Cheethers85

New owner questions

Hi,

I'm wanting to purchase a GT86/BRZ next spring and will have about 10k to spend. It seems now that that amount isn't going to get much!

What are they like for depreciation? I'm hoping they drop a little by May/June.

Also, many people running mods on them? I'll be coming from a 0-60 6.1 second Meg RS265 to this and I know it isn't all about speed, but these don't look like they set your pants on fire. Have many people done forced induction at all?

Thanks.

I came from a mountune tuned focus MR290 to a BRZ and on the country roads to work the BRZ is just a quick and you are not waiting for the turbo to spool, but it is lighter on its feet.

Hi,
I'm wanting to purchase a GT86/BRZ next spring and will have about 10k to spend. It seems now that that amount isn't going to get much!
What are they like for depreciation? I'm hoping they drop a little by May/June.
Also, many people running mods on them? I'll be coming from a 0-60 6.1 second Meg RS265 to this and I know it isn't all about speed, but these don't look like they set your pants on fire. Have many people done forced induction at all?
Thanks.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Many turbo even family cars & SUVs can win it in straight line. But in twin you can outbrake / outturn them, and enjoy better handling/more fun of driving. Don't expect from it what it isn't (fast straight line accelerating car), try it as it is meant to (relatively cheap good handling momentum car with slightly more practicality them mx5) at eg. some twisty road and very probably you won't be dissapointed. Hard to judge how many and to what extent mod them. After all, majority probably run stock, are not in forum and probably are not participating in any meets, while many forum users may mod to some extent theirs. It's hard to draw any statistics from niche of users that are here and try to generalize upon all the possible average owners of these cars.

BTW, i suggest first simply to test drive one, if it's what you really want. Nothing will tell you better if twins will be to your liking or not, and if lack of FI pushing into seats may set you off more then good handling in twisties. After all, different people do have different preferences, and there is nothing wrong with liking something else. And own testdrive will tell much better then words of people that may like different things

39 minutes ago, br0wny said:

I came from a 4 second flat to 60, 420bhp/450lbft tuned bmw m135i and I much prefer the gt86. Need I say more?

Last Friday, I had the opportunity to drive a 560bhp EVO 6 TM so would have been rude to refuse. The thing was just bonkers. Not a lot until about 4750 rpm then it just went nuts. Straight line power, whilst addictive, isn't everything. I wasn't disappointed driving my '86 home, however I WOULD like a little more in a straight line, but definitely not at the expense of drivability. I would love to have a drive of a forced induction '86 to sample the power delivery for myself. 

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

Last Friday, I had the opportunity to drive a 560bhp EVO 6 TM so would have been rude to refuse. The thing was just bonkers. Not a lot until about 4750 rpm then it just went nuts. Straight line power, whilst addictive, isn't everything. I wasn't disappointed driving my '86 home, however I WOULD like a little more in a straight line, but definitely not at the expense of drivability. I would love to have a drive of a forced induction '86 to sample the power delivery for myself. 

very nice! the evo 6 will still be very raw too unlike the bmw which was very numb and quite boring. I have my 86 in for the TD N/A package in february which will hopefully just add that bit of extra fizz it needs but more importantly remove the torque dip, otherwise I don't really feel the need for Fi personally. 30mph in the 86 feels like 80mph in the bmw etc etc 

I think once you've got NA tune with decat manifold it addresses the mid range dip and is a lot more fun to drive. Also reasonably priced mod, making it a no-brainer IMO. If its for daily/ weekend driving then with better pads and different tyres it may be all you need.

I ended up going with TD Turbo package (and few supporting mods) though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You are going to be severely limited in choice with a 10k budget. There aren't many around so they tend to hold their value pretty well. Prices drop and seem to be holding around the 12k Mark. If you can dig around for another 2k you will have so much more choice.

You are going to be severely limited in choice with a 10k budget. There aren't many around so they tend to hold their value pretty well. Prices drop and seem to be holding around the 12k Mark. If you can dig around for another 2k you will have so much more choice.
This is spot on. I've been following the price on these cars for several years now. In the last couple years they've ranged from 13-15k for a decent one but they now seem to be sticking at 12k. ABIT under 12k you're looking at higher mileage ones but I'd say 14-16k you can get some pretty good ones.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, br0wny said:

very nice! the evo 6 will still be very raw too unlike the bmw which was very numb and quite boring. I have my 86 in for the TD N/A package in february which will hopefully just add that bit of extra fizz it needs but more importantly remove the torque dip, otherwise I don't really feel the need for Fi personally. 30mph in the 86 feels like 80mph in the bmw etc etc 

Interesting to hear about the BMW. Yes, the EVO was raw but honestly, the power was in such a short band. On the road, I just don't think I could live with it. 

Also, I thought grey ones were rare. There's three of us replied here! Ha. 

Friend of mine has grey AT. Hmm, it might be very subjective thing, and of course state/mileage should be prioritized, but given choice i'd prefer other colors. Black, white, orange, red, or in case of BRZ - also blue. Grey seems a bit too bland.

3 hours ago, Church said:

Friend of mine has grey AT. Hmm, it might be very subjective thing, and of course state/mileage should be prioritized, but given choice i'd prefer other colors. Black, white, orange, red, or in case of BRZ - also blue. Grey seems a bit too bland.

I do really like the orange. White would have been my first choice with orange second. 

On 17/12/2018 at 4:15 PM, br0wny said:

I came from a 4 second flat to 60, 420bhp/450lbft tuned bmw m135i and I much prefer the gt86. Need I say more?

I came from a remapped BMW 335d M-Sport Coupe with 370bhp / 700nm torque (yes, you read that right) and I still prefer my BRZ.  It gives me more driving fun, is more challenging and is far more rewarding to drive.

10 hours ago, MartinT said:

I came from a remapped BMW 335d M-Sport Coupe with 370bhp / 700nm torque (yes, you read that right) and I still prefer my BRZ.  It gives me more driving fun, is more challenging and is far more rewarding to drive.

At what rpm was it making 700nm! 

Recalling one of old topgear reviews for amg merc. Where traction light was lit permanently, even driving on dry tarmac. But all that POWEEEER, and probably all that driving fun on such cars are gained at licence-schredding speeds :).

On 18/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, matrixprotein said:

This is spot on. I've been following the price on these cars for several years now. In the last couple years they've ranged from 13-15k for a decent one but they now seem to be sticking at 12k. ABIT under 12k you're looking at higher mileage ones but I'd say 14-16k you can get some pretty good ones.

Seconded. I've also been watching prices, waiting for them to drop. I expected the usual things like the end of the 5 year warranties and the release of the facelift model to cause a dip in values, but it just never happened. 

There's the odd one appears on gumtree <£10k, but usually some pick'n'mix of high mileage/badly modded/CAT S/N... £12k seems your basic ad price for a '12 plate with 50k miles and a bog standard spec.

9 hours ago, Church said:

Recalling one of old topgear reviews for amg merc. Where traction light was lit permanently, even driving on dry tarmac. But all that POWEEEER, and probably all that driving fun on such cars are gained at licence-schredding speeds :).

Agreed, after my initial intoxication with the acceleration it became unwise to do it all the time.  In all other respects, the BMW was too heavy to have fun with and was frankly rather a handful in the wet.

I have said this before on here, but my main issue with the GT86 engine for me, isn't the 0-60 or the lack of power, it is actually in the way it delivers it's power, the power delivery, in my opinion is very dull. Honda were getting 200bhp put of their 2 litre NA engines nearly 20 years ago, the difference is, vtec makes it fun. 

The other slight issue is that when rolling roaded none of the the GT86's are actually producing the power they are supposed to, they are more like 180-185bhp. 

Honda were getting 100bhp/1lr 20 years ago, when emission requirements were way way way more lax. It was getting harder and harder to keep on and even they, in my eyes best NA inline-4 makers, gave up. Current type-R has forced induction - does it says something to you? High efficiency NA engines becoming thing of past (excluding poster super cars mere mortals won't own) and in that light i have high respect for toyobaru for FA20.

I have said this before on here, but my main issue with the GT86 engine for me, isn't the 0-60 or the lack of power, it is actually in the way it delivers it's power, the power delivery, in my opinion is very dull. Honda were getting 200bhp put of their 2 litre NA engines nearly 20 years ago, the difference is, vtec makes it fun. 
The other slight issue is that when rolling roaded none of the the GT86's are actually producing the power they are supposed to, they are more like 180-185bhp. 

@church has answered the first point you make brilliantly. On the other one, there is only one tuner, who does before readings properly for every car, which is TD. If you see their map posts , there are some in 180s but many in 190s too. There will always be some variation engine to engine.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Nails said:

The secret is entirely in the exhaust manifold, and it may be in having UEL. Whatever, I think that plus a tune makes the engine deliver plenty of midrange torque and feel much more lively, too. You still need to be in the right gear, but, boy, catch 3rd just right and the car accelerates impressively. I also like the noise it makes, again perhaps only with the UEL version.

2 minutes ago, MartinT said:

The secret is entirely in the exhaust manifold, and it may be in having UEL. Whatever, I think that plus a tune makes the engine deliver plenty of midrange torque and feel much more lively, too. You still need to be in the right gear, but, boy, catch 3rd just right and the car accelerates impressively. I also like the noise it makes, again perhaps only with the UEL version.

An equal length manifold is superior to the unequal one. The secret is in the manifold, losing the primary cat and the cam timing more likely. 

19 hours ago, Nails said:

I agree its definitely not the jewel in the crown on this car but then again Honda weren't making nearly 200bhp at less than 7000rpm to Euro 6 standards.  The torque dip ruins the power delivery though.

15 hours ago, Lauren said:

An equal length manifold is superior to the unequal one. The secret is in the manifold, losing the primary cat and the cam timing more likely. 

Superior? More like marginal. Unless you are chasing the ultimate peak figure there is not really anything in it, the choice is primarily preference on the sound.