a used mirror to install new electronics /motors etc. Today I had a flat battery🔋 (queue of people buying new ones 😬) fitted new battery, got back from a test drive - door mirror works!!, great smooth operation, seems the disconnection of the battery reset something. Might be worth a try to see if this works if you have a stuck mirror - I did have to reset the rev limit indicator but hey ho, the pain of paying for a new battery more than offset for having a working mirror. 😜