mfnick

No Sound From USB Connection

I’ve recently got a 13 plate BRZ. When I connect my iPhone to the usb slot at the base of the dash near the gear stick no sound comes out. The head unit shows the track information and shows the time moving as though it’s playing but there’s no sound. Any ideas why this might be? 

Think you need usb and audio jack with an iphone ... check the manual ...

My daughter had same problem with her Bini and a cable with both connections solved it ... (then the radio packed up!)

As Gazza said, You need to connect the 3.5mm audio jack to Aux in just next to USB and if you have a new iPhone you need that port conversion thing as apple has kindly decided to let the 3.5mm audio jack out.
If you use a USB drive /pen drive, then it works seamlessly.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Ah right, that sounds a bit stupid having to use both but ok. 

I’ll see about connecting via Bluetooth as well then. Just always preferred straight usb connection. 

Thanks

OE audio & satnav solutions almost for all vendors always lag a lot in features and support. It needs to be certified by many standards and adhere many obscure requirements, it often lasts alongside life of many car models for 5+ years, so no wonder that most OE solutions are prehistoric and only on very latest models with especially marketed for new multimedia features they are not prehistoric, but just dated. Only aftermarket car audio vendors more or less keep up with generic consumer electronic progress. I'd say, we are lucky to not have tape recorders in our cars :). As for music .. my own choice on OE headunits of these cars would be using usb flash with mp3. Flashdrives are hell of a cheap for 32-64-128G sizes and can fit most music from average music collections many have. Of course, there also are some limitations, as in what filesystem type needs to be used, specific dir structure to ease selection/navigation or having mp3 tags entered for all files (depending if having satnav module or not, as IIRC it changed also mp3 playback firmware bit), but overall by simplicity and ease of use my choice would be mp3 off usb.

Thanks a lot for the info. Do you know if it’ll read AAC files from a flash drive. All my music is that type as it’s been ripped to iTunes. If so il get a decent flash drive. 

Firmware of T&G 1st gen is rather limited just like headunit itself. Probably might play only mp3, and may fail with something like aac/flash (i'm guessing). Not that difficult to reencode though. Maybe T&G 2 for MY2017 have wider supported format list, but i wouldn't expect much from 1st gen T&G, already more then 5 years old.

Guest 86guns
3 hours ago, mfnick said:

Fair enough, thanks. Worth a try.

To the people where it’s working, are yours more recent than 2013? 

2015 model. 

IIRC 2015 still should have very same headunits as older ones. Not familiar how it's with BRZ, but wasn't headunit among those things that was changed for refresh, MY2017 (including now on-steering-wheel controls)?

IIRC 2015 still should have very same headunits as older ones. Not familiar how it's with BRZ, but wasn't headunit among those things that was changed for refresh, MY2017 (including now on-steering-wheel controls)?
Correct, till 2017 just old school CD player without sat nav or Bluetooth unless customer went for a 1600£ pioneer upgrade. 2018 onwards subaru starlink based touch screen with apple car play and android auto.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Default - no bluetooth unless 1600£?! I may dislike T&G for toyota sibling, but seems that i should be happy with it coming stock in all trims. Does default brz unit at least support mp3 off usb?

Mine has the pioneer upgrade with Bluetooth so that’s something. Strange how the usb works for some but not all though. Even a quick google search seems to show a lot of people with the same issue and lots who don’t with no definitive answer why. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to put up with it. 

5 hours ago, Church said:

Default - no bluetooth unless 1600£?! I may dislike T&G for toyota sibling, but seems that i should be happy with it coming stock in all trims. Does default brz unit at least support mp3 off usb?

Stock MY17 BRZ unit plays usb mp3 tracks. Also has aux port. Upgrade (Alpine) plays usb but aux is disabled but then you get bluetooth, DAB+ & satnav ... and yes .. expensive upgrade!